Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Codrina

Tricky issue to solve

19 posts in this topic

Hello everybody.

Really thrilled to stumble upon you (you gotta love how the Universe works).

I am a 31 year old woman. I don't think I act like one.

I work as a bartender in England,  was born in Transylvania, left my home country 4 years ago, lived in Spain and Portugal, like to think as myself as an artist( ahomemadeofdreams.wordpress.com -you can see my work there although I have abandoned that website).

I loved creating ever since I can remember. I always drew, but I also did professional sports. I have championships won in karate and skydiving. I loved dancing, still do. I love climbing mountains, taking photos, reading philosophy, painting, gardening, meditating, I even love bar-tending, most of the time. Growing up I was good at everything (even in school, olympic in math, languages, honours degree)

I still like to think of myself as an artist and I have a plan to make it happen (hopefully this time it will work - if I can't be an artist in England, then where?) but I still have to be a bartender for a couple more months. I am struggling with my sugar addiction. I have been a pescatarian for the last 8 years, but always loved chocolate.  No weight issues, but pretty sure some internal ones. 

My working days (5 a week) go like this: wake up 8:30, meditation, 9:30 cold shower, tea, 10:30 walk the dog, 11:15 bus to work, breakfast on the bus (avocado with either green veggies or salad, boiled egg, maybe smoked salmon), 12:00 start work, 16:30 lunch at work( usually salad and hummus) and then work some more. I will finish work at 22:00, 23:00 or 00:00. I work in a big, fancy restaurant and pub. My job is almost a sport, and I am actually bored on quiet days when there is no running around to do.

I scooter home for 45 minutes, walk my dog, then do it all over again. On most of my days off I will write boards for the company pubs - I am an artist,so I write beautiful boards (I get extra money for that, though I feel like it's not worth it).

In my time at work I will snack on nuts (raw,unsalted,mixed nuts), will have cream coffees and if I feel like I've given too much that day I will go for biscotties, which are basically white flour,sugar and cocoa. 

I am aware of all rational, I have been doing this job for a year and a half now. I was off all sugar,even alcohol for about 8 months, then February came and something  snapped.

I would like to hear any suggestions to get me going through another couple of months.

I am aware that I have to deal with my zero social life, as I have no friends (not because I could not make any, just because there are none around sharing my interests)

5 hours ago, Codrina said:

I would like to hear any suggestions to get me going through another couple of months.

@Codrina Sorry, but I can't seem to see what is your problem. Can you please state it clearly?
Is it about the fact that you snapped in February? Or is it about the fact that you feel lonely?

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@Codrina

Maybe join the Muslim fasting during Ramadan.

It's a challenge, with yourself, against yourself, and for yourself.

Thank you. I could give it a try, although it's a challenge doing what I do already. 

Just gave a read on Wikipedia on Ramadan. Not sure how that would work.

Running around the bar for 10 hours, not even drinking water.... then waking up at 4 in the morning for suhur,when I finish work at 00:00 and get home at 1:00 ... Maybe not. I do eat within a 8 hour window most of the days but always drink water. Lots of water and 3 coffees a day

Edited by Codrina

Maybe I should move this in the health/nutrition department, although I am pretty sure it has more to do with my frustration of still having to do this job, more than a health/ nutrition issue

@Codrina

Fasting is meant to fix discipline issues if you have some. I don't know, you know.

From what you wrote about your lifestyle, it appears that it requires a lot of sugar, so why beating yourself up for that?

Sugar isn't bad, sugar is energy.

You clearly don't have weight issues, nor energy issues, I don't see where you are going wrong.

Your body knows what it needs, trust it.

Edited by Truth Addict

I see what you're saying. I do have structural  hereditary issues, like bad teeth which I keep fixing ever since I was a kid and bad blood flow, which I think is getting worse, as I get dry skin on my arms, legs and face. My hands get cracked, but I suspect the chemicals I work with have a contribution as well. So, pretty sure the processed sugar doesn't help, although I need the energy it offers.

Just now, Nahm said:

@Codrina Eat fruit.

