Truth Addict

Fake enlightenments

13 posts in this topic

Although I'm okay with it, since it shows me how I could possibly delude myself. But here goes:
I notice every now and then on this forum the tendency of people to claim enlightenment, my best guess is that that's because of the promise of samadhi and nirvana i.e. it's too good to be true.
That being said, don't you think that we should focus our attention on the hard grinding work of dissolving our egos instead of daydreaming?
Part of this problem might be stemming from certain teachings that emphasise the final result on the expense of the work required to get there.
Again, I don't have any problem with that or with anyone per se.
Just wanted point out that wanting to get results without working towards them just ain't gonna yield, yet adds another layer of deception on top of others, thus making it even harder to get there.
(P.S. myself not excluded).

Be well my friends.

Edited by Truth Addict

Common trap of the mind.

If you think you're already there, that protects you to transcend.

It's unconscious, and there always be new seekers, so that's never gonna stop.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

This is a good topic. I believe it's our mind normal conditioning which focuses on the result, in reaching this ultimate state. Something good to be aware of...

if you are thinking you are finally enlightened, what doe this thought even mean

Edited by DrewNows

Working hard towards an idea of enlightenment “some day” is also a trap

Also, fake enlightenment happened to me. Then the shit hit the fan so to speak 

@Shin @DrewNows exactly!

@Sashaj of course, enlightenment (concept) is an illusion, just like the illusion (ego) that created it. All of which need to be removed in order to see the Truth.

Ye. Remember we are already enlightened, so chasing anything is a waste of time. You would realize it when it's the right time.

@Truth Addict When fake enlightenment happens there is a sort of arrogance there. I did it. It's done. I had an enlightenment experience and now I am a true master. And it always feels complete, like it can't go any further than this, but it always goes deeper. It always gets more profound. When that is realized there is a certain humbleness there.

Be careful not to put enlightenment as a goal in the future though. It will never happen in the future. It always happens right now. So when you sit down and meditate don't do it because you one day will get enlightenment. Then it will be a half assed meditation. Do it as a means to wake up right here right now. As this is it. Right here right now I can see the truth.

6 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

dissolving our egos

Take 30mg of 5-MeO-DMT, you will see what dissolving your ego really means and why anybody who you think has real enlightenment would not be able to teach, function, be a guru or whatever they're doing, without an ego. Enlightenment is disidentification from your ego not dissolving it.

7 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Part of this problem might be stemming from certain teachings that emphasise the final result on the expense of the work required to get there.

The amount of work required will vary tremendously from person to person. It rather depends on how lucky one get with the right technique that works for him.

Just wanted point out that wanting to get results without working towards them just ain't gonna yield,

100% agree

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

I think everybody on the Path can cite some examples of fake Enlightenment that they themselves have fallen prey to.  

I think for me, always assuming I'm wrong until I experience undeniable spiritual truth does the trick

@Enlightenment I don't want to disagree with you, but I think that the ultimate goal is dissolution.

Disidentification, in my opinion, is temporary and whole. While dissolution is permanent and, probably but not necessarily, whole.