How to be wise

What skills are in high demand

10 posts in this topic

I have often heard that computing skills are the most high in demand. But what part of computing? I did a google search, and so many different types of computing skills came up. Does anyone know exactly what skills are the most likely to get me a job? I’m not relying too much on my degree.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I have no clue on which programming languages are in demand, but here are a few other skills you can use to get a job: 

Copywriting 
Google AdWords 
Graphic Design 
Marketing (SEO, SEM, SMM) 
Photography 
Programming (Someone else will break this down for you)
Project Management 
Proofreading & Editing 
Online Teaching/Tutoring 
Transcription 
Translation 
Virtual Assistant 
Web Development 
Writing

Research what big companies are in your area, what they do, what they need, go to local dev meetups. I bet web development with javascript or software tester is on demand almost everywhere. Do not go to programming if you don't like it (only if you really really need money). Good luck.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Social. It provides a direct potential benefit to the person hiring. Talk about golf or some shit. Have a cousin that works in banking and software design, in London. Something I remember him mentioning.

Web developing stuff and engineering if you're into that (for instance CAD, there are a lot of great tutorials on youtube, you can easily start there)

16 minutes ago, Theta said:

There are many resources on what programming languages are in demand, like here. Python is always a good choice btw.

But the bigger skill behind being able to write functioning code is not just knowing the programming languages and frameworks that you are using. Being good at programming is solving problems in a smart way.

If you are interested in building good programming skills you could learn more about the "theoretical" stuff, like data structures and algorithms. An example could be dynamic programming.

But you won't necessarily need that to just get a 'programming job.'

Yeah, data structures and algorithms are always good. Or just start with Haskell, category theory, Coq, type theory, haha :ph34r:

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

If your looking for a trade HVAC technicians, welders, and truck drivers are in high demand.

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

@zenjen Thanks, but I prefer a comfortable office job.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

According to Eben Pagan life coaching is highly future oriented skill and large opportunity 

Digital Marketing is also fucking big. It's so cutting edge right now, high in demand and will be higher in the future. 

Talk about as if you can do everything in this life, act as if you can do everything you want in this life. This is the skillset you need in every situation.