solr

Alcohol and "Spiritual lifestyle"

29 posts in this topic

For myself, I decided that drinking twice a year would be acceptable. I was much more willing to go with that than to quit altogether. I really like drinking, but it makes my mind anxious, depressed, and robs me of happiness.

Choosing consciousness over alchohol is consciousness work in & of itself; honest self awareness & analysis, commitment to change, discipline in followthrough, being an example for others who may be stuck - you should feel good about doing the work!     (And you know you won’t miss hangovers, regrets, self loathing, etc.)

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@solr  In the past, I had the same situation with alcohol. Once I started drinking, I would have no self control over when I would stop. I would do ridiculous, tragic things while under the influence. From my experience and from knowing others with the same situation, the control and compulsion gets more intense, never better. As women, we can be vulnerable when really drunk to those that would take advantage of this. Alcoholism is called the disease of denial and it is really easy for the ego to find ways to continue the loop of drinking, loss of control, shame, embarrassment. The discomfort that loop caused made me want to drink more. I was really, really attached to the initial experiences of alcohol that provided me with peace and euphoria, even after they were long gone.  I never realized how deeply all of that effected me until I got out of it.

Edited by pointessa
added a thought

I could not drink for few years - I would get a bad migraine after even a sip of alcohol (dah - probably smell would have been enough ;)) and I missed it. I like the taste and the initial effect (hangover not so much). Lately due to my meditation practice my migraines got better and from time to time I allow myself some wine, not too much because I still want to meditate before sleep and I don't think it would work very well being drunk. I discovered that I am emotionally more available, I can sense them better, I am more social, more cheerful, full of energy - I actually feel like doing staff  (not big surprises - these effects are known :)). I just feel that this is the way I would like to be without this one glass and I think it's possible if I continue working on myself by removing blockages. I only don't want to do it too often because it is not healthy and with time could maybe become a problem. So I made a deal with that part of me that we'll do it when there's some special occasion to it.

@solr Yeah, I think you came to the right realization. Alcohol is literally poison. In no way, shape, or form can it be used as a tool for a spiritual lifestyle. However, there's no reason you couldn't enjoy it on occasion. Even Socrates from the Way of the Peaceful Warrior made an exception to drink. But, obviously no more than a once-in-a-blue-moon occasion.

Edited by TheAvatarState

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

On 4.1.2019 at 3:34 PM, pointessa said:

@solr  In the past, I had the same situation with alcohol. Once I started drinking, I would have no self control over when I would stop. I would do ridiculous, tragic things while under the influence. From my experience and from knowing others with the same situation, the control and compulsion gets more intense, never better. As women, we can be vulnerable when really drunk to those that would take advantage of this. Alcoholism is called the disease of denial and it is really easy for the ego to find ways to continue the loop of drinking, loss of control, shame, embarrassment. The discomfort that loop caused made me want to drink more. I was really, really attached to the initial experiences of alcohol that provided me with peace and euphoria, even after they were long gone.  I never realized how deeply all of that effected me until I got out of it.

I relate so much to this, and I'm so happy you got out of it. <3 I'll save this part for a rainy day, 

"From my experience and from knowing others with the same situation, the control and compulsion gets more intense, never better." 

I quit alcohol 6-7 months ago, with one relapse ~4 months ago. Been an addict (not only alcohol) for ~14 years. So nowadays I don’t even hang out with people anymore. Which is good, I guess. Anyway, this change had to happen at last. It’s a necessary descision. Wish you good luck!

5 hours ago, mkrksms said:

I quit alcohol 6-7 months ago, with one relapse ~4 months ago. Been an addict (not only alcohol) for ~14 years. So nowadays I don’t even hang out with people anymore. Which is good, I guess. Anyway, this change had to happen at last. It’s a necessary descision. Wish you good luck!

Yes, it's kind of hard when people insist to always get liquered up while socializing. Thank you for the wishes & I'm very proud of you

@solr I'm glad you decided to quit! The first couple of months will probably be hard as you will most likely face some ego backlash, good luck!

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,