Pernani

Why bother with theory ?

59 posts in this topic

Is theory important at all for this work ? What role does it serve other than acquiring beliefs that have no basis in your own personal experience ? What's the point ? Shouldn't one just focus all his time on the actual practices rather than reading books and watching videos ?

other than maybe refining your own practice and knowing what the practice looks like with all its traps I don't see why one would bother with nondual theory 

should be like 1 part theory 20 parts practice at minimum.

Practice is way more important, but only once you know how to practice.

With no theory you would have to reinvent everything, you would have to reinvent the wheel, the reason why we can build so many wonderful things today in the real world is because we can skip on all the things other people have discovered before.

A guru/teacher is good so you dont need to reinvent the wheel, they basically tell you which direction you should go to the find the dragon and treasure, they tell you what you should bring, what you should avoid, etc etc,

Of course none of that matters if all you do is go back home never start the journey.

Or if you keep running back to the guru every time you set out for the journey for more questions lol.

What most people do is they ask the guru all the questions, they set out, at the first pebble they run back and ask the guru more questions, questions of doubt, disbelief, too much effort, quick fix, miracle pill, etc etc.

Any guru whacking a disciple with a stick is probably justified lol.

Edited by blazed

That's totally true. I agree about learning theory for beginners but advanced level nonduality theory is just pure mental fapping. "Oh everything is god, all is one and I'm The infinite intelegence". Yes it's all true on intelectual level. But really, it's of no significence to anybody :D

Theory’s have there place in practical matters. But theory (abstraction) has no place psychologically that determines how one perceives and acts in daily life. 

Especially in relationship.

Edited by Faceless

45 minutes ago, Pernani said:

Is theory important at all for this work

What work are you referring to? 

1 hour ago, blazed said:

should be like 1 part theory 20 parts practice at minimum.

Practice is way more important, but only once you know how to practice.

With no theory you would have to reinvent everything, you would have to reinvent the wheel, the reason why we can build so many wonderful things today in the real world is because we can skip on all the things other people have discovered before.

A guru/teacher is good so you dont need to reinvent the wheel, they basically tell you which direction you should go to the find the dragon and treasure, they tell you what you should bring, what you should avoid, etc etc,

Of course none of that matters if all you do is go back home never start the journey.

Or if you keep running back to the guru every time you set out for the journey for more questions lol.

What most people do is they ask the guru all the questions, they set out, at the first pebble they run back and ask the guru more questions, questions of doubt, disbelief, too much effort, quick fix, miracle pill, etc etc.

Any guru whacking a disciple with a stick is probably justified lol.

So basically learn the theory behind the practice and go discover the juicy insights for yourslef, should one even bother spending time reading up other people's insights and beliefs about the Truth? There is a myriad of them and they don't seem to agree anyway

40 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

That's totally true. I agree about learning theory for beginners but advanced level nonduality theory is just pure mental fapping. "Oh everything is god, all is one and I'm The infinite intelegence". Yes it's all true on intelectual level. But really, it's of no significence to anybody :D

That's exactly what I'm talking about

29 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Spiritual enlightenment basically

14 minutes ago, Pernani said:
46 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Spiritual enlightenment basically

Ah yes. Theory/abstraction will never lead to embodiment. Whole action/non-action. 

Edited by Faceless

@Pernani You might as well ask that question of any profession, like being a doctor.

Why do doctors bother with theory?

If you were sick, would you go to a doctor who never bothered with theory?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@Pernani You might as well ask that question of any profession, like being a doctor.

Why do doctors bother with theory?

If you were sick, would you go to a doctor who never bothered with theory?

Well I think theory is great for technical skills like being a good doctor and also very useful to refine your practices and techniques such as meditation and yoga, but I'm not sure it's of any use to fill your head with abstract spiritual theories like the nature of truth and consciousness and such... won't that get in the way of actually embodying truth ?

9 minutes ago, Pernani said:

won't that get in the way of actually embodying truth ?

Depends on how you use it.

All theory comes with the danger of misuse and mental masturbation.

Most of my videos are meant to be INSPIRATIONAL. Not technical how-to's. You get inspired by the theory, which then makes you want to work hard to actualize it.

2 minutes ago, Ether said:

Facts » theory.

There can be no distinction between facts and theory. The two are epistemically entangled.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There can be no distinction between facts and theory. The two are epistemically entangled.

Facts » I have 2 hands.

Theory » It is "true" that these hands were made by God.

Came on. Leo. I dont have the age or experience that you have and I know more common sense? Dont overlook common sense.

So, facts are always true because they can be backed up, theory is just an idea. People had no idea what to interpret with and they created a imaginary idea, aka theory.

27 minutes ago, Ether said:

Facts » I have 2 hands.

Came on. Leo. I dont have the age or experience that you have and I know more common sense? Dont overlook common sense.

So, facts are always true because they can be backed up, theory is just an idea. People had no idea what to interpret with and they created a imaginary idea, aka theory.

You actually didn't show any distinction between fact and theory with your example lol.

is similar to: Theory » It is "true" that these hands were made by creation itself.

is similar to: Theory » It is "true" that these hands exist within existence.

Is similar to: I have 2 hands, they exist.

Just now, Ether said:

@blazed You are confusing things.

Sorry if i misunderstood, please explain.

It is amazing to me how much people misunderstand theory.  It carves out a whole niche for me to try to help remedy, so I really shouldn’t be complaining.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 minute ago, blazed said:

Sorry if i misunderstood, please explain.

I have two hands - You can see it with your eyes, they are true and factual. A fact is something you can sense with your 5 senses.

These hands were made by God - Theory, why? Well, there is no evidence they were made by God, there is not even evidence God exists!

4 minutes ago, Ether said:

I have two hands - You can see it with your eyes, they are true and factual. A fact is something you can sense with your 5 senses.

These hands were made by God - Theory, why? Well, there is no evidence they were made by God, there is not even evidence God exists!

Depends because it seems you labelled God as a man in the sky with a beard, at that point, its not really a theory, just a belief.

When you said God I assumed existence, which is a fact for me, i see it with my 5 senses and being.

belief

bɪˈliːf/

noun

noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs

an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

"his belief in extraterrestrial life"

Edited by blazed

1 minute ago, blazed said:

Depends because it seems you labelled God as a man in the sky with a beard, at that point, its not really a theory, just a belief.

When you said God I assumed existence, which is a fact for me, i see it with my 5 senses and being.

Humans - us.

God - imaginary.

We are not godsl lol