CirclesofMastery

How to find mentors

32 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have heard a lot from business and self-development gurus on how having mentors is a key and fundamental part of helping you get ahead in whatever it is they happen to be experts in. I have the idea this is not the usual acquaintance relationship and should be handled differently. How is it that i can get somebody to invest their time and effort into me for little or no return? Should i offer money for their expertise or will this then change this into just another tutor that will withhold information until they get value from me which would be money. Once i have identified my potential mentor how do i proceed?

Any experience shared would be so valuable! 

Br

CoM

Can't tell you how to find them.. but I can tell you mine is Mooji :) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

there is no need to take upon someone else as personal jesus the saviour, by doing so one only addapts dependency of such person and falls further into helplessness.

watch gurus and what they say on internet for free, consider what your friends say about you and put it all in combined perspective.

then make your own decision what you need to change and do for your growth. you are growing and developing yourself for yourself.

advice and motivation are just guideposts and encouragement for your own journey, they help to balance your posture, from that point onwards you should walkyour own way =]

pay nothing to no-one and accept no opinion more important than your own. grow some integrity and life will be fun!

I consider Leo to be my main mentor and guru, I follow him and his words strictly. Although I may never see him in real life or talk to him, I made him my biggest mentor because his work has the biggest, most profound impact on me.

Then I have some other small mentors on the interner like Bob Proctor, Elliot Hulse, Corey Wayne. I don't follow them as strictly as Leo, but I think they are good too. I do not know if I ever find a mentor in real life who will actually teach me something for real, but do I even need to? Who says that Leos teaching aren't perfectly enough, especially since he brings out a new video every week, is active in this forum, answers almost every single question of ours. The internet if full of mentors, just choose a few and watch all their stuff. 

I run a life coaching business and I have my own personal development coach, business coach and a health and fitness coach.

I was lucky to get introduced to my health and fitness coach who has offered to coach me for free in return I help advertise and recommend her. 

I am paying a really good business coach because I believe having someone who is experienced and is where I want to be, is they key to my success also (mind you I pay her good money for results), If I didn't see the results I wanted I would of let her go but she has a great reputation. 

My personal development life coach is someone I met through my coaching college so we sort of bounce ideas of each other and help each other with personal development (but it always a learning experience between the client and the coach).

I had a mentor when I going through my law degree who was actually my boss at the time, so I was very fortunate to have someone who took the time and day out for me. 

Depending what outcomes you are trying to achieve and you can ask around (it never hurts to ask if you look up to someone and ask them to be your mentor) but sometimes it does pay off to hire an expert in the field who has what you want. 

Lastly, i agree with everyone else, the internet can be your best friend for learning from other people. For me, I don't have all the time in the world to search for answers so having a coach has helped me a lot. 

21 hours ago, denselayman said:

there is no need to take upon someone else as personal jesus the saviour, by doing so one only addapts dependency of such person and falls further into helplessness.

watch gurus and what they say on internet for free, consider what your friends say about you and put it all in combined perspective.

then make your own decision what you need to change and do for your growth. you are growing and developing yourself for yourself.

advice and motivation are just guideposts and encouragement for your own journey, they help to balance your posture, from that point onwards you should walkyour own way =]

pay nothing to no-one and accept no opinion more important than your own. grow some integrity and life will be fun!

I think you have strong misconception about hiring mentors. Hiring mentors certainly helps, for example( there are many videos on internet about body building Which helps the viewer to watch and practise at gym. But, what if the viewer didn't perform well according to video and break his neck? Then he/she has to sit in home for 3months. Hiring mentor helps you solve practical problems, dilemmas, general doubts in mind. Internet video is helpful for mass , but a mentor will focus each case individually). Martial arts people, sports, boxing, entrepreneurs, politicians, every field on earth need a mentor to avoid cross roads and create a straight direction to attain mastery.

there is famous quote " you need a map , before you enter woods"- brendon burchard.

by the way im not a mentor. ?

23 hours ago, Ayla said:

How are you a moderator! 

Just now, CirclesofMastery said:

How are you a moderator! 

I'm sorry? 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

23 hours ago, Ayla said:

By Mooji I thought you meant these >>> xD:/9_9 i googled him. It's actually a real person LOL 

Just now, CirclesofMastery said:

By Mooji I thought you meant these >>> xD:/9_9 i googled him. It's actually a real person LOL 

hahahahaa that's so funny !!! 

