Beeflamb

Have I joined a cult?

49 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Emanyalpsid said:

Well, today a topic on the forum was closed by Leo. Without the topic breaking any rules and the discussion was in the subforum where it fits. Buddhism holds there is no absolute, this is in contrast with Leo's conviction.

It seems Leo didn't want us to talk about it further. So he decides what we should and should not talk about, even within the rules of the forum. Thereby, he places himself above us.

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/28840-differences-between-hinduism-and-buddhism/

Then I called him out as to why he did this, in this topic.

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/28966-why-did-the-topic-buddhism-hinduism-got-closed/

This topic got closed also, without an answer.

So the facts;

- You are not allowed to doubt the absolute (the thing Leo preaches and holds for true)

- Leo places himself above the rest

- He does not account for his behavior to the community

You tell me if that is cult-like or not.

In case you havent noticed, nobody is trying to talk you out of leaving the forum and not watching another video ;)

in a cult, the leader is praised and the followers make their minds up to believe that the leader is always behaving properly and speaking the truth.

this is quite the opposite with leo. he's a highly thoughtful/logical person and i think he's a little too smart for his own good, given the fact that he's a seeker of enlightenment.

it's very clear to me that he's learning with us. in other words, we're all learning together.

unborn Truth

Just now, ajasatya said:

in a cult, the leader is praised and the followers make their minds up to believe that the leader is always behaving properly and speaking the truth.

this is quite the opposite with leo. he's a highly thoughtful/logical person and i think he's a little too smart for his own good, given the fact that he's a seeker of enlightenment.

it's very clear to me that he's learning with us. in other words, we're all learning together.

you didn't hear ? u are a devil minion

no honey for the anal ventriloquist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

@Emanyalpsid Your thread got several pages of discussion and ran it’s course. It’s innappropriate to start new threads and hijack threads to start forum discussions about how you have been treated unfairly and to troll admins/mods as cult leaders. If you disagree about a lock, just let it go or pm the mod. to explain yourself and get clarity.  

Disagreement and debate is fine. Just keep it civil.

I didn't take Leo's word for it, i actually experienced the absolute.  Once this happens to you, it just is.   It's real.  You can call it whatever you want to call it at that point but once you have actually experienced it you will know for yourself and this debate melts away.

We must not cease from exploration and at the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at the place where we began and to know the place for the first time.       --T.S Eliot

@Emanyalpsid @Beeflamb I'd also like to add that, anytime someone is doing and changing things in a big way. Or, comes at it from a different angle and provides something that hasn't been done before there tends to be what looks like a cult following-from the surface may in fact look like a cult. This is definitely tricky and nuanced territory, when you are making a big impact these things happen.

Did Mahatma Gandhi create a cult? How about Nelson Mandela? Any other leader that you respect? something to contemplate.

Have you studied the intricacies of cults?

With great power comes great responsibility 

On 12/12/2018 at 7:44 PM, Emanyalpsid said:

Well, today a topic on the forum was closed by Leo. Without the topic breaking any rules and the discussion was in the subforum where it fits. Buddhism holds there is no absolute, this is in contrast with Leo's conviction.

It seems Leo didn't want us to talk about it further. So he decides what we should and should not talk about, even within the rules of the forum. Thereby, he places himself above us.

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/28840-differences-between-hinduism-and-buddhism/

Then I called him out as to why he did this, in this topic.

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/28966-why-did-the-topic-buddhism-hinduism-got-closed/

This topic got closed also, without an answer.

So the facts;

- You are not allowed to doubt the absolute (the thing Leo preaches and holds for true)

- Leo places himself above the rest

- He does not account for his behavior to the community

You tell me if that is cult-like or not.

It is cult-like. In the sense that the forum does require a leader and an ultimate idea for it to be run. How does one create a better community that ultimately isn't? That is a genuine inquiry. If there is not accountability in a specific area, then there is at least a vision statement and a lot of accountability in other areas. Which is created by a leader in the first place. Out of interest, what happens if there is a personal development forum run by a Buddhist as an Administrator, and you persistently debate the absolute there, this time in a case for the Hinduism ideal and therefore the opposing argument. Is that an experiment worth pursuing?

My experience of forums is generally that they are run and funded by leaders of whatever the main topics are, so ultimately the freedom to debate within that is at their discretion for as long as they want. Whilst some may claim free speech exists and rules exist, and you may buy into that or assume that as a user, and it is a noble idea, there may be other guidelines or unforeseen limitations such as no hate speech which contradict this, as well as personality conflicts, developments and adaptations, or just plain lies or power disagreements. No absolute enforcement, incorrect interpretations, and in general mistakes and unawareness is everywhere on all levels of a system. This is why it is virtually impossible to be a successful leader or administrator in any field and everything is cult-like to a degree. It is worth noting if someone without power makes an incorrect decision there is less consequence as well. Perhaps it is a case of everything in moderation, including moderation.

There was an answer though. From the outside, as a neutral, it appears he genuinely felt the question was redundant and had been debated for a while to no avail, with regards to the enlightenment section. You oppose this and feel it is still worth questioning, or at least the option should remain. I don't really know. I feel this is the best position. Personally, I have not achieved enlightenment, as I would describe it, without a higher power. And I have genuinely tried to show this ideal experience on an atheist board and been banned. So I tend to realise that most things are unaccepting of opposition, although I am intrigued and open-minded to possibility of other experience. Such as enlightenment without a God, which I was not able to achieve, and not through a lack of inquiry.

namaste

On 12/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Beeflamb said:

Yet I find some outside sources trying to expose actualized.org

Being overly paranoid about everything is not healthy and will hinder growth. But, on the other hand, trust your intuition. Use Leo's videos as tools, but do not become single pointed. Find at least a few additional teachers/positive influences. The more perspectives you explore, the less likely you are to be mislead. Comparing many perspective gives one a more concrete worldview, improves one's ability to make wise discernments, and increases one's capacity for independent thought.