Pharion

No media challenge.

22 posts in this topic

This is a habit, or maybe rather a lack of habits im considering. I haven't really heard of anyone doing this, but it seems like a powerful way to increase focus, consciousness, and starve that distracted, addicted monkey mind that we all feed in the modern world. So, do you think is a good idea? It seems extreme, but honestly I dont watch TV or movies any more, and when I watch you tube I dont really get much from it, but its still just an easy thing to pick up and stave off some boredom. Music would be the hardest thing to give up, but I think it's necessary if your going to commit to this. 

The rules:

No video games. 

No you tube.

No Netflix or TV. 

No movies, or videos of any kind.

No music (except live music) 

No social media.

No multi tasking!

Exceptions: You can watch movies or game if your doing it in person with friends and not all the time.

You cant text people if you have a purpose for texting them. 

You can designate a time or day where will listen to music, or educational youtube videos or other media, just make sure it has a purpose and you do it at a certain time or day. Feel free to modify these rules if you want to try this, but just know it may be less effective. 

Benefits: Clarity of mind. Focus. No more feeding addictions. Learn to accept boredom. Reduce the need for constant stimulation. This should help with your meditation practice, and general mindfulness. It should also help with creativity and accomplishing goals. Strengthen will power, and minimalise your life. Create more time for healthy habits and life purpose to shine. Re train your mind to not crave constant short term rewards.

So, let me know what you think of this, and if you're going to give it a try. For me personally I'm not worried about missing new information because I've spent so much time taking in information and not applying it... if your just getting into self actualization and have much to learn then make an acception for that stuff. Otherwise, good luck with trying this. 

A video game could give an architect a new idea for their building. A powerful story can change your perspective on life. A quality documentary can teach you so much about a given subject. Youtube offer dozens of channels like Actualized.org that can benefit you. Listening to music, podcasts or a talk show while driving can improve your mood and stimulate your mind. Social media can offer you countless connections for your career. I think it's a good idea to make a structured time during the day for media, but media itself isn't the problem, it's just how you use it.

You call that a challenge? Here's what i suggest to the true seekers :P

STARVE EVERYTHING out of your life that provides and or includes any form of reward system/minimal to no stimulation of rewarding neurotransmitters, yes including FOOD.

Do absolutely nothing for one day, maybe walks and a form of meditation/mindfulness is okay and drinking water.

The rest is an absolute NONO. Watch what happens soon after.

B R E A T H E

@plutoI laughed while reading this because you just perfectly described my life. I keep things very simple at the moment so I can stay in peace. Walks in nature, eating sattvic food, breathe awareness.

Although because it is nearing Christmas a good test for you Pluto is to go into the crowded shops and stay in meditative awareness! Black Friday is another good day for it, your soul learns so much from observing the human collective ego.

Of course, I’m open as well to living a more turbulent life externally. I love the challenge, but right now it would be too challenging; my mind provides enough.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@EternalForest This is all true. I'm suggesting that you first gain full control and stillness. Then you will know the true difference between pursuing something for real gain, or if it is simply for comfort and entertainment. 

@pluto sounds like an interesting challenge, but I'm more interested in things that can be a permanent change to your habits. And hey, just because you're not able to say, meditate for 3 hours straight that doesn't mean you aren't a true seeker, we all have to work our way out of the sludge of bad habits, mindset, karma, etc. and that takes time :)

@Sahil Pandit No such thing :) just do more of the important things, or even better do them slower and more deliberately (EG. lifestyle minimalism)

@Solace That's one of my favorite things to do, i do it often. Go to crowded places and just behave like a wise old man. Inside i am like a child giggling  and smiling observing their reactions :D I like to see how many people i can make smile or uplift just by being in the midst of it all.

@Pharion All is understood and well, just my 2c :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto So like a one day solo retreat? Sounds like an interesting challenge. I'll give it a shot!

I still want to do a 7 day solo retreat sometime this winter with no electronics (phone, pc, tv, etc.) Really looking forward to that, never done a retreat before.

@Pharion Agreed,  after the retreats I take mentioned above I'll get back to you on that.

@EternalForest At one point i was doing it daily for a long time, i believe this is when i was at one of my highest levels of awareness. Eventually everything becomes bliss :) The beginning is always a hell of a challenge though especially if you have a lot of baggage.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto

31 minutes ago, pluto said:

@EternalForest At one point i was doing it daily for a long time, i believe this is when i was at one of my highest levels of awareness. Eventually everything becomes bliss :) The beginning is always a hell of a challenge though especially if you have a lot of baggage.

You seem pretty in advance in this, I want to ask you, have you kept a constant momentum since then or is the time you're referring to more of a "peak" in you life?

1 hour ago, pluto said:

I like to see how many people i can make smile or uplift just by being in the midst of it all.

That’s so lovely. I knew you were a softie for that.

@EternalForest Yes go for it. Make sure you do a retreat somewhere supportive. I did it with family last year, and it was distracting to say the least. And remember, the aim is to open your heart up.

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

Only reason why I would consider this, would be if it takes to much time and I am addicted to any of this stuff  , if that is not the case, then you are overthinking , it is about being able to live without any of that , not that you have to live without any of it. 

Edited by purerogue

@Pharion The momentum is always on a permanent rise but there are still ups and downs. It all depends on how much you really want it but sometimes in order to expand further we need to delude and forget again so we experience new peaks(so to speak).

The deeper into darkness we dive, the more powerful the rebound effect.

B R E A T H E

@pluto Would you suggest doing a one day retreat before you try a one week? Or would it be more powerful for your first time to just jump into a week long?