martins name

How do I get started with hatha yoga?

21 posts in this topic

I'm sold on the concept of hatha yoga. I want to get a physical exercise while becoming more conscious, clearing out energy blocks, etc. But how do I get started?

When I search for hatha yoga on YouTube I get lots of results. I've heard that yoga has been corrupted by the west. Is that true for hatha yoga? And if so where is the legit stuff?

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Have you watched Leo's video on Kriya yoga? It's not very physical, but other than that, it sounds like what you're saying that you want. The yoga you'll find at the YMCA is the bastardized hatha yoga. 

21 minutes ago, PsiloPutty said:

Have you watched Leo's video on Kriya yoga?

Yes and I have been practicing it for 4 months. I'm more looking for a substitute for going to the gym.

Most 'real' hatha is secret and given under the instruction of a guru. I belive hatha is the hardest to find techniques for without joining an organisation.

Sadhguru has a greats courses on Hatha. Maybe try the free Upa Yoga and Isha Kriya first to see if you resonate with the teacher. 

Baba Ram Dev has DVD courses and books on Hatha, he seems legit so you could consider his course.

Go to Yelp and search for a yoga studio near you.

Or try Sadhguru's hatha.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@martins name search Yoga studios near you. If your looking into getting into yoga for the physical aspects like you mentioned I'd search ashtanga Yoga as it's quicker paced, ashtanga don't tend to hold postures like Hatha.

@Leo Gura I can only find one video of sadhgurus yoga, which is the one on upa yoga. Are there more I haven't found?

There are no isha foundation events near me but I'll defiantly go to some other yoga classes. Good way to become more green.

@Charlotte I'll do that thank you! What a coincidence, I talked with my uncle about ashtanga last time I saw him.

@martins name You cannot learn Sadhguru's yoga through videos.

A serious student will travel to learn from the best.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you're interested in Sadhguru's hatha yoga I recommend you start with Sadhguru's Angamardana, this practice is more oriented toward physical well being, health, power and a little less toward spirituality but it is very powerful, your body will evolve very fast and it will prepare you for more spiritualy leaned hatha yoga, I can vouch for it. After 6+ months of daily practice you can switch to Surya Kryia or Yogasanas. You should be able to find a course near you depending on where you live by finding an independant Isha yoga teacher, there is a repository of them if you search on google. Of course you can also stack the practices, each of them can last up to 60+ minutes. In the meantime you can learn Upa Yoga by yourself it's good too especially Yoga Namaskar which is quite spiritual. I also do the neck practice from Upa yoga despite me having other hatha yoga practices, that way I don't have to go to a chiropractor for neck adjustement.

@Tetcher thanks for the answer. Angamardana seems like what I'm looking for. hopefully I'll find a teacher nearby.

What makes different yoga types more or less spiritual?

Is it important to do it everyday or is it ok to do it just around 3 times a week?

@Prabhaker ah thanks! forgot about that thread. I did the osho kundalini meditation. oh man is it liberating, I'm a little bit like a child again.

I did this one to

and I'm sticking to it for a while as it gives a good workout. I might add some stuff from upa yoga to it as well.

isnt there any online course or something to learn Hatha Yoga the right way?

I'm joining a yoga studio near my place but the yoga they do there is very superficial. However, I think even a superficial approach can be a good introduction. My goal would be to travel to Sadhguru and learn yoga from him.

@luismatos there is nothing wrong with mainstream yoga. It just depends on what your goals are. If you have never meditated and feel stressed then mainstream yoga will help with that.

Hey, you totally remind me of my beginning days when I was beating the bushes to find the answer to this exact question. According to me, Hatha yoga is great for beginners. It is easy to practice and improves strength, flexibility, and balance. It also reduces stress and provides many therapeutic benefits as well.  And yes, yoga has been corrupted to the core and commercialization of yoga should be blamed for it. But there are lots of yoga schools in India that are genuinely helping aspiring yoga students learn yoga best practices.

Talk about myself, when I practiced hatha yoga for the first time, I did it at home with the help of online videos I found on YouTube. But after a couple of weeks, I realized that I was unable to perform some alignments due to the lack of proper guidance or mentorship. Then, the idea of professional hatha yoga training struck me and I started researching Hatha yoga training courses in Rishikesh, India (I choose the place 'cause it's a hub of yoga teacher training for foreigners) and ended up joining 200 hr TTC based on Hatha yoga principles at Ekattva Yogshala in Rishikesh to get expertise in Hatha yoga. I learned so many alignments there which are the key poses of Hatha yoga. You won't be able to learn these at home. It's been a year now and I can perform each and every yoga pose with an absolute ease.

If you want to get expertise in your practice then a perfect Hatha yoga teacher training course is all you need. What do you think?