bensenbiz

spirituality and dark humour

13 posts in this topic

Since I am a teenager I have a side which loves to deal with dramatic things with humour. Later I found out that
espacially in Germany that people get offended and judge me for being a mean person. But dark humour
was always for me kind of more a playing then being serious about it. So I had to push these side a bit down
do "survive" in the society and could just enjoy this side with my closest friend.

Since I am on the path of an higher consciousness and acting more from the truth, I feel sometimes bad
when I do dark jokes or have dark comedy thoughts - it feels like its devilry but I am totally aware of it
that its really just humour and I am far away from being a mean, sadistic person.

I have bit the feeling that I am deluded about how a truthful person would be: like just kind, and not so much speaking etc. and trying to be this "ideal" spiritual person. But its clearly just an "Ego"-Product.

Iam wondering am I judging myself to hard on that?
Any experiences on the connection between thes dark humour and truth?
Especially the ones who could experience the truth?

Edited by bensenbiz

could you let go of your ideals of how a truthful person "should be"? 

observe closely if, when you make a joke, you actualy look down on the subject of the joke. You seem not to. I personaly make all kinds of jokes, even dark ones. I see no problem with them. But I am careful with what joke I make around which people. 

@ThinAir that reminds me on a french saying that „you can laugh about everything but not with everyone. 

when I observe it there is really nothing behind it - I just think human beings are fun. How we try to be badly serious. Its the judgment part afterwards that feels bad and I dont know if I need this reflection. 

@Andrew Rogers its interesting because I was in a sd green eviroment for a few years so very idealistic and left - and there I untrained my humour side because of to much „political correctness.“

That's my favorit humor + sarcasm/black story

I laughed on someone imitating Anders breivik thinking+killing ( he denounced the stupidity and child behavior white power cult thinking )

(He was my fav French French comic :  he is black ) has been red flag by French gov for being antisemitic and forbidden to play. 

I don't know if this is wrong to laugh of the stupidity of Man. I would dare to believe it is

Whatever all my Friends and me like this kind of humor. And Carl Jung would call that direct fight with the inner devil ! ( A Guess )

Edited by Aeris

Recorded in John Bennet's diary quoting Gurdjieff -

"Hell is only terrible first few days"....

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

"This is the difference between us and the angels. Angels are perfectly made and, therefore, naive and stupid; they can only do what they are made for. Humans have many more possibilities. There is more joy in heaven for one perfected human being than for a thousand angels."  - Ocke de Boer

" If you could float above the earth and become aware of all the negativity that is going on, you would never laugh again. The world is ruled by negative emotions."  - Ocke de Boer

" I hate to bother God. Sometimes when I'm drunk I Pray to Judas instead of that little skinny Jew" - Gurdjieff 

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

9 hours ago, bensenbiz said:

Since I am on the path of an higher consciousness and acting more from the truth, I feel sometimes bad
when I do dark jokes or have dark comedy thoughts - it feels like its devilry but I am totally aware of it
that its really just humour and I am far away from being a mean, sadistic person.

This is a tricky thing to navigate.

On one side i'd say the people who make dark humor jokes are the ones (Not all ofc) who truly understand how tragic events are. Otherwise the joke wouldn't be funny. It becomes funny exactly because the play on words includes something dark which adds a sort of shock factor. 

"Dark humor is like food not everybody gets it" would not be funny to me if I didn't recognize people starving as tragic. It takes advantage of the mechanism of using laughter and joy to cope with despair and sadness. Of course not everybody agrees with this, which means such topics has hurt their ego too much they can't even really think about it.

Authenticity is good, but that authenticity as you grow in consciousness will also include caring for those around you and knowing when dark humor will and won't cause suffering in others.

9 hours ago, bensenbiz said:

Iam wondering am I judging myself to hard on that?
Any experiences on the connection between thes dark humour and truth?
Especially the ones who could experience the truth?

Perhaps try and surround yourself around people with the same dark humor as you. 

@bensenbiz what is authentically funny to you? Don't stray from that, it's not authentic to change your sense of humor.

If you're like me, then pretty much everything is funny. Everything is ultimately a meme. Even the "dark" stuff. Realize that dark humor is only "dark" relative to societal norms. Dark humor is often shunned in the wake of political correctness, which is ironic because PC culture itself is perhaps the darkest, most dystopian path of all. Never be ashamed of who you are. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

4 hours ago, TheAvatarState said:

@bensenbiz what is authentically funny to you? Don't stray from that, it's not authentic to change your sense of humor.

If you're like me, then pretty much everything is funny. Everything is ultimately a meme. Even the "dark" stuff. Realize that dark humor is only "dark" relative to societal norms. Dark humor is often shunned in the wake of political correctness, which is ironic because PC culture itself is perhaps the darkest, most dystopian path of all. Never be ashamed of who you are. 

This right here is a great answer

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@TheAvatarState  thanks for this one - it resonates a lot with me.
And as
@Shadowraix  said: "Authenticity is good, but that authenticity as you grow in consciousness will also include caring for those around you and knowing when dark humor will and won't cause suffering in others."

So I think its a balance act and i have to master that in daily life.
But I would be still in interesting how would someone see it from a "truth"-perspective. Any ideas on that?