Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pharion

Are my beliefs stage-orange hogwash, or in line with non duality?

28 posts in this topic

@FoxFoxFox  Very good explanation! 

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

Reading these replies have been emotionally challenging for my ego, but I think that's a good thing. I'm going to try to keep delving deeper and let my beliefs burn until their is nothing left. It's funny because I started with realizing I was nihilist, it was scary and horrible so I began my quest into philosophy looking for meaning, and now it's looking like things may go full circle. After realizing that I didn't believe anything was true and than searching hard for meaning and believing I'd found it, looks like thats  the end. First I deconstructed all the beliefs taught to me by society, then I constructed my own, and now you guys are telling me to deconstruct those! And thats what im going to do, to quote Pearl Jam "It's evolution, baby!" I 

I honestly used to believe everything Leo says about beliefs like "Killing is not wrong, nothing is right or wrong!" Except is scared the shit out of me, and I couldn't accept it. I dont believe that now, and maybe it's going to full circle. For those saying I just listened to other peoples beliefs and adopted those, no. I've constructed my own philosophy from the very foundation up. It might resemble other people's sure, but it is authentically me.

It sounds like you built yourself another perspective. Nothing wrong with that. It’s the name of the game. If you grow tired of that one, move on to the next one, then the next, then the next. . . Your perspectives will get more integrated and deep. These are all relative perspectives that arise from one absolute. There is no one “correct” perspective to be found. They keep evolving from the One Absolute. It never ends. Don’t get attached or grasp in to any of them - that would cause suffering. 

@Serotoninluv Indeed, good advise. I'ts very tempting (especially the more evidence you have that they are true) to centre your whole life emotionally around them, I've been tempted so much do that, but if imagine a life of being say a vegan advocate I can see how much inner turmoil and conflict that stirs up. It's ego fuel. So what I'm getting is that sure, have beliefs, but don't get emotionally invested in them. I see a lot of vegans doing that actually as an example, and they are just creating turmoil and ego growth in thier life where they don't have to :/ in terms of changing beliefs I've always been pretty good about not getting dogmatic, and accepting new evidence to change my beliefs. I remember one weekend mocking how silly libertarians were with my dad, and then two weeks later I had made a 180 after listening to some speakers and debates and thinking about it a lot. 

Whether "in line with non duality" or "not in line with non duality" does no matter. Who cares? ;)

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

The point is that belief systems are reductive.

They are models of reality.

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Every model fails in certain cases and some fail in a larger number of cases.

Even something as eminently useful as Newtonian mechanics fails at very small and very large scales, so forget about belief systems.

Edited by Haumea2018

@Haumea2018 yeah that's true, best to approach every situation as novel but it is useful to have guiding principles in mind so as to orient yourself to each situation. Otherwise the situation would be constantly overwhelming and we would spend the whole deciding which pair of socks to wear haha