Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Violina

Peter Ralston’s books

5 posts in this topic

Welcome everyone here. 

I wonder purchasing one of the Peter Ralston’s book but I’m not sure for 100% and don’t want to be disappointed. 

Before, I read a lot of positive reviews about Ram Dass book which disappointed me, because I have already known everything what he said. 

I’ve always interested in meditation, mindfulness, Huna (because it says about subconscious, conscious and superconscious mind), conscious breathing  etc. I try to improve my focus to remember about this stuff. 

I need some book who could inspire me and guide. Or... I don’t need any...   

Posted (edited)

I just read his trilogy. In my opinion, it is not an easy read, and even less easy if you consider that he wants you (the reader) to get experientially what he is talking about, and not just intellectually.

I found them useful, and very fascinating, because they show some radical possibilities within consciousness work.

Also I would read them with a very critical eye. He doesn't want you to believe in him, he encourages you to realize the truth for yourself, which is good. But it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the best way to enlightenment and transformation is his way. Of course he doesn't call it "my way", he just encourages you to get to the truth by dropping every belief and deeply inquiring into the nature of reality (or self, or perception, or emotion...). But still that is a very particular way to go about it.

For instance, I was recently re-reading "The integral yoga", of Sri Aurobindo, and his way requires you to believe, to have faith, to surrender to the descent of Consciousness from above, and much more. I think it would be ridicule to say that Sri Aurobindo was not enlightened and not radically transformed and purified. He was. But you can see that his way is very different from that of Ralston.

Different ways are appropriate for different people at different times.

I'm now following a Christian path. And my practice culminates in prayer, for the Holy Spirit to descend (much like Sri Aurobindo suggests). Also I appreciate Christianity for the importance it gives to action oriented mysticism. I would say that it is easier to fall into social inaction following Ralston's way.

So, of course this is my opinion. I hope it is useful.

Edited by Stefano Provenzi

"My" most effective way to personal development:

The Tao of Body Awareness

You may feel a few times like you have already seen what you are reading, because Leo's videos about Enlightenment are partially inspired by Ralston's work.

Nevertheless, it's worth it to read and try it out.

I can follow almost everything he said in first book, until the last 3 Chapters is when it gets difficult, and I'm still working through them.

I think just those 3 chapters are worth the price of the book.