Jkris

How to stop the thoughts and be still

46 posts in this topic

@Truth Addict Idea is to stop the thoughts and be still during meditation to enter the void and having lesser no of thoughts other times. 

I don't hear music. 

I dont watch tv. I don't interact much with friends. 

I don't read newspapers. 

Except for spiritual articles and searching important info I dont use internet. 

I don't read books. 

Watching the thoughts doesn't seem to take me to the no thoughts state and hence the question. 

@tecladocasio Most of the Thoughts are useless distractions. Most of the times it has no purpose at all is my current understanding. 

8 hours ago, lmfao said:

@Jkris If you force yourself to do strong determination sitting or force yourself to meditate for a long period of time, there'll be pain arising. If you can sit through the pain and surrender to it you'll train your mind to surrender.

You might look at my answer and roll your eyes but it's the truth. 

Surrender means accepting the emotions feelings thoughts as it is with out resistance? Is my understanding right? 

@Salvijus  Read that Enlightened masters sadhguru osho Nisargadatta Maharaj etc say they use the mind only when required else they are in the no mind aka no thought state. So there must be a way to do that isn't it? 

@tecladocasio Mind is creating the thoughts. There are two kinds of thoughts voluntary and involuntary. Voluntary thoughts or thinking occurs when we try to do something planning action etc. 

We don't have any control over the involuntary thoughts. Its random with out any connection and purpose. 

12 minutes ago, Jkris said:

We don't have any control over the involuntary thoughts.

@Jkris So why are you worrying about them if you already know you don't control it ? You are already saying there is nothing to do .

@tecladocasio No thought no mind state need to happen before realizing nothingness.or in other words no mind state is the gateway starting point of spirituality.So I am still struggling to begin spirituality :)) correct me if this understanding is wrong.

May be this is the reason people are trying physchadelics I guess.Though I haven't tried physchadelics yet.

Edited by Jkris
Added more

@Jkrishave you done any yoga or focusing on the breath meditation? This is what I would recommend to silence your mind as it naturally gets you out of the headspace

however thoughts aren’t the issue as you know unless you think they are :D

why not go into exploring the nature of thought?  And have you explored sense perception? What exactly is reality? They all give you a deeper understanding of language and thought ime 

@DrewNows I am trying to witness the thoughts.I will do breath watching as well.Thank you.

Thoughts are distractions.Idea is to enter the no mind state as it is the gateway to the rest all awakening realisation.

What is exploring nature of thought and sense perception ? Can you pls explain a bit more.

12 hours ago, Jkris said:

The thoughts keeps on comming and not stopping at all. It is highly irritating some times. 

So what's the best technique to stop the thoughts or still the mind. 

maybe stop trying to stop the thoughts and still your mind.  This can be like alan watts says "Try flattening out a ripple in water with your hand, you'll only create more".

@Mu_ So how to enter nothingness with out reaching the no thought state ?

22 minutes ago, Jkris said:

@DrewNows I am trying to witness the thoughts.I will do breath watching as well.Thank you.

Thoughts are distractions.Idea is to enter the no mind state as it is the gateway to the rest all awakening realisation.

What is exploring nature of thought and sense perception ? Can you pls explain a bit more.

Lots of good advice on here already I just looked. Ultimately you gotta do the work. Leo has videos on perception and nature of thought you could check out. Just know thoughts aren’t distractions they are there for a purpose until you understand why, they won’t be surrendered until you’re able to get to the root of why they arise. Often it’s fear in disguise 

Here’s my go to for understanding “thought-self” 

I considered mindfulness is the state wherein your mind and body is focused on the present situation and overcome the stress in life with an open mind and calmness into our mind that helps us to make good decisions in every situation. Mindfulness is the greatest key in finding peace, relaxation and to focus on what is within our control. Listening to soft music might also be helpful in relaxation. 

@Jkris

9 hours ago, Jkris said:

Surrender means accepting the emotions feelings thoughts as it is with out resistance? Is my understanding right? 

Yeah you seem to get what to do. I'd say that if you're looking for someone who can best point towards non-duality with words, I'd reccomend alan watts. He has many good videos on YouTube. I can link a few if you want. 

Terms like "surrender", "awareness", "resistance" can be very important to use when talking about mindfullness/non-duality yet these terms cannot be adequately defined. I've found myself wondering what is "awareness" and what is "attention". 

I can't tell what exactly suffering and low consciousness is. If you're in a higher consciousness state, it's as though you have an effortless attention (which is almost a paradox) for all the contents of your consciousness. But in low consciousness state, there's some sort of constriction of your attention/awareness or at the very least the feeling that there's some sort of constriction on your experience. And then there's obviously thoughts which are central to everything. 

The problem I have is this. By very virtue of the fact that I have a low level of consciousness at the times I have a low level of consciousness,  it's very hard to "figure out" how low consciousness functions. 

Figuring out the relation betweenï thought, awareness, attention is confusing and what's all the more confusing is that once you're in a high consciousness state none of this talking matters at all and there are no problems. 

One good way to think about reducing your suffering, is that you realise that the thoughts which are in your head are of the exact same origin of all things external to you. The origin of everything you do and the origin of everything that happens external to you are the same.

If you realise that the external and internal and one, the feeling that life is a drag and effort will dissappear. Reality in its essence is just an uncaused, spontaneous hapenning which literally "comes from" nothing. The present moment is all you have and all you will ever have, and you didn't have to do anything to create this moment.

One experiment which might work for you. Listen to your thoughts just as if they were noise in the external world. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao Please share the Alan watts video links. Thank you. ???