DMM710

Could affirmations be a way to reinforce the ego?

9 posts in this topic

If the ultimate goal is to reach enlightenment, wouldn’t pounding an “I” statement of any kind into your head be counter productive? I’m kinda working meditation,understanding my thoughts and emotions, my diet and other stuff like that before I really get into self inquiry. An idea I’ve been playing with is using self affirmations, something like “I’m independent of the good or bad opinions of others” or “I love and accept every part of myself” but idk.. when I start trying to elimate that “I” wouldn’t “I” statements be harmful? Or if I actually do start to love myself, I’ll be more resistant to letting go of it. Maybe I could just say phrases that aren’t personalized? What do you guys think? If I decide to do affirmations I gotta be sure, cuz I plan on doing like an hour or more a day and drilling that shit in my head.

Edited by DMM710
Typo

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Ultimately, "i" statements might not be resourceful to you.  But you are not "there".  You are here.  Are they resourceful to you now?

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

Is an hour of affirmations (regardless of what you say) the best use of your disciplined time? Perhaps it is, I just think it's worth asking. 

nothing is anything

@DMM710

No, its not counter productive, Affirmations create space for you to step into your authentic self. Recognize that these "I" statements are just exactly that, just thoughts.

When or if you experience harm notice that it's your dependency on these thoughts that is the thing that is actually causing the suffering. If you are aware of this it won't cause harm or at least reduce it a lot. 

Think of doing affirmations as a proccess used to remind your subconscious of what you already are, not as some new identity that you aren't.

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

On 4/12/2018 at 9:36 PM, DMM710 said:

pounding an “I” statement

kinda working meditation

before I really get into self inquiry

An idea I’ve been playing wit

if I actually do start to love myself

drilling that shit in my head.

Sit down and love yourself. (Actually)

You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. -Buddha
❤️

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Enlightenment is not about destroying your "I", it's about realizing what is conscious of that "I" and that "I" is just a temporary distinction for communicative purposes.

I’ve used affirmations off and on in the past but very rarely use them anymore.  Unless I’m doing some programming, then they can be useful.  I did a little bit of that for my life purpose.  But I no longer believe in the subconscious mind, so that’s another issue.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

You could use affirmations to escape EGO.

Romanian saying: You have to Nail the nail, to get it out.

<3