doucey24

YouTuber makes video about Ego Death

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

A fairly well-known YouTube psychedelic/spirituality channel called Your Mate Tom made an interesting video on ego death a week or so ago.

He is an experienced ex-psychonaut and has had some pretty intense/deep trips and insights as a result. 

What do you guys think of his understanding of the ego and ego death?

Well personally I resonate with what he's saying. I never liked the term ego death tbh.

You don’t have to die to experience ”real” ego death. You just have to go to sleep.

I like his explanation on spiritual ego.

But then he just rambles and what he is talking about had nothing to do with enlightenment. Enlightenment doesn’t deny ego. Enlightenment is more a set of beliefs that falls away which makes the attitude to life allowing.

@Outer Please do link any interesting sources if you have. From what I've read so far our understanding of the brain and the tools we have to measure it are still very limited - which in turn affects the validity of any conclusions drawn. 

In my humble opinion, it would be great if a huge number of people could at least minimize their Ego so we can have less suffering in the world (note, that I didn't say any, but less!!! would be good)! And yes, I know, in the end, it doesn't matter AT ALL if we manage or not. 

Edited by Zweistein

@Outer Quite interesting.. but sadly nothing I wasn't already familiar with..  simply covers activity levels of certain networks and in relation to self inquiry and mediation.. I just wish there was more substantial focus and funded studies in this area (which granted has grown a lot last couple of years) but nothing I've read in a while has given me any sort of real aha moments

That was a good video to watch while tripping.   Haha, thanks.

@doucey24 Makes a lot of sense, the physical must be balanced with the spiritual. Taking a hit of ayahuasca without meditating or self-inquiring will be like the video said, just a very strong and profound experience that one wouldn't really benefit. Makes me wonder a lot, actualized.org itself only isn't the best resource. The hermetic principles, and many other resources are out there. 

I found this video from him:

I really like it, I hate Leo in his video when he acts like some egotistical person, this is because I am egotistical. ( I think he does this to appeal to his viewers or connect with them somehow)

Edited by Neptune2020

17 hours ago, Neptune2020 said:

@doucey24 Makes a lot of sense, the physical must be balanced with the spiritual. Taking a hit of ayahuasca without meditating or self-inquiring will be like the video said, just a very strong and profound experience that one wouldn't really benefit. Makes me wonder a lot, actualized.org itself only isn't the best resource. The hermetic principles, and many other resources are out there. 

I found this video from him:

I really like it, I hate Leo in his video when he acts like some egotistical person, this is because I am egotistical. ( I think he does this to appeal to his viewers or connect with them somehow)

I mean, you can't really talk about being God without coming across a little egotistical but it only appears that way to the ego

I dont see anything wrong with the video but it's basically his "opinion" masked as "facts".

It's just your classical: "YOLO, live your life the way it is, and dont worry about ego death or spirituality."

He said accidental ego deaths dont happen...? heh, Eckhart Tolle had an accidental ego death through severe depression. Sadhguru had an accidental ego death just gazing on top of a hill, sadhguru said he was never into spirituality.

To me ego death doesn't mean you never experience ego ever again which is a stupid statement.

To me ego death means:

You are the emptiness before you are the ego.

Which is obviously plainfully true, because the ego comes and goes, the mind isn't always 100% there or "on", the emptiness however is 100% always there even when you are in deep sleep.

Edited by blazed