Star Net

Ramadan Topic

12 posts in this topic

I am not religious ,

Ramadan start today

What do You know about it ?

Advantages, Disadvantages, anything You want to say ...

@Empty  You are kidding right ? because there is not such a thing in islam ... hahahaha

If you do fasting for the sake of God because God commanded so in his final word (and not for your health/well-being/enlightenment) then it will purify your soul, and make you closer to God (not make you God because no one can become God, God transcends being according to monotheism)

In ramadan , muslims fast water and food from sun rise to sun set demanding the order of their god "allah" !

“Fasting is the first principle of medicine; fast and see the strength of the spirit reveal itself.”

― Rumi

For those who haven't fast anytime in lifetime, I really suggest this. You become very aware of how harm you are doing to your body by eating junk food.

I think it is a very powerful opportunity to transform one's life through this month long retreat type event. Think about it how much growth is possible if you take full responsibility and make a commitment to turn out to be a transformed human being after a month.

Fasting, healthy diet, building discipline, staying focused all day and not giving in to any form of hedonistic distractions, powerful prayers and surrender multiple times a day, contemplating death, practicing compassion, helping the poor etc. You are doing these things every moment of your day for 30 days straight. Sounds like a consciousness leap to me.

And the best part is you can be supported and do these things collectively with others if you have a religious family. No one is gonna judge or isolate you out.

But the irony is, the devil spoils the best tools most effectively first. How much this tradition now has degraded with dogmas and misunderstanding. In my country (Bangladesh, a heavily muslim populated country) Ramadan is like the most profitable business month. People's hedonistic consumption and close-mindedness increases at least 4-5 times than other usual months. If only people could comprehend the divinity and opportunity of this month. For me, I feel like this month can be the death of one's petty little self and rebirth as a integrated full human being

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Ramadan is only good if you don't believe in a external God. Otherwise it will consolidate more the belief. 

On 2018-05-16 at 11:08 PM, Star Net said:

I am not religious ,

Ramadan start today

What do You know about it ?

Advantages, Disadvantages, anything You want to say ...

I know that people will stop functioning about eleven o´clock, bad breath and sluggishness all day. Bingeeating between 21:30 to 02:00. A month of this. Althou the kids, ill, old and pregnant may be somewhat excluded...I expect to call the ambulance for some pregnant young girl hitting the floor thinking she is dying.

After that a big party with lots of food and smiles.

It is pointless to determine any plus and minus on a situation that will not change.

A reflection can be made...people themselves determine what shape their life will take. Very litle is actually inflicted upon them by outside force.

Most prisoners hold the key in their hand.

I never did a full month, but I fasted maybe just couple of times.

Individually, that's a very interesting experience: when you stop eating and drinking for one whole day, also with a purpose to keep your mind away from your regular thought processes and from mundane desires; it shocks you by showing you your daily inherent habits are like. When you know that whole day long you won't eat and drink and will behave yourself, that's a very different start for a day; all of a sudden you have this huge time gap, you don't even know what you gotta do with yourself; generally either you strongly distract yourself with anything or it naturally gets you in contemplating. I remember I was so suprised realising that how much time and energy I spent in a day by just simply thinking what I am gonna eat in the next meal; you wouldn't think that you are spending that much effort in such a simple easy matter:) but you really do:)

In social aspect, almost whole society, (or reasonable amount of people) start to shift the way they live their daily basis as a collective, like waking up around 4 am; so it really shakes society's habits too. So that there is a little bit if a room to experience and perceive the life differently.

even i didn't fast i always loved to wake up that awkward hour with everyone, normally i sleep heavily, i cannot wake up just like that but knowing most of the people getting awake that time it is kind of makes everyone happy; doing such an out of norm thing all together..

In social level it really builds up the compassion and giving thoughts for others ( because it's kind of what's expected ) but it lightens the egos a bit.

And at the end of the month the feast and the holidays are generally very joyous, like the Christmas essence. So ramadan has very similar sensations to Holiday Season here.