tentacion

God question

10 posts in this topic

So I have been reading the Vedanta for a couple of days which proclaims that you are God or Brahman. I'm wondering, what does this actually mean? Does God exist seperate from us or is God us? If he is us, how did he become us? How can I be God? I have also heard Leo saying the same thing, and other people as well. But I can't seem to fully understand it.

Lets say God is the Ocean in this scenario.

You (in this case) are just a drop of water in the ocean(god) but ultimately one and the same/of the same source as the drop is the very essence of the whole ocean itself. You become god incarnate within the drop that you are when you truly grasp you are the ocean as a whole in itself. Understanding it will not be possible until you directly experience it and it is more of an Innerstanding than Understanding.

B R E A T H E

10 minutes ago, tentacion said:

you are God or Brahman

It makes us feel great. It can be a joke. 

or may be we have completely forgotten that we are God. We need a deep look inside !

@tentacion You should practice self inquiry and you will experience for yourself what is being pointed to. 

source: cook-greuter.com 

Think of it like this:

Last night you had a dream. Let's say you are a man who is named Charles. In your dream you are sitting at a cafe, drinking coffee with a woman named Michelle. Now, in our current understanding of dreams, Michelle seems like a completely separate entity, but in fact, she is you. You are Michelle, and Charles. And the chairs you are sitting in, and the coffee and so forth. It's your dream, and literally everything that is contained within is essentially you, made up of your "dream particles".

So lets scale back, and consider when you are awake. It is essentially the same. This is God's dream. You are nothing but a dream character in God's dream, like Michelle was in yours. Everything in this dream is made up of God. You, your clothes, your bed you sleep in, your computer you used to post this question. It is all made up of God. We'll call them "God particles". In this way, lots of things seem like separate entities, but that is only because of lack of understanding. It is ALL the same. God is not some old man in the sky with a white beard. He (it) is here, and there, and everywhere. You don't become God because there is nothing more to become. You can only broaden your understanding. 

By the way, Michelle in your dream thinks she is a separate individual, which really fascinates me. If you were to ask her, she would tell you this. She would be offended if you were to suggest that she was not real, and that you made her up. Trust me, I have experience with this, and also lots of people report the same in dreaming forums and books that are written about dreaming. Its really interesting stuff. 

Edited by the_end_of_me

God is God. God is you. God is all of us. God is like the ocean and each one of us a single drop. Each drop is the same as the ocean because they are all water. There is no difference between them. This needs meditation to be known by you experientially. 

13 hours ago, tentacion said:

So I have been reading the Vedanta for a couple of days which proclaims that you are God or Brahman.

According to Vedanta-

Your true nature is awareness, also called Brahman.

Isvara/God is an "appearance" within awareness (Brahman), do to the power of Maya, the veil that covers our true nature.

The "apparent" person, you appear to be , is an "aspect" (or part) of Isvara/God, which is the field of phenomenal existence.

So, the person is a part of God, God is an appearance in awareness and awareness is your "true nature".

This is an extremely simplified version. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Brahman is Atman :) 

Nice description. I would like to add that “Atman” or our soul expresses itself first in our heart, goes up to the head, then down the spine into the Earth. 

When you focus on the heart, you realize Atman is Brahman. Or you can be the eternal awareness and realize Brahman that way?

Lots and lots of love sent to you. 

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

10 minutes ago, Solace said:

@Anna1 Brahman is Atman :) 

Yes, it is. I typically just use Brahman or awareness. Most don't understand Atman anyway, so why complicate.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

12 hours ago, Solace said:

Nice description. I would like to add that “Atman” or our soul expresses itself first in our heart, goes up to the head, then down the spine into the Earth. 

When you focus on the heart, you realize Atman is Brahman. Or you can be the eternal awareness and realize Brahman that way?

Lots and lots of love sent to you. 

Ty, I see you've added to your post!

Atman can be said to be the soul, by some people, but its more accurate to say that the soul or inner body, is  the "subtle body" in Vedanta. (There are 3 universal bodies- subtle, gross and causal). 

Anyway, Atman is "exactly" the same as Brahman (both are pure awareness) and attributeless. Its just that Atman is said to be that "portion" of Brahman, that's within/permeates/illumines the individual person, at any given time.

Remember Brahman/Atman is pure awareness and the "apparent" person, you appear to be (including the subtle body), is "reflected" awareness.

What you seem to be referring to in your post has attributes (ie, expresses itself- in heart/head/spine), therefore can not be Atman, more likely the Subtle body, which does have attributes.

Nameste ♡

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?