BIggleswerth

Clarification of non-duality

10 posts in this topic

While meditating I saw that I could let go of bodily sensations the same way that I let go of thoughts, and then I slowly drifted into nothingness. When I saw this I immediately thought of nonduality, because if the outside forms (sight, sound, touch) and inside forms (thought, etc) are the same then it makes sense that I can let go of them in almost in the same way.

In nothingness, I looked around for my true self. But there was nothing. I knew better than to create some idea of what the self was. I stayed in nothingness for a little while and at the same time was curious where the ultimate knowledge of my nature was.

In hindsight I can do some critical thinking and say, okay the nothingness IS me, or I am what underlies the nothingness.

Here is where I am confused: If it's true that I am nothingness, then it must also be true that when I am focused on a thought or object or feeling, then I am the object. However, I know identifying with thoughts is wrong, so this is contradictory.

On the other hand, if I say that I am what underlies nothingness, then I also must say that I am what underlies my thoughts and feelings. However, here you notice there is a duality between thoughts and what underlies them (presumably the true self/ consciousness, awareness, whatever). Is this duality acceptable? I still see in this case the nonduality between sight/touch/thoughts/inner voice etc.

Edited by BIggleswerth

@BIggleswerth The sense of me or i feeling Is present or absent in nothingness?

Nothingness means complete absence of subjective identity. Not just thoughts, feelings.

Is it that nothingness you are taking about? 

As the above poster made mention, you said you think you saw nothingness and then rationalized that this may be your true self.   However what is aware of this ‘you’ that saw all this other stuff. 

That my friend is worth looking into. If you can see what you call yourself inside your head body or awareness your not there yet. 

Duality is a derivative of oneness. So You can't to clarify 'it' untill somehow 'it' reveal to You.

Edited by tedens

4 hours ago, BIggleswerth said:

If it's true that I am nothingness

your idea of nothingness, falls short of absolute nothingness, we don't mean empty of anything more like there was nothing there in the first place, but there appears to be something. 

then it must also be true that when I am focused on a thought or object or feeling, then I am the object.

you are the object, but also the space in between the object don't forget about this, you are connected to eachother entirely and in that sense you are the object. it is only your perception that the object is a distance away from you through subject/object orientation created by thought. 

Is this duality acceptable?

this duality is not acceptable, because the true self/ awareness etc . does not have a duality for you to create a duality out of it. it is something that is present all the time 

with thoughts the duality of thoughts vs no thoughts can be made 

i am thinking/ i am not thinking.

Here is where I am confused: If it's true that I am nothingness, then it must also be true that when I am focused on a thought or object or feeling, then I am the object. However, I know identifying with thoughts is wrong, so this is contradictory.

“Form is emptiness; emptiness is form. Form is not different than emptiness; emptiness is not different than form.”

Prajna Paramita Hrdaya

Just «feel» life like a dream.

It all make sense if you just stop rationalizing it and just see it as a giant mind.

Everything than you can experience in a dream is not the dreamer, and at the same time it's all of it too.

You don't see this as weird when you dream, now just realize you're still dreaming right now.

BOOOOOOM ?

Ps: One of the trap is to see this as something mystical, rare or only achievable by saints/highly intelligent people,

Lol no, it's just natural, effortless, EASY !

You can only not see it if you make an effort to not see it ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them