clouffy

Should I accept my "depression" and weight gain?

8 posts in this topic

Can someone actually accept that they are in a depression and don't actually eat well?

Man, I used to be fit and attractive and healthy and enjoyed eating healthy. Now I binge eat and occasionally have something healthy. But I just can't wrap my head around this "acceptance" thing...the more I think i "should" accept myself, the more I question what parts should I accept...

watching Leo's video on depression motivated me, but it seems to create more "resistance" towards my "self-inflicted" depression, and I seem to hate myself more and drop deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole...jeez 

Well eating healthy, exercising etc are habits. Regardless of depression you can build in this habits, you have a habit for not eating well but you still have to order food, you could cultivate a habit to cook for the week or buy shopping to be delivered. 

So rather than looking at it like im fat and depressed should i just accept it, what you should do is think what habit can i start today that will slightly improve my situation. Might be going for a walk 10 mins a day, might be cooking 3 times a week, whatever it is just take control of your habits and let the depression be 

Guilting youself sure won’t help. Beating yourself up only adds to the problem...

Have you watched the self-acceptance video?

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

this is not accepting yourself. study brain and ask questions such as why some foods taste better i.e fast foods and chips. why health foods taste shit. this is not a question to be ashamed to ask for. we cannot deny these facts.. start making research and hack your brain. this is surrendering yourself for worse. if you have such option why no surrender for better?

@clouffy accept it and then investigate the root cause of your feelings. get closer and closer to your suffering. pain is most likely necessary before liberation.

unborn Truth

What if depression is not a bad thing? Maybe this is an opportunity to face something that has gone under the radar-- you obviously realize something is off.

Over eating and binge eating are very common numbing behaviors many people use to avoid pain.

Get curious about yourself and your depression and what's really going on inside.

Acceptance can be powerful-- we cannot do anything to really help ourselves without first accepting where we are. 

Exchange judgement for curiosity.

Hope this helps.

@clouffy

The fact that you asked us here, suggests that you probably are gonna do well. So don't worry, you're in capable hands.

I'd say, roll with the skid. Give yourself a break, have some time with full absolute acceptance of whatever you do or think or feel, without judging or criticising.

Express everything inside of you until you become completely empty, that's where you find yourself.

So if you feel like screaming, do it. If you feel hungry, eat. If you feel lonely, go out with friends. If you love someone, tell them or say it to strangers (online is a good place for that).

That'll release all of the stress that you've been accumulating over the years. And you'll become very relaxed and peaceful. Only then will you find exactly what you need.

The point of depression is directing you to find your authentic self, which you've been running away from all the time.

It worked for me, and it was very counter-intuitive.

Good luck.

Accepting doesn't mean accepting where we are right now. I believe accepting means accepting the best version possible.

Depression can be a signal that there is a deep problem you need to resolve, and as long as that problem remains unresolved, you will feel depressed. Like others say, binge eating is only a symptom, and if you treat it, it may come back later down the road.

Perhaps the correct term isn't accepting, but acknowledging. We need to acknowledge where we are before we can move forward. Maybe you can acknowledge that you are here in your current phase in life and you can take footsteps to go to where you think is a better place.

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com