MarkusSweden

A loaded gun is pointing at your head - Any fear?

12 posts in this topic

Or imagine you're sitting in an airplane about to crash, facing a certain death! 

Or maybe some other event with deadly outcome for 'you'. 

Let's say there is no pain involved in any scenario, just an instant death with guarantee. 

Would 'you' be afraid, would fear come up? 

Or could 'you' face any of these situations that brings physical death to 'your' body-mind with perfectly ease and no fear what so ever? 

After all, you're not your body-mind.  

How enlightened is it possible to be? 

Edited by MarkusSweden

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

Fear of death goes much deeper then fear of pain. 

The fear comes in thinking about the knower with all it is accumulated attatchments coming to an end. 

But to encounter such a situation as you described, it’s an intelligent movement of the thinker to be afraid. 

Doesn’t mean we can’t respond to that situation. I would. Thought/ego ‘technique’ is what these moments are for. 

Thats what the thought the thinker is for. To navigate the environmental challenges. 

If a truck is heading towards me I move out of the way. Intelligent action. I don’t wait there and ask should I move. 

We are talking about the fear that thought creates psychologically. 

Edited by Faceless

I'm not sure if you would feel the fear or not, but when you are at the point where someone could shoot a gun by your ear and you don't flinch, or where you can set yourself on fire to death without screaming, it probably wouldn't be relevant.

I’ll express it in precise and well chosen terms.

I’d crap my pants and run like hell.

Enlightenment doesn’t mean the end of suffering, and even with years of meditation under my belt, I’m still far away from enlightenment. I’d still feel fear, and even in what seems like enlightenment experiences, I can still feel a lot of fear.

Fear is a biological response to danger. Without it, we’d get into all kinds of reckless decisions and die sooner. What I worry about with enlightenment is unnecessary fear — where there is only an imagined danger, or a danger you can’t do anything about to run away from.

Hey, bud, all this self inquiry makes it easier for me to accept the idea of dying someday, but it sure doesn’t mean I’d be ready to die.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

11 hours ago, MarkusSweden said:

Or imagine you're sitting in an airplane about to crash, facing a certain death! 

Let's say there is no pain involved in any scenario, just an instant death with guarantee. 

Or could 'you' face any of these situations that brings physical death to 'your' body-mind with perfectly ease and no fear what so ever? 

I don't have to imagine. I live in London.  One day I was in the park and one black guy started chasing me with a knife.

What I did is I started running faster than ever before. I ran so fast my ego activated and i was like "Yeah come catch me bro" 

Oh yeah :D

🌟

🌟  The  🌟 Logos 🌟

🌟

On 2018-06-09 at 10:10 AM, Dodo said:

I don't have to imagine. I live in London.  One day I was in the park and one black guy started chasing me with a knife.

What I did is I started running faster than ever before. I ran so fast my ego activated and i was like "Yeah come catch me bro" 

Oh yeah :D

Nice little anecdote! :) 

Your posts are always 'alive' in some sense, it's uplifting to read even if it's a scary story. 

"Yeah come catch me bro" = great attitude. Love it! No judgement! :D

Edited by MarkusSweden

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

11 hours ago, MarkusSweden said:

Fear comes out because you want to survive.. you want to live because for you unconsciously when you die, you will become nothing ..

we all fear of nothinesssssssssssssssss..

no matter how hard you say that we are not body mind.. in this level body mind is a true it feels like truth... :D that if you point a gun to me... nooo please i want to preserve this body and mind :( this my lifeeeee , i will become nothing.. no pleaseeee!! 

Enlightenment comes if you want to have it.. and willing to die someday.. and starts to slice away yourself until such time there is no self anymore....

Fear would probably come up, as I am a normal human being. However as I have contemplated death a lot and made myself ready for it, it would probably subside. I think I would be slightly exicted as to what comes next, my last words would probably be; reality, show me what you can do.

I had an experience 11 years ago. 

While flying across Europe, the Pilot made an announcement: "Caution we have a failure of one 1 engine, do not panic, safety measures etc".

Seen my entire life as a fluke. I let go, started praying to God with a colleague. We were waiting to crash and die, literally. At the same time, an eternal peace has settled in. I simply on all that plane shaking I started to sleep as I would not care for my life anymore. Reality changed completely for me from that event. 

14 minutes ago, Quanty said:

While flying across Europe, the Pilot made an announcement: "Caution we have a failure of one 1 engine, do not panic, safety measures etc".

Seen my entire life as a fluke. I let go, started praying to God with a colleague. We were waiting to crash and die, literally. At the same time, an eternal peace has settled in. I simply on all that plane shaking I started to sleep as I would not care for my life anymore. Reality changed completely for me from that event. 

Very interesting! 

Thanks for sharing! 

This thread was meant for this answer I feel. 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

2 hours ago, Quanty said:

Interesting. It reminds me of a time of my life before.

I was a bad place in my life, and wanted to end my own existence. But something about the idea of really doing it caused a deep calmness in me. That something about trying to choke myself to death made me see how l wasn’t afraid of death anymore. In life, I was so afraid of everything, but to admit that I’m fine with my own self dying, it was a sign of growing courage.

I stopped trying to harm myself, and went on with my own life.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates