Ampresus

Overwhelmed with books

15 posts in this topic

I just got back from the library and it turns out that I can get Deepak Chopra books there. There were also books categorized in ''Mindfulness'' and ''Psychology''. I was very suprised. You have to understand that this is the third time I visited the library in 3 months. An entire world just opened to me. I am still very young, so I guess I have an advantage on everyone who has started reading late in their lives? I am excited to read all those books, but it is kind of my issue too.

I have no clue if I should follow my own booklist, or just go to the library every month and pick 3 books. Since joining this forum, the goal was to follow my booklist. Categorize what I am interested in and go on from there. I already have 32 books in my booklist. The struggle with knowing which one I should buy first is already kind of an issue. Now that I know my library has even more books, I don't know what to do. 

Oh yeah, does anyone know anything about Khalil Gibran? I saw a book of his, and he is some kind of founder of psychology? Something like that I think. All I know is that the guy was born in Lebanon.

2 hours ago, Ampresus said:

I just got back from the library and it turns out that I can get Deepak Chopra books there. There were also books categorized in ''Mindfulness'' and ''Psychology''. I was very suprised. You have to understand that this is the third time I visited the library in 3 months. An entire world just opened to me. I am still very young, so I guess I have an advantage on everyone who has started reading late in their lives? I am excited to read all those books, but it is kind of my issue too.

I have no clue if I should follow my own booklist, or just go to the library every month and pick 3 books. Since joining this forum, the goal was to follow my booklist. Categorize what I am interested in and go on from there. I already have 32 books in my booklist. The struggle with knowing which one I should buy first is already kind of an issue. Now that I know my library has even more books, I don't know what to do. 

Oh yeah, does anyone know anything about Khalil Gibran? I saw a book of his, and he is some kind of founder of psychology? Something like that I think. All I know is that the guy was born in Lebanon.

HI Ampresus,

How old are you?  What are you looking for in these books?  Or is it just a passion inside your mind or heart?  

@Ampresus I don't think it particularly matters which book you read first, I would just read what you are most interested in at the moment, there will always be more books to read, even if you've read a 1000 books.

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

Don't take books seriously, they are just stepping stones. 

Meditation is more beneficial. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

19 hours ago, Mu_ said:

HI Ampresus,

How old are you?  What are you looking for in these books?  Or is it just a passion inside your mind or heart?

@Mu_ 14 years old. Overall I want to find my life purpose by reading in many different subjects. Right now I am focussing on beneficial books for teens. I want to have the advantage in my life which many people, even on this forum, don't have because all they did was gaming in their teens years. Instead of reading books and building up knowledge, they ''wasted'' their time as Leo put it. 

12 hours ago, VictorB02 said:

I don't think it particularly matters which book you read first, I would just read what you are most interested in at the moment, there will always be more books to read, even if you've read a 1000 books.

@VictorB02 I guess that's true. Thanks for the advice.

4 hours ago, Hellspeed said:

Don't take books seriously, they are just stepping stones. 

Meditation is more beneficial. 

@Hellspeed Leo says in some of his video's that the fact that people often ignore books is a form of ignorance and that everyone should read books. You are saying that I shouldn't focus too much on them. I don't know what to do. 

@Ampresus

14 years old.  Good for you :) You should read as much as you like and feel like, follow your heart.  Don't worry about it giving you an advantage or not.  The point of this work is to bring you closer to life, humanity, the galaxy, not give you an advantage.

Edited by Mu_

48 minutes ago, Mu_ said:

14 years old.  Good for you :) You should read as much as you like and feel like, follow your heart.  Don't worry about it giving you an advantage or not.  The point of this work is to bring you closer to life, humanity, the galaxy, not give you an advantage.

@Mu_ I read daily. I don't know why, but there was something with ''learning everyday''. By reading books daily, I learn new things on a new basis.  

Last year I gave all my books away.  I had a library that consisted of hundreds (if not a thousand) philosophy, science, and art books.  I gave them all way.  I used to be swimming in books; but now it's hard to find a single book around me.  Books are great when you're in the filling your cup stage of Personal Development.  But when you hit your emptying your cup stage of Enlightenment, books are a serious distraction.   But remember, you gotta fill your cup before you empty your, that's the paradox that is personal development.  So, depending on where you are on the Path, some of you should be devouring books and some of you should be doing something else.  We're not all at the same stage in our Personal Development.  Personal Development is a circle, you have the filling of the cup stage and the emptying of the cup stage.  You gotta know where you are at in that process.  It's like seeing one of those "you are here" signs in a park that lets you know where you're at.  You need to find that for own personal development.  Where are you now?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I would categorize your books into specific categories and then read the books in the order of categories.

And theoretically repeat that process once you've read all the books from all the categories you want to read from (which can of course theoretically be hundreds of categories)

This would be a piratical strategy- see how you feel about that.

Another option would be as is already stated above to just read whatever you feel like reading at the moment- don't think about it for too long and then go for it and don't look back.

So those are two options.

About Khalil Gibran, you can simply google him my friend?

10 hours ago, Ampresus said:

I myself was reading too many books in this lifetime hahaha, so in the end, reading books is just info from others experiences. If still want to read, go for Sci-fi, Novels, Poetry, Art Literature, Religious books, Occult books, etc. The most benefit you will get from, are art forms, it will all fall into place when you go deep into meditation. 

@Hellspeed Leo says in some of his video's that the fact that people often ignore books is a form of ignorance and that everyone should read books. You are saying that I shouldn't focus too much on them. I don't know what to do. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

20 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Where are you now?

@Joseph Maynor My man I just started my journey. I don't know how far I am. I don't know if there are important things I have to master. I just started. The reason why I want to read books is because they can guide me. 

1 hour ago, K VIL said:

I'm so impressed. 

@K VIL By what?

@Hellspeed Nice inspiration. What would it be a shame if it didn't contain any useful advice. Oh wait...

21 hours ago, Sven said:

About Khalil Gibran, you can simply google him my friend?

@Sven I know, but then I would get wikipedia's explanation. Not that I don't trust it, it's just not the explanation I want. I want to see the effect he has on people on this forum. If people are familiar with him, if there is anyone who actually loves him and would love to give me an insight. Not an objective explanation of the guy's work and life history. 

You need outside help like Modafinil to help you focus on reading a book and getting through it.

"Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish. And The Face of your Lord Full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever❤️" Quran: Surat Ar-Rahman (The Merciful)

"We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient"?Quran: Suratal Al-baqarah (The Cow)