Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex bAlex

Opinion :-> Judging

13 posts in this topic

When does having an opinion about someone or something slips into judging?

How do you know where's the threshold? 

Edited by Alex bAlex

@Alex bAlex Contemplate: What is judgment?

Locate judgment and observe it in your direct experience.

You guys need to start locating all of terminology in your direct experience.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Judgment and opinion come down to the same thing.

When people tell you not to judge it's a phrase loaded with meaning. it's basically saying your judgment has incomplete information due to not knowing someone in entirety. It's also asking to not project how you think on others as everyone has built their own perspective on the world.

It's loaded with meaning to try and shun away negativity.

Well if we go by definition then

Judging would be pointing out some traits that you think he has that are negative I guess.

You can have opinion about person without having judgement about your projection about him. 

As well as you can have opinion about something he did without judging him, just having opinion about there being better way to handle things. 

It is projection in both ways anyway, you can interpret allot of things as judgement, or both sides could interpret nothing as judgement, I guess someone must manifest judgement, for it to be there.

Edited by purerogue

6 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

Judgment and opinion come down to the same thing.

When people tell you not to judge it's a phrase loaded with meaning. it's basically saying your judgment has incomplete information due to not knowing someone in entirety. It's also asking to not project how you think on others as everyone has built their own perspective on the world.

It's loaded with meaning to try and shun away negativity.

No, you are misunderstanding what judgment is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

No, you are misunderstanding what judgment is.

I looked at some other perspectives on the word judgment and what I was presented was basically an imperfect opinion assumed to be perfect formed on a strict ruleset that isn't allowed to change and often projected outward as some law.

While an opinion is some snapshot of looking at the world from a perspective that is allowed to change and carries no expectations.

Let me know if this is closer to what you were meaning. I've always perceived judgment to be equivalent to opinion and held it to the same standards so this may be why I missed the pointers.

8 hours ago, Annoynymous said:

@Leo Gura so according to you, what is judgement and what is opinion?

I would try to mentally re-create an experience in your past in which you judged someone, something, or yourself.

Or put yourself into a situation where you are likely to judge (and where you possibly KNOW that you judge). Approach this with self-honesty, equanimity, and consciously. This should help you to gain some perspective.

Judgement can be experienced. Experience can bring clarity.

Edited by Brenzo2
clarity

@Brenzo2 The problem here is the subjectivity of the word. For example I considered judgment to be as free and ever changing as judgment but according to the source I found they are different in that regard.

So locating judgment doesn't help me at all because my pointer is fundamentally different.

Well, I thought about it for a while and I find out that I cannot have an opinion without judging. For an opinion to exist you must have judgment.

Now I tend to label as Judging all the negative opinions that I have about a thing/peson/ experience and label as opinion positive/neutral thoughts. 

When I caught myself Judging I remind myself to stop do it (because comparing yourself with whom you've been and related to your old friends/people and aspects of your life,  give your ego a sense of superiority). Will this lead to a lack of opinions? @Leo Gura You said that you have to be opinionated so how can I when I? It's paradox?

@Alex bAlex Consider judgment as someone following rules and refuses to break or change them. Consider opinion as someone deciding what they want to wear that day. 

I'm pointing out the assertion of concrete vs malleable. 

@Alex bAlex

I would ask that the essence of judgement be revealed, sit still and watch. Don't over-analyze it. Just observe. What appears? What has an essence of judgement? Observe the mind dynamics and energy in the mind-body when the essence of judgement arises. Is there attachment? What does that attachment look like? Are these thoughts a recurring pattern? Where does it arise from?

Rather than intellectualizing and creating more complex concepts of judgement with intrinsic contradictions, I would take the counter-intuitive approach: put your mind under a microscope and deconstruct it through observation.