Actualizer777

How to keep waking up at the same time every day?

11 posts in this topic

Hey Actualizers!

Currently I am struggling with the problem of waking up at the same time every day. Science shows that it is benefitial to us to wake up and eat at the same time every day. This has to do with the circadian rhythm. People like Jordan Peterson (don't drift off into a discussion about him please) say it is very crucial for our mental well-being to wake up at the same time every day. Now I started trying waking up at 8am every day.

The problem is that right now I have 2 months of vacation and there is no need for me to wake up at any specific time. I can wake up at 8 or 10 or 12 it doesn't matter. I have an online business and it doesn't matter at what time I work at it. Also, at the same time I have friendships and a relationship that I want to maintain. And of course these people (who also have vacation right now) wake up around 11-12am and go to sleep around 2-3am. When I want to go to a birthday party or just do something else in the evening I have to unnecessarily sacrifice my sleep or just wake up later.

My general question right now is: How can you wake up at the same time every day? Life is not that static. Sometimes I need to stay up until 1 or 2 am and sometimes I can to to sleep at 9pm. What is the most reasonable aproach here? Sacrificing sleep? Making exceptions? Or do you think that it is just a shitty idea in general?

When you care about self-actualization and being healthy there are sacrifices to be made.

Get a steady sleep schedule, and plan accordingly. Sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time everyday, weekends included.

Yes you are going to miss parties, and you are going to need and learn to say "no" to your friends and family.

But, if you even have the slightest vision about what this can bring you long term you will know this is worth it.

It's not really about the number of hours.

To me, I can estimate how many hours I need to sleep in order to wake up fresh and alert.

It depends on your lifestyle, mood, diet, work, your posture throughout the day, your daily workout, routine, body relaxation, etc...

But mainly, it's about how many hours you train your self to sleep. Because your body will adapt the number of hours you give to it.

However, if you're still stubborn and you want to wake up at a certain time everyday, then you must always sleep early and almost at the same time every night.

Or at least, that's how it is for me.

TLDR: Set your alarm to 6/7/8 am every single day. When it rings, get up.  

Jokes aside: Life is not static, that is correct. But also: life is what you make it. It is all about priorities. And a healthy & consistent sleep schedule is undoubtedly among the biggest leverage you have in life. I would really try to establish a routine in which you wake up and go to bed within a 1-2h window. If that means getting only 6 hours once in a while that is OK. If you have a large enough sleep timebox of 8-9 hours you can "make up" for this. If you get up at the same time for a couple of weeks, your body will adjust; you will get tired earlier, etc.. 

I had and still have that problem. 

My problem is that I forget how useful it is to wake up early. I try to wake up at 5am every morning. Unfortunately, there are mornings where I let myself stay in bed until 6am. I really don't like when that happens.

I don't like it because the benefits of waking up at 5am every morning are that I get to spend an hour by myself having a smoothie, drinking coffee, and writing for an hour. I never get to do that unless I wake up at 5am!

Find something that makes you get up at 5am. That'll wake you up.

I think science isn't good to listen to for anything about how to live basically. I would just listen to your body and let it guide you. For example don't go check online how much you need to drink, or drink, just listen to your body. It tells you exactly what is good for you. Let your body tell you when it wants to go to sleep, every person might have a different natural sleep cycle. Discipline is misalignment from your Will/feelings/'body' and not conscious behavior

Edited by Waken

Discipline is misalignment from your Will/feelings/'body' and not conscious behavior

@Waken I doubt that you can get very far in this world without exerting any discipline at all...

@GrowthPilgrim @Waken  I very much agree with both of you.

Pardox is near. ?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

This is amazingly easy and it's amazingly amusing to see how people struggle with this, something that is trivial in the context of actualization.

Go to bed same time every night, get up at the same time every morning, never sleep in, patterns shall arise and you shall awaken before the alarm rings. 

If you want to make it easier, when the alarm rings, put on previously prepared clothes and go for a nice walk. No hesitance, just do it. If you don't have time, set the alarm earlier to create the time. A few paces and you're completely awake. 

Choose not to be a victim of circumstances. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today.