arlin

My head can't stop singing!

14 posts in this topic

My head is constantly rinnunig music inside. It bothers me, even when i meditate... i don't know how to exactly deal with that.

What techniques do you raccomand to silence the mind?

Those days im doing labeling like shinzen talks about it. Today i did 2 sessions of 40 minutes and my mind still sings. LOL.

I often find myself lost in thoughts and in music, how much time do i have to spend meditating to see improvements?

Edited by arlin
Added info

I have had the same song stuck in the background of my mind non-stop for 5 days now, I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the tunes xD 

The way I look at it my mind is just expressing its love for the song

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

Just now, OctagonOctopus said:

I have had the same song stuck in the background of my mind non-stop for 5 days now, I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the tunes xD 

The way I look at it my mind is just expressing its love for the song

Doesn't it bother you? How can you make it go away?

@arlin

No, I think its awesome, like a theme song to my life. It will eventually go away on its own anyways. Just be aware of it, accept it, and allow it to be. Do anything other then sit around thinking about "How can I get rid of this?" 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@arlin

Have tried stop listening music for a while?

+ learn to Stay indifferent with your thoughts, you cannot fight a cloud, you'll just create more of them

& I remember an older thread on "earworms" (music stuck in ur head), look that up, u'll maybe find something useful

You don't want to silence the mind, that brings death. 

Just switch and train your attention into the sounds and feeelings of the Breath, but don't control the breath, witness it.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

19 minutes ago, Hellspeed said:

You don't want to silence the mind, that brings death. 

Just switch and train your attention into the sounds and feeelings of the Breath, but don't control the breath, witness it.

That's a bit dramatic. Death?

Agree about the bit underneath with witnessing. I find it powerful to do this.

With silencing the mind I find that the more silent my mind is, the more serenity I have. Moves me away from Monkey mind.

10 minutes ago, Bill W said:

With silencing the mind I find that the more silent my mind is, the more serenity I have. Moves me away from Monkey mind.

How do you do that? simply focusing on breath?

49 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Is a matter of conscious attention, if we misplace that attention will be trap in the circle of non-stop thoughts. 

Is like observing every detail on a monitor screen, instead of listening ditectly to the CPU. This is an exp.

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@arlin You’re giving a gift to yourself. Keep your focus on breathing from your stomach.  When you notice the ‘song in your head’, return your attention to your stomach breathing. The Gift, is the realization of the power of your focus. It’s creating your life. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

45 minutes ago, arlin said:

How do you do that? simply focusing on breath?

I focus on the breath sometimes at night when I'm in bed. It can help me drift off. But mainly with my meditation practice I either focus on snippets of books I like. Sacred text kind of stuff. It's like contemplation i think.

However one of the things that has best helped me quiet my mind is mindfulness meditation. To do this and stay in the present moment I focus more on noise than my breath. The issue with this is that the breath is always there and noise or sound is not guaranteed. So I will intensely focus on any available sound to keep grounded and connected in the moment. This could be traffic, the sounds of weights clunking in the gym, a conversation people are having on the bus (I don't actually listen to their words I focus on the sounds). This has all helped me have a little more control on monkey mind. I find that even when I am not meditating that monkey mind is better. I don't meditate as much as I should. About 10 to 15 mins per day. 

I’m a musician and I get this all the time. Especially if I’m working on the same piece of music for a while. I’ve found that the music ramps up when I’m stressed or avoiding the physical world in any way. Ask yourself what you are avoiding in the present moment and see if you can fully accept what you are resisting.

Or more simply, become aware of the music and and consciously release it. It will come back, but don’t get discouraged when this happens. Just keep releasing and it will show up less often.

This video by Teal Swan is a great, more practical way to release thought as well. Watch when she specifically talks about auditory thoughts:

I hope all this helps!

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

@arlin You’re giving a gift to yourself. Keep your focus on breathing from your stomach.  When you notice the ‘song in your head’, return your attention to your stomach breathing. The Gift, is the realization of the power of your focus. It’s creating your life. 

Very beautiful, thank you!

2 hours ago, Bill W said:

This has all helped me have a little more control on monkey mind.

Thanks for sharing :)  

44 minutes ago, Pure Imagination said:

I’ve found that the music ramps up when I’m stressed or avoiding the physical world in any way.

Yes me too. I experience things with music that the avarage people don't. They are like intense orgasms... (Regularly lol)

My brain takes a high amount of pleasure to music.

I will watch the video, thanks for sharing ;) 

You can use certain mantras to silence the mind. It's a very effective method.

Keep repeating the same word (out loud, or in your mind), your mind will start numbing down and you will experience peace eventually.

Edited by Truth Addict