Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tashawoodfall

Sharing the Holy Grail

8 posts in this topic

Ok, so yesterday I went to a place where "teens at risk" live at - to do 2 40 minute speeches.  As I'm speaking I had an almost too-real moment of realizing how challenging it is to communicate the lessons I've learned, to share the holy grail.  I just saw one or two of them actually listening and MAYBE getting something out of it.  The rest were antsy/anxious and just I felt a feeling of hopelessness in my life purpose, my cause.  Anybody have any tips as to this part of "the Hero's journey".  

@tashawoodfall

I think you need a shift in perspective.

I'm sure you want to positively impact as many people as possible, which is good. But don't get caught up in the ego fantasy of everyone is going to love what I have to say.

Change one life.

If that's all you did, it's still worth it. Because that one person will go out and help one more person. Who will help another person.

So that would be my advice. Don't let your self-esteem get wrapped up in people's reactions to what you are saying. Say it because it's your truth and it feels good to share.

You're doing a huge service. So first off thank you. I’ve been in that spot when I was a teenager (can’t believe I’m saying that) when I was suicidal at that time and man, if you reach just 1 person who really hears you and feels you, that 1 person is more than you could probably ask for if you really impact them. I remember there would be suicide awareness speeches in my high school and whenever we had a good speaker, I literally felt that he was talking to me and I felt acknowledged and heard. 

As far as the hero’s journey, how deep are you going with it because obviously as a lot of us here on this forum know, what the hero’s journey is really pointing to is awakening and enlightenment and obviously those guys probably wouldn’t be that receptive to that if you’re being direct. For me, when I actually talk about the hero’s journey to people I actually get emotional (not in the sense that I’m crying) and people really feel that and it’s usually my strength when I communicate that I communicate from the heart and I do so emphatically and genuinely and people can really feel that off me when I do. So yeah, maybe food for thought.

@tashawoodfall That's what we call a Threshold Guardian.

Don't expect to be a rockstar at the beginning. That only comes towards the end. With mastery.

Skill has to be learned through failure. So there you go. You got a little taste. Now do it again, but this time 1% better. By the 100th time, you'll have something.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

As Leo says, it sounds like you just haven't mastered the skill.

I recommend reading books about mastery that help can you express your journey.

Even if it was just one or two teens listening, isn’t that enough for you to go on doing your work? Have more faith and confidence in yourself and that you’re doing the right thing by sharing your story. :) You’ll eventually find a way to get more engagement, just keep practicing. Keep in mind also that there are some people who simply won’t want your help, and that’s okay!

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

Such incredible insights by everyone-what a great reminder as this is applicable to my present situation. Thank you @tashawoodfall for the great question.