Oliver Saavedra

Ways of calming the mind

12 posts in this topic

Couldn't find a list about practices for calming the mind on this forum, so maybe we could compile them. If you know a method please share it. 
Some of techniques here:

- All kinds of meditation
- Do nothing
- Observing the breath
- Mantra chanting
- Power naps
- Noticing thoughts and letting go
- Focusing on the space between thoughts
- Concentration
- Mental maps

The more you can relax the mind, the more you push it to work for you. 
Creating a calm mind is a long-term process, and to have it on a fast-paced distracted world is complicated, so practicing many techniques and habits is necessary.

Edited by Oliver Saavedra
Made it on mobile and the format changed

Connect to Create ☼♡

17 hours ago, Oliver Saavedra said:

so practicing many techniques and habits is necessary.

is it? I've also heard people recommend just picking one technique that you like and sticking with it.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

One don't need many, just do what works for you. For me:

- exercise (lifting or sport)

- eye scramble

Using one technique is ok. But when you use your mind a LOT and you work with lots of concepts, connecting dots, and creating new ideas, your mind tends to become hyper-active and then you REALLY need to learn to calm it down. Otherwise sleeping, resting, and meditation become very noisy. 

Connect to Create ☼♡

Sometimes the mind needs something to feed on, which paradoxically you find relaxing. Reading a book for example.

Don’t always assume it’s as passive as meditation, or doing nothing.

@studentofthegame Good point!

On 9/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, Oliver Saavedra said:

Couldn't find a list about practices for calming the mind on this forum, so maybe we could compile them. If you know a method please share it. 
Some of techniques here:

- All kinds of meditation
- Do nothing
- Observing the breath
- Mantra chanting
- Power naps
- Noticing thoughts and letting go
- Focusing on the space between thoughts
- Concentration
- Mental maps

The more you can relax the mind, the more you push it to work for you. 
Creating a calm mind is a long-term process, and to have it on a fast-paced distracted world is complicated, so practicing many techniques and habits is necessary.

Sensing the feet can also quiten the mind. To just observe the physical sensation.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Prayer.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Don't feed the mind with unnecessary overstimulation. TV, Social Media, Gossiping, News that is beyond your reach e.g what's going on in other side of the world.. Live simply, one with nature, long walks, gardening, farming, hiking, swimming, dancing, art, music, spending time in solitude. Anything that puts your attention and focus in the absolute present moment where the mind does not have any window to think as you are just being and just flowing with life. That's one way to go about it.

Basically what you consume on a daily basis with all your senses, yes even food and smell, things we see and hear all stimulate our minds in some way/shape/form so be mindful with everything that you do and or consume. Some stimulation is okay, over-stimulation is the main issue in the modern world.

Live mindfully, simply and peacefully :)

B R E A T H E

@Tistepiste It's a short term solution that dissipates spiralling negative thoughts.

All you have to do is move your eyes in unison to the 4 corners of your vision in any pattern you choose. Personally I like moving my eyes in a figure 8 pattern, but any pattern works. You repeat this pattern for 10-20 seconds to the tempo of a song you like, while humming. I find nursery rhymes work best.

The purpose of the technique is to get out of our head and into your body. Don't forget to laugh at the end at how silly you look and sound :) 

@Knock i really really need this. I often get stuck in thought loops / spirals than can last days, weeks, months sometimes years. Been stuck in one for two weeks now. I'll try this thanks!

My god i was just imagining humming twinkle twinkle little star while doing the crazy eyes thing you must look crazy doing it hahahah

Edited by Tistepiste

On 9/13/2019 at 2:32 AM, Knock said:

@Tistepiste  move your eyes in unison to the 4 corners of your vision in any pattern you choose.

I love this!, i do it when I wake up and feel like a machine calibrating haha
I'll try it with music and humming

Thanks everyone for your answers, I'll add them to the list:)

Connect to Create ☼♡