How to be wise

Memory is not thoughts of the past

25 posts in this topic

I remembered something that Byron Katie said. She said that, in her experience, memory is not thoughts of the past, they are beliefs about the past. They’re not true! The implications! Nothing that happened to you in the past is remotely true. Think of the implications that has on emotional mastery. All of the terrible things that happened to you in life are not true. You just believe they’re true. And you can unbelieve them if you want. Think about this: if you’re memory is causing you suffering, why do you choose to believe it. Why not just not believe it. Then you’ll have peace.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 hours ago, How to be wise said:

I remembered something that Byron Katie said. She said that, in her experience, memory is not thoughts of the past, they are beliefs about the past. They’re not true!

Mhm. ?The only Real is the present moment, the Now. The Now is God eternally, always been the case and will always be the case. But the power of Maya (illusion) hides this fact and turns the Now into the experience of a separate ego. It turns the unreal into the real, like the enlightened Meher baba and the great Upanishads explained.

17 minutes ago, Highest said:

Mhm. ?The only Real is the present moment, the Now. The Now is God eternally, always been the case and will always be the case. But the power of Maya (illusion) hides this fact and turns the Now into the experience of a separate ego. It turns the unreal into the real, like the enlightened Meher baba and the great Upanishads explained.

The text Yoga Vasistha explains the need to understand Maya as follows:

"Just as when the dirt is removed, the real substance is made manifest; just as when the darkness of the night is dispelled, the objects that were shrouded by the darkness are clearly seen, when ignorance [Maya] is dispelled, truth is realized. "

The truth which is realized is that you and Brahman (God) are one and the same and that there is ultimately only Brahman.

8 minutes ago, tedens said:

@Highest How would you define notion of 'going full circle' ?

To what particularly?

@How to be wise Love this thread. 

This has literally come to my awareness over the last few days. 

Memories of trauma upcoming and I noticed, "Why believe them Charlotte? They're now a figment of imagination... Nothing more."

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

Why ‘not believe it’, even....no more duality.

Well, for happiness. It makes me happy when I stop believing painful beliefs.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

6 minutes ago, Highest said:

To what particularly?

17 minutes ago, tedens said:

@Highest How would you define notion of 'going full circle' ?

I can't define it really bro. You just do it through Self-inqury and awareness work. I can give you one example where I went full circle. First I became conscious that I am That which is the absence of the ego. Then after about a year I became conscious that That is actually God and everything.

This made realize and become conscious that the ego could not be separated from God but is in fact God because God includes literally everything.

12 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Well, for happiness. It makes me happy when I stop believing painful beliefs.

Absolutely yes 100%....also...do you actually have to “stop” believing anything?

Like, stop thinking of a pink elephant.

Thoughts become beliefs,  stopping believing is a thought, which can become a belief.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

20 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

@How to be wise Love this thread. 

This has literally come to my awareness over the last few days. 

Memories of trauma upcoming and I noticed, "Why believe them Charlotte? They're now a figment of imagination... Nothing more."

♥️

...so is “Charlotte”

...so is “my” awareness

...so is “awareness”

...so is “?”

and yet, at the same time, memory is all over reality. every instant is filled with the eternal past.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

27 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Absolutely yes 100%....also...do you actually have to “stop” believing anything?

Like, stop thinking of a pink elephant.

Thoughts become beliefs,  stopping believing is a thought, which can become a belief.

There’s a difference between ‘thinking’ and believing. Yes, the thoughts will continue. But suffering comes from holding those thoughts as ‘real’, to which you can reverse. You can experience thoughts with the full awareness that they are not ‘real’. And in there is peace.

25 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

and yet, at the same time, memory i all over reality. every instant is filled with the eternal past.

That’s how much unawareness we have.

11 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

There’s a difference between ‘thinking’ and believing.

What’s the difference?

@Nahm Thinking is when thoughts come to you. You experience the thoughts. Believing is when you regard the thought as ‘true’. 

For example, a thought comes that your friend is in trouble. If you don’t believe the thought, but simply experience it as a thought, there is no suffering. When you believe the thought is true, that is when suffering begins. 

In spiritual work, our goal is to unbelieve all of reality. We will still experience it, but we will be aware that it is not true. There can be no suffering in this state of mind.

41 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@How to be wise Sure...but...how do you know that ‘thoughts come to you’ is not your experience, because you believe that? 

Word games. 

@How to be wise Ever had the experience where you totally knew something, knew about it, knew what it was & how it worked...and then later in life, a complete flip,  a total revelation?