Lots of it? I am trying a keto pescatarian for the last 3 weeks. I guess I could try no cheese and loads of fruit instead, it would not be keto anymore, though

re: your sugar addiction

There is a product called glycerine/glycerol (food grade) which is a sweet, colour-less liquid that you can use to sweeten food or drink, it bypasses the pancreas and doesn't spike your insulin, but it helps to regulate your sugar cravings. I use it to sweeten coffee. It's all natural and I believe it is used to make the casing on cod liver oil tablets.

Assuming you aren't diabetic the key to your blood sugar and glucose levels is eating small and often, every 2-3 hours. Proteins and complex carbs.

There seems to be some good stuff in your diet but unless I read your post incorrectly you are going too long between meals.

@studentofthegame Thank you for the insight. I am going long between meals, I only get one half an hour brake for food. The rest of the time I'm on the bar. I will try to make a fruit salad and bring it to work. See how that goes. 

6 hours ago, Codrina said:

How to keep away from sugar

I haven't used raw refined sugar for 2 years. A good replacement is raisins and sultans especially used in porridge or as a snack beside fruits. Also dark chocolate may help. 

Now don't try to go overboard and get rid of all sugar from all products or you'll go nuts. I tried and doesn't work. I still have a pack of biscuits or peanut butter, but cutting the raw refined sugar is a big step anyway.  Good luck! 

12 hours ago, Codrina said:

was born in Transylvania

And I thought I'm the only one ashamed by being Romanian here :)) 

the teeth stuff/skin stuff is merely you not absorbing vitamins and minerals from your diet, particularly fat soluble vitamins A,D&K

This is 100% due to insufficient stomach acidity to set off the the chain reaction of digestion i.e not enough bile and pancreatic enzyme release.

Just start taking a high quality betaine hcl/bile salt enzyme supplement problem solved lickity split.

root cause of low stomach acid can be from not enough parasympathetic vagal tone, you cant turn off your fight or flight response on a subtle level. The supplement can reaccustom your body to higher levels of acidity and can get you back to normal ive found, so you may not need to take it forever.

I use this one and it has worked wonders

https://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Bio-Gest-Digestive-Digestion/dp/B079795YYQ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=thorne+bile+salts&qid=1557244436&s=hpc&sr=1-3-fkmrnull

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

@montecristo wow. Never heard that one before. And I have watched a lot of lectures on nutrition and health issues. I will give it a try. Thank you very much. As for the not being able to turn off my fight or flight response on a subtle level, is that a consequence of childhood trauma? My parents had a tough life and did their best, but I am aware I got scars. Didn't think they could manifest like this 

@Alex bAlex Not ashamed of being Romanian, I think Romania is a good place to be born, but Transylvania keeps a special place in my heart, being raised in Maramureș. As for the sugar, I gave up processed sugar almost 2 years ago. Is the biscotti I have on the bar keep staring at me and if I feel low energy/hungry I will reach for them. I sometimes eat raisins, dates with creamed coconut,organic cocoa nibs, shredded coconut and seeds as a sweet treat. I tryed making my own energy bars at some point to take on the bar, but have been too busy lately with spring coming, more work, more boards to write and planting season in the garden. I will try and make time for better 'dinner', let's say ? Thank you and take care, Romanian friend

What do you think the sugar is replacing in your life? Get to the bottom of that and you get to the root cause my friend. Sounds like you are a talented artist in the wrong job. Follow your dreams, answer your inner voice and addictions tend to fall away I've found. It's a struggle but there's beauty in breaking free. 

Yes, I know that. Sugar came back into my life after a plan I had failed. So I had to stick with this job for longer then I had envisioned. I still have to do it for, hopefully, just 2 more months. I need a budget to pay my rent and my food while I stay and paint and create; I do enjoy the job most of the time, that is because I love people and being active, but I have a stack of things I need to show the world and it is getting tougher not to bring them into being. I guess there are still some things I need to learn before being ready to present them. :) 

As for what it is replacing, I think that is a good question to meditate on. I know I use it as a reward for pushing through a situation I am not happy with. Which is not a good idea, since it does no good, but damage. It is definitely not a reward

Maybe then think about what else you can use as a reward instead that's more appropriate. If you're meditating you're already on the right path, just keep going, good luck.