aclokay

There's nothing behind you

11 posts in this topic

I noticed something cool during my Vipassana meditations.

Notice the sensation of your back, spine, etc. Is it behind you? Certainly feels so. But also not quite! If you bring your attention to the parts which are behind you, they are no longer behind you!

Then, we can entertain this idea further. No just your "behind" sensations are actually in front, but all idea of having things behind you falls apart. No one is watching you from behind. There are no objects behind. No sound is coming from behind. Simply because if you bring your awareness to it, it just manifests itself in your foreground.

But this begs the questions, is there anything in front of you ? 9_9

Edited by aclokay
spelling

Fantastic. Good way of explaining it. All those people you see, they don't exist. 

One way I like to think about it; what if all these people telling me about enlightenment, all the people on this forum, all the books I read, none of those people exist? They are just myself, telling myself that I need to wake up, because I forgot that I was dreaming. All those people I interact with are just characters in this dream. Theyre just a dream, dreamt from my consciousness. Then I go back and imagine all of that through again, but this time there is no 'me' or "I" in the equation. 

@Jed Vassallo How can you “forget” something? You can only forget a thought, never reality.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Very important insight! Helped alot in my inquiry. :) Nice!

Dont look at me! Look inside!

1 minute ago, How to be wise said:

@Jed Vassallo How can you “forget” something? You can only forget a thought, never reality.

'I' can't. All there is is the movie playing, with no one there watching it. 

1 hour ago, aclokay said:

Notice the sensation of your back, spine, etc. Is it behind you? Certainly feels so. But also not quite! If you bring your attention to the parts which are behind you, they are no longer behind you!

These are fun to do. Also take notice on how you can't focus on more than one sensation at the same time. E.g. you can sit on a chair, and focus your attention on the pressure on your bum, maybe theres also some pressure on your back, and if youre feet are touching the ground, you can feel some pressure when they are touching the ground. If you focus on the pressure of your feet touching the ground, you most likely already forgot the pressure on your bum and your back. Everything we experience is just a focus on temporary fields of condensated energy ( physical sensations, sounds, thoughts,.). By doing this, It's very easy to see that we never experience a full body, nor are we in it. We are just a blank field of consciousness experiencing so called sensations.

Edited by Psyche_92

2 hours ago, Jed Vassallo said:

because I forgot that I was dreaming. . 

You can only forget a thought, never reality.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

13 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

You can only forget a thought, never reality.

Ha, nice one there.

4 hours ago, Jed Vassallo said:

One way I like to think about it; what if all these people telling me about enlightenment, all the people on this forum, all the books I read, none of those people exist? They are just myself, telling myself that I need to wake up, because I forgot that I was dreaming. All those people I interact with are just characters in this dream. Theyre just a dream, dreamt from my consciousness. Then I go back and imagine all of that through again, but this time there is no 'me' or "I" in the equation. 

There is a similar recurring motif in my trip.s 

It's really really frightening to me. It's starts by going so deep I start having God thoughts. I think I'm God and all of these people and beings around me are manifested by me! 

In this state, I look at people in two ways: Those who enjoy their life and those who don't

1. Those who enjoy it are keeping me asleep. They look at me and beg me not to wake up, because if I wake up it's all over. Every person who calls me asks me to stay just a bit longer. So I could enjoy it with them.

2. Those who don't are beginning me to wake up and end their suffering. All of my spiritual teacher are standing around me in a circle just beginning in either as prayer or as manipulative trick, all of the Gurus, Buddha's Enlightenment seems to be incomplete because he remains an idea in my head. Goenkaji Is pleeding 'Come out of it' 'Come out of it', all to end their suffering.

This insights are really scary primarily because there's no way I could understand them or act upon them :(