:x

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

2 minutes ago, CirclesofMastery said:

How are you a moderator! 

Are you serious mate ? She is here to volunteer and spread her wisdom, she doesn't have to know about every question we ask. 

Just now, Barack osama said:

Are you serious mate ? She is here to volunteer and spread her wisdom, she doesn't have to know about every question we ask. 

That's OK, 

I'm at a point in my journey where I don't get offended any longer because the I that I know myself to be.. is forever in peace :)

I just did not understood what @CirclesofMastery wanted to ask :)

So yeah Mooji Is a Real Person ! 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

I discovered mooji recently and I must say he's awesome. 

:)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

7 minutes ago, Ayla said:

That's OK, 

I'm at a point in my journey where I don't get offended any longer because the I that I know myself to be.. is forever in peace :)

I just did not understood what @CirclesofMastery wanted to ask :)

So yeah Mooji Is a Real Person ! 

Could you explain briefly how could you stay calm in every situation without reacting to the situation, if you are generous could you tell me the steps to attain that tranquility state

Edited by Barack osama
Sentence correction

I think I need a mentor to help coach me what to say, and what not to say on the internet, to strangers.  Like how open should one really be with people you don't know, don't have any way to measure how safe you are to post comments or thoughts, and even on my facebook page... like how willing should you be to bare yourself to others.  My natural tendency is to be totally open, but I don't think it is always wise to reveal unfiltered thinking to everybody in the world.  It can get you into trouble... or is it best to just blurt out whatever comes to your head?

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I have one million and one "virtual mentors" online. I can literally sit for hours and hours and only come out with a surface level understanding sometimes and just sit like a spectator not much different to watching a film or TV series. I know from my own experience my subconscious mind is impacted on a far deeper level when i have the energy and presence from real interactions and people, especially when I know there aren't any second chances to soak up the lessons.  

It's mechanical components of personal mentor building i have no idea about.... 

9 minutes ago, Barack osama said:

Could you explain briefly how could you stay calm in every situation without reacting to the situation, if you are generous could you tell me the steps to attain that tranquility state

I know that everything I perceive is not me (is an illusion). 

The best example I can give you is that the best knife in the world - can cut everything - but it cannot cut itself. 

So in time, after several awakenings (and after suffering a lot of pain and loss), it became natural to me to perceive my true self instead of a person as the base, the soil that gives birth to anything else that I can see. 

I can compare this state with having a child - even if he/she is dumb or ugly (LOL).. it is still yours and you could never hate or judge or get offended by it.. 

:)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

16 minutes ago, Ayla said:

hahahahaa that's so funny !!! 

:x

hahahah "how to be a comedian" more like

Mentors are huge. You have to pay some of them to be in their presence because time is money. The best mentors in the world charge. You aren't going to get an audience with Tony Robbins or Oprah without some bookoo bucks.

I agree partially with what some people are saying in terms of finding mentors online but nothing (and I mean nothing) is nearly as powerful as meeting them in real life and learning. You are the sum of the five people you hang out with most. By surrounding yourself with powerful, successful, and educational mentors not only do you learn from them but you learn their mannerisms.

You see with your own two eyes what exactly makes them so polarizing.

Tai Lopez talks specifically about the law of 33%. You spend 33% of your time with adepts (people who need help from you), 33% of your time with peers (people on your level), and 33% of your time with mentors (people above your level.)

To be around the best don't expect anything to come free. Nothing in life is free.

Some mentors just spending 1 hour with you could be equivalent to them making ($5000.) Thus why a lot of them charge.

As to finding them. Either pay them to learn from them or offer some form of value that can help them (internship for example.)

Keep asking, keep asking, and keep asking.

As many people on this thread, I too think that having a mentor is very wise. Not having a mentor is like wandering in woods all by yourself without a map and then someone coming a long and offering you a map, then refusing to use it cause "I wanna do it on my own". Of course you CAN, but it will be so much more painful and takes so much longer. We all end up in the same place anyway, so why not take a short cut (if and when you can) and actually enjoy the ride - at least a little bit more. :D 

Gurus and teachers have played a huge role in my development and even though I know they are just a projection of my mind in a sense, it does not mean I cannot benefit from them. To me it has been very important to stay very open-minded and use many teachers with many perspectives. I know not a lot of people will enjoy that way, but I do. I think it is important not to get hooked on any one teacher and realize that as you progress, so do your teachers. It is such a wonderful journey :) 

And for finding them: They find you. :) So do not worry.