Roman25

A cure to suicidal tendencies

10 posts in this topic

For a while now I thought for a fact that suicide was as logical as it gets. Ends all self-suffering and you won't have to deal with problems. But suicide isn't as logical as it seems since it also negates your possibility for happiness. I personally think that you should continue living as long as a possibility for happiness exists. While you're depressed your problems seem big. But maybe in a couple months you'll completely forget about what was causing the depression in the first place.

Let's say that a suicidal thought comes up. You think "I want to kill myself". Now replace that with "I want to fix myself" or "I want to fix (or cope) with my problems".

I think you're mixing up depression with sadness.

Suicidal ideation is a very complex problem... It may need medication, support network, etc. And even so, it's not guaranteed to work. 

I had suicidal ideations a couple of times. I understand it like a mind trick, because suicide is out of question for me (if I have suicidal ideations, it's because something isn't working well). The first time I had suicidal ideations, I took antidepressants. No shame on that because I was probably physiologically screwed up. It's not just a matter of changing semantics. It's deeper than that.

11 hours ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

I think you're mixing up depression with sadness.

Suicidal ideation is a very complex problem... It may need medication, support network, etc. And even so, it's not guaranteed to work. 

The only way to cure suicidal thoughts is for one to do it themselves overtime. It won't take an hour, a week, or even months to fully get rid of your suicidal thoughts. It requires constant work and understanding of what suicide is. I haven't fully cured mine but it definitely is improving a lot. There was a time when I got low to the point of where I was about try to kill myself with a butter knife due to family problems and nihilism. The main thing that helps is knowing that there is always a possibility for happiness. And it's nice to have people to hang out with.

On 21/12/2018 at 10:32 PM, Roman Edouard said:

Ends all self-suffering and you won't have to deal with problems

this is an extremely naive and egoistical approach because you're not taking the feelings of the close ones into consideration.

unborn Truth

Write a list of all the little things you love about life, save the big stuff for last in the list. The small stuff is what makes life so beautiful. 

I wrote a list like this and havent seriously considered it in about 3 years.

It could look like...

Regular everyday stuff ”Small”

•Coffee in the sunshine in the morning

•A really blissful meditation-session

•Brainstorming my art-projects

etc etc

Make about 50 points

Unless youre clinically and hopelessly depressed, these things could really help.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

One of the features of suicidal ideation is that it can become a habit that can be hard to break. This type of thinking could easily persist for years, and there is always the danger that a day comes when you decide to actually carry it out.

As @Gabriel Antonio says it can be a very complex issue. I think at its heart is the need to escape an unbearable situation or thoughts or feelings, and is often accompanied by long term depression. I'd say it can be nearly impossible to shift out of this way of being through willpower alone - you will need outside help.

Saying that, if you're given viable options for moving past the cause of the pain, then the suicidal ideation will stop. 

However, there are some things that you can do that can take the edge off depression, which may help:

• Have a regular routine
  • Sleep properly
  • Take regular exercise
  • Have regular contact with friends or people (especially supportive ones)
  • Eat cleanly and regularly
  • Engage in activities which need focus
  • Take medication (personally not my first choice, but results can be helpful)

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

The idea that suicide is logical has a massive flaw. it relies on the assumption that after death is nothing. The truth is, we have no idea what happens to our consciousness after death. we may have to relive the last day of our suffering over and over like groundhog day. we may be put in a situation that is even worse.  we just don't know. There is also the idea that we CAN suicide. This is an issue because people have been shot in the head and survived. people have fallen from great heights and survived.  people have survived all manner of things and the suffering that comes afterwards can be many times worse than the suffering of a person who feels suicidal.
This is how I overcame my suicidal ideations; by realising that it is not under my control.

I like more radical idea: even if the possibility for happiness doesn't exist one should remain alive for the sake of curiosity.

Horror movie is better than no movie. It's like the plane is about to inevitably crush against the mountain, go to the tale to last a bit longer and enjoy the damn show.

Disintegration and pain is the inevitable part of life, that's the First Noble Truth that Buddha discovered, why make it a problem?

For anyone suffering there - suffer well. :)