Scholar

Experiencing negative effects on L-theanine

14 posts in this topic

I have been experimenting with L-Theanine for some time now and it seems like it doesn't really work well for me. It makes me super spaced out, feeling empty but relaxed. I can't really visualize on it at all, it makes drawing for me really difficult. It's like there is nothing there, I feel really floaty.

I have been combining it with coffee aswell and it doesn't really do much for my focus.

Anyone here had similar effects? Might it be just a bad supplement or what? I can't really work this way so I will stop using it. It also makes it harder for me to fall asleep when I take it in the evening.

I don't have this kind of feeling when I drink green or black tea.

Glory to Israel

What brand of L-theanine are you using? You may want to switch it up, I can recommend a good brand for you thats worked for me. 

Why are you using it? For focus mainly? Theres other nootropics that can help with that too, like Lions Mane. Huperzine A is also a powerful focus nootropic that has worked for me in the past. 

For L-theanine I use 200mg pills occasionally, if I take them multiple days in a row or multiple times in a day it kind of looses its effect. Works better for me when spaced out. I actually just prefer making a matcha green tea latte with matcha powder and cacao and that gives me a lot of focus, as the matcha has natural theanine in it. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

ive read reports that Theanine can dissociate you a bit... personally ive never ever felt that, but its out there, go search reddit

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

52 minutes ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

What brand of L-theanine are you using? You may want to switch it up, I can recommend a good brand for you thats worked for me. 

Why are you using it? For focus mainly? Theres other nootropics that can help with that too, like Lions Mane. Huperzine A is also a powerful focus nootropic that has worked for me in the past. 

For L-theanine I use 200mg pills occasionally, if I take them multiple days in a row or multiple times in a day it kind of looses its effect. Works better for me when spaced out. I actually just prefer making a matcha green tea latte with matcha powder and cacao and that gives me a lot of focus, as the matcha has natural theanine in it. 

It's from Nature's Trove. I might try another one but I am not sure if it's worth the money. I take Lions Mane too and it does increase productivity somewhat but I wouldn't say it's significant.

I might give Huperzine A a go, never heard of it before.

Glory to Israel

11 hours ago, Scholar said:

It's from Nature's Trove. I might try another one but I am not sure if it's worth the money. I take Lions Mane too and it does increase productivity somewhat but I wouldn't say it's significant.

I might give Huperzine A a go, never heard of it before.

The theanine I bought was from SYM nutrition.

Yeah Huperzine A is powerful stuff, its derived from a chinese moss I think, it should be cycled on/off too. The effect is definitely more noticeable than other nootropic 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Theanine is powerful for people experiencing sudden onset of depressions or mania or who are excessive stimulated. But taken just to be more "chilled" for a balanced person may indeed result in what you decribe. 

You may have also overdosed. How many mg did you take? A good starting dose is 50mg. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Theanine is powerful for people experiencing sudden onset of depressions or mania or who are excessive stimulated. But taken just to be more "chilled" for a balanced person may indeed result in what you decribe. 

You may have also overdosed. How many mg did you take? A good starting dose is 50mg. 

Personally Ive taken 200mg-400mg and not felt a thing, cept a little relaxation. Funny how different people experience in different ways, and Im an HSP even.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Are you on a healthy diet? Do you get enough of sleep? 

I gave L-theanine to my girlfriend and she felt dizzy for like hours, but with me it work just fine.

Again, this shows us that nootropics, just like psychedelics have different effects on different folks. 

Try Matcha instead because nature always works better. Supplements are missing the rest of their body so its a hit or miss.

B R E A T H E

On 9/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

Can you subjectively feel Lions Mane? I keep hearing good things about it, and am curious.

I've never heard of Huperzine A, curious.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

17 minutes ago, outlandish said:

Can you subjectively feel Lions Mane? I keep hearing good things about it, and am curious.

I've never heard of Huperzine A, curious.

Huperzine A is one of the only nootropics I could feel really amplifying my focus. Its still very subtle and its stronger the first few times its done in a while, but I felt in the zone on it. I bought it from doublewood supplements, they have 200mg pills, just one of those is good and as a substitute for caffeine it was effective for me. Definitely cycle a few days on/off or take a week or two off a few weeks of use. 

Lions Mane is not as noticeable as the Hup-A but is something I like to combine with either coffee or psilocybin. With coffee I can sometimes feel an enhancement of focus. I've taken it a few times with psilocybin microdosing and all those times were great. This combo was recommended by Paul Stamets (he says lions mane is supposed to improve the myelin sheath in nerve cells while psilocybin activates neurogenesis in the brain) I've only bought from one supplier, just make sure you buy one where it says the Lions Mane is from the fruiting body of the mushroom on the ingredient list. Theres probably big differences in quality from different suppliers. 

16 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

This combo was recommended by Paul Stamets

I've heard him recommend it as well, in multiple lectures, which is really what put it on my radar. I think he proposes to combine it with some other supplement as well as the magic mushroom microdose, but I forget which that supplement was. Niacin perhaps? Something that causes the extremeties of your circulatory system to dilate, to encourage dendritic growth at the farthest reaches of your brain and nervous system, (and also as a safety valve to make attempts to macro-dose the microdose uncomfortable)

I think lions mane grows wild in my area so I'll have to start looking for it.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandishthis clip has a lovely take on lions mane and what it’s been proven to do in tests with mice, worth watching if you haven’t seen it