Psyche_92

Buddhist monastery vs psychic rehabiliation center

9 posts in this topic

Hello..

After a year+  of therapy my therapist advised me to go and join a psychic rehabilitation center to get intense psychotherapy for some months (to work on my fears and other blockages). She thinks my past traumas and events will take too long to go through in "normal" therapy for me to get better.

I'm very skeptical about this, especially since during that time i won't be able to work, and i'm only just about a month into my new job. I'm also not sure if a place like that is actually something that i need, and even if i would do something like that, i'd rather join a Buddhist monastery to do some serious inner work myself.

What do you guys think?

Nobody can tell you whats best for you. We don't know your psychic condition. Do you take medications?

I just know that when you wanna join e.g. a Vipassana Retreat they warn you that you should not attend if you have psychic instabilities because the method and the teachers are not intended to cure your illness. In contrast attending can bring you even into a worse constitution.

What about some loose kind of rehab? Could be the middle path.

What's the difference between a duck?

25 minutes ago, Mirror of Confusion said:

Do you take medications?

No.

25 minutes ago, Mirror of Confusion said:

What about some loose kind of rehab?

What exactly do you mean with a "loose rehab"?

On 4.8.2018 at 6:46 PM, Psyche_92 said:

Hello..

After a year+  of therapy my therapist advised me to go and join a psychic rehabilitation center to get intense psychotherapy for some months (to work on my fears and other blockages). She thinks my past traumas and events will take too long to go through in "normal" therapy for me to get better.

I'm very skeptical about this, especially since during that time i won't be able to work, and i'm only just about a month into my new job. I'm also not sure if a place like that is actually something that i need, and even if i would do something like that, i'd rather join a Buddhist monastery to do some serious inner work myself.

What do you guys think?

I would really consider going into the center. Not every psychological issue is easily fixed by meditation. Western psychology has its used and validity even if super spiritual people often denounce that.

After two years of therapy i didn't get the result that i expected. So, after a lot of reading I decided to drink ayahuasca. Didn't regret it :D

Note: one has to be careful coz there are restrictions in drinking ayahuasca while having certain psychiatric problems, being on SSRIs etc. 

Edited by Kensho

On 6. 8. 2018 at 4:53 PM, Shroomdoctor said:

I would really consider going into the center. Not every psychological issue is easily fixed by meditation. Western psychology has its used and validity even if super spiritual people often denounce that.

I tend to agree. I did an intense therapy program for 7 weeks. It wasn't lifechangeing, but I did get better and I do sometimes get back to the experience in my thoughts and draw some strength from it. Group therapy was interesting, art therapy was particularly helpful (surprisingly), and we were taught relaxation too. 

Vipassana can be too much. Do what you can do in western ways, when you get basically healthy, you can go buddhist. 

The best results I got for myself were from westernized joga/tantra and now holotropic breathwork. But I know I wouldn't be able to do the breathwork without taking conventional therapy prior. So to me, therapy is a good baseline that you can supplement with more intense self-help methods, if able, if needed. 

Work can wait. Once in life take the opportunity to take therapy. 

Check out the centre you're being referred too. What therapy do they offer? Go there for an initial session - tell them you're having difficulty to decide. They will talk to you about your motivation to take the program. It's helpful. 

@Psyche_92 I don't know what your exact position is like, but I know that if I had to pick I'd probably pick Buddhist monastery cuz yolo. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

20 hours ago, lmfao said:

@Psyche_92 I don't know what your exact position is like, but I know that if I had to pick I'd probably pick Buddhist monastery cuz yolo. 

100% agreed

unborn Truth

Do you have a mental illness diagnosis?

If you're getting psychotic, it's not a good idea to go to the monastery.