Adam M

How do You Take Notes While Reading?

9 posts in this topic

This is confusing for me.

I like to read while in bed and it is often uncomfortable for me to have my laptop with my commonplace book open and with me at all times so that I can take notes. 

Do you take notes while you are reading? I always read with a pen and write margin notes in the book. Would it be a good idea to take notes while you are reading? After every chapter? or After you finish the book and to go back and review?

How do YOU take notes? I definitely need some tips on note-taking.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

Good question. Try voice recording on your phone. I prefer writing-- there is something about it... I have to sleep with a notebook by my bed anyways. My brain is always having ideas while sleeping.

I have 2 books that i read daily. The first book is the one that lays besides my bed. I read it Every morning and evening. When i think it's profound, i put it on my "deep reading" list. The second book is, of course, something from the list. Here i reread the book deeply, take notes, highlight, think about it deeply and so on. This deep reading happens at my desk, not in bed.

Edited by Yonkon

I like to write the big points and interesting facts I get on a book on my phone. I use my commonplace book on my phone so I can easily find what I personally found to be the most interesting points in a book in a few seconds. It's really convenient. If I put too much effort into note taking/underlining while reading it ruins the experience for me and I tend to procrastinate reading as opposed to when it's a fun activity that lets me learn stuff as a bonus. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

I take notes per chapter.

I read one chapter enterely without write anything, if is necessary put some little coloured flags on important points.

After finish the chapter then take notes. Usually ten important points.

This process take me around 1 to 1.30 hrs. And it has been worked for me pretty well :D

Check out How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers – it's the best contemporary resource you will find on this topic. 

Also, check out Tiago Forte. He is really awesome guy talking about productivity and other topics. He summarized the book here recently: How To Take Smart Notes: 10 Principles to Revolutionize Your Note-Taking and Writing

I underline and write in the books, then when I am done I type up my notes in my laptop. This works good for me, I want to experiment with the after-each-chapter approach too though.

"Yes is the answer... And you know that! Fasho!

Yes is surrender! You gotta let it... you gotta let it GO!" - John Lennon, Mind Games