Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SQAAD

Why would Leo Buy his new white t-shirt from a sweatshop?

35 posts in this topic

I hate corruption, hoarding, and dishonest shit as well. But stop comparing it to slavery.

They were surviving before western industrialization put it's foot there and they can make political changes.

I was just giving a hypothetical example. Don't take it so seriously. I have no idea where my shirt was made.

Maybe it was made in heaven, by God himself?

And maybe that looks no different than a Bangladesh sweatshop ;)

Maybe

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, Preetom said:

@AlwaysBeNice

A fella from Bangladesh here.

Do some research and you'll find that Bangladesh was one of the top 5 countries which created the maximum opportunity for the rich to become richer last year. At what cost? The cost is that the poor are getting poorer.

You'll find few countries in the world with this much income inequality. Even the rich people in 1st world countries don't have that much leeway to get richer.

Every sector from banks, industries and business is being more and more monopolized by the day. So the consequence of that is over 95% jobs are skewing towards wage slavery. This is becoming the only way to earn and live in a capitalistic society. 

The exploitation has been so easy on top of that due to the fact that almost all people of Bangladesh are in low stage blue. They don't even realize what precarious situation they are in. Working 15 hours a day at sweatshops has become the norm here. No one even bats an eye.

Yes, but don't forget that this was the case in all currently first world countries when they went through the industrial revolution. Child-slavery, robber-baron capitalism etc. are all part of the evolution of a civilization. Third world countries are lagging behind and sadly have to go through the same insights, revolutions and changes that the western countries did. Due geopolitical circumstances these changes will look very different from country to country, western governments will not be capable of effectively help these countries until they reach second tier.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

well there should be plenty of opportunities to create fair trade clothing - but the problem are indeed the clothes dumping companies and i confess there is still a fashion problem with fair clothes as they often also look „fair“ what has a hippie image and is nothing for oranges - and as much as i don’t like labels i don’t want to be submissive to a style i don’t like - that’s my fashion ego. i will not leave that behind or transcend it, i love that too much. but if there is good fair fashion i‘m the first to buy. there has been some greenwashing by bigger companies during recent years but sometimes only for a short while. so i think fair or green fashion is still a fashion responsibility and a challenge i hope a lot of fashion designers will take on in the future. it’s also good to get more aware of the companies who already do fair fashion. it’s still a broad enough niche. 

actually i‘ll use this to check out the fair fashion stores in my city.

i‘m sure leo could find a nice black fair/organic shirt if he wanted... let’s face the whitewashing. actuality is quite transparent.

whitewashing won’t change if we don’t change.

Edited by now is forever

@Leo Gura WTF. How do you not know where your shirt was made? Don't you see it every time you look at the label? At least you know what kind of brand produced it (e.g. H&M).

To be honest I don't see a reason to not buy from transparent brands who are claiming to source things ethically. I personally have started only buying jeans from Nudie jeans, and other clothes at thrift shops or Gudrun Sjödén. That is because I kinda feel guilty when I buy stuff from places where the workers very likely aren't paid a living wage. And I don't see why you, the person reading this, shouldn't do the same?

Edited by Lise

Give the guy a break. Hes been wearing one black t shirt for 4 years.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

8 hours ago, Rilles said:

didn’t you know, there is beauty in timelessness and neutrality.

Edited by now is forever

Leo has done nothing wrong. The sweatshop workers don't exist so they can not be harmed.

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

Leo has done nothing wrong. The sweatshop workers don't exist so they can not be harmed.

would they exist if the sweatshop was in his cupboard?

21 hours ago, now is forever said:

whitewashing won’t change if we don’t change.

Amen.

20 hours ago, Rilles said:

lol xD

45 minutes ago, now is forever said:

would they exist if the sweatshop was in his cupboard?

They would not even exist if they stabbed Leo in the face according to most people on here.

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

Just now, Shaun said:

They would not even exist if they stabbed Leo in the face according to most people on here.

who is most people? do you have someone in your cupboard?

1 minute ago, now is forever said:

who is most people? do you have someone in your cupboard?

You're in my cupboard.

Just now, Shaun said:

You're in my cupboard.

no, that’s all an illusion.... it’s quite dark in here.