Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZZZZ

Music depreciation

10 posts in this topic

I've noticed that I listen to music a lot less now, particularly in the car when I'm alone. I used to think sitting in silence in the car was pretty odd whenever I saw someone else do it, but I've just gotten used to it now. I'm starting to think it's because I'm present more and content without having music on just for the "noise." I think another part of it is that I don't really identify with the party/money/BS lyrics anymore, and I'm perking up to them more (especially in radio songs).

I guess I just don't have a lot of music I love, in general (genre or artist). There's always a time for certain kinds of music, I just haven't been too compelled to seek it out lately.

Has anyone else experienced this as they've been working on mindfulness practices, or is it just me?

I used to love music and it considered a large part of my life. However, situations occurred that generated negative connotations with it and I just stopped listening to it.  The experience of noticing how much of a hold both the desire and the resistance had on me, was helpful in discovering the separation I was from the stories that played out in my thoughts.

Now music only grabs me occasionally and I enjoy the space to be aware and question that isn't dominated by something that holds little value.

Maybe my body chemistry has changed too.

Whenever Im in a phase of creating music, I naturally consume it less. For you it might be a reaction to over saturation of noise and fuzz in your life in general. There is that, and the fact that radio music is terrible :D try getting into something that lingers in the middleground of music and silence, like ambient or drone. Try sleep research facility or loscil

no but I listened more than 50 different vibes through my life, something I almost never noticed in people.

metal, electronic, jazz, rap

I mean "genre" what the fuck do you mean, show me good music

there is a time for bass & a time for silence

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

@ZZZZ Tbh my mindfulness practice seems to have made me want to listen to music more. Its so enjoyable and magical*

Edited by Rinne

Nope. I always loved music. But I guess after the SA work started, I have different ears for it now. 

I still listen to a lot of music to set up the tone of the moment, to introspect, to give a sense of meaning, etc. Music gives me a lot of semi-peak-experience like moments

Music is a huge part of my life and I quite like to listen to music mindfully.

What I mean by that is I actually pay attention to basically everything in that particular track no matter the genre. The instruments, effects, rhythms, you name it. Bass is my favourite one because 1. I'm a bass player 2. You really have to pay close  attention to it because the bass is mixed in such a way that you can bearly hear it so you really need to focus.

Same for me, became much less. 

Nowadays I almost only listen to ambient, if so very mindfully and a few times a year I like expressing my current state of feeling free in dancing. Berlin Techno is amazing for that :) Always feels like an energetic release and a mindful exploration of effortless movement.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:07 PM, ZZZZ said:

I've noticed that I listen to music a lot less now, particularly in the car when I'm alone. I used to think sitting in silence in the car was pretty odd whenever I saw someone else do it, but I've just gotten used to it now. I'm starting to think it's because I'm present more and content without having music on just for the "noise." I think another part of it is that I don't really identify with the party/money/BS lyrics anymore, and I'm perking up to them more (especially in radio songs).

I guess I just don't have a lot of music I love, in general (genre or artist). There's always a time for certain kinds of music, I just haven't been too compelled to seek it out lately.

Has anyone else experienced this as they've been working on mindfulness practices, or is it just me?

Yes. Totally. Life of music, listening, attending, gigging, playing & singing, etc - then years of silence - now the music is ‘back’, better than ever.  Everything changed, though nothing changed. Like, wtf? Sammy Hagar was enlightened this whole time? 5150 is code for what?! “Best of Both Worlds”?! Wow. Oh, now I hear what you’re saying Dave Mathews, ok, “Save Yourself”, obviously. “Good love is on the way” ZZZZ. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I will mention that music has always been incredible on MDMA and psychadelics in a way that I am not sure I will ever comprehend. How certain sounds illicit an image or a feeling, that is amazing. I guess I just don't feel that on the day-to-day, and any song seems to lose its "magic" after just a couple playthroughs.

I will put on some higher BPM music to workout, something calmer to help relax, etc. I just don't find myself wanting to turn it on or enjoying it spontaneously like I maybe once did. Further thought has made me realize that it's also a chore to find music that others also enjoy that I don't find terrible, or the other way around.