Rinne

How to Get Up Right Away When Your Alarm Goes Off

29 posts in this topic

@Rinne that's interesting, thank you for sharing.

It's been now almost 6 months that I wake up without alarm clock. I used the alarm just 2 or 3 times in this period but even then I didn't need it to wake up.

I have an accountable partner from the forum that we share our goals together; this sleep cycle and waking up without alarm clock was an important goal for me, but alone I hadn't been making progress about it, then now by the help this partnership  I've been focusing on it much more easily so now it settled so well.

It's a really long way to solve it, but observing what you do, what you want and need then organizing your habits accordingly is a really great way. An accountable partner is so helpful.

For example today, now I'm late to sleep but because I set the habit nicely my body compensates such cases so well now. And I know how much flexibility/play room I have to keep the habit in the right place.

Edited by Sevi

On 28/02/2018 at 2:22 AM, pluto said:

You know you can wake yourself up whenever you want naturally without alarms. I learned this through observation that every time i had to wake up early for something important i would always wake up 1 minute to a few seconds before the alarm went off especially if i slept properly. Your body is of a superior intelligence, trust it and once you see it work it works every time.

On 02/03/2018 at 7:22 AM, Rob06 said:

Works! I am currently quiting and haven't reached that stage yet. But the last time I quit for about 10 day I could get out of bed way easier after about a week of not drinking coffee.

Seem here! :D

Here is a technique that has worked for me in the past. When lying in your bed just before you go to sleep, repeat at what time you are going to wake up the next morning, like an affirmation. Repeat this about 20 times. Example: "I am waking up at 7 a.m. tomorrow. I am waking up at 7 a.m. tomorrow." Et cetera.

i experienced this sometime ago and really works. It's like I just deeply tell my body what time I want to wake up and I look at the clock to see what time it is (don't know if it's really necessary). It seems to be more easy to wake up, and feels more recharging.

Good stuff! I use an app called Alarmy, and you can set it up in a way that it cannot be turned off unless you get yourself up to the bathroom and take a pic of the sink (or any object), by the time you're there you just wash your face with water and wake up

Good guide! You can automise any behaviour like this.

My advice in this area though is to go to bed on time so you wake up earlier than the alarm and can switch it off when you're fully awake. We are not made to wake up from alarms. Alarms are traditionally for communicating danger, and I believe it causes stress on the body.

Update: After doing this habit for a couple months i highly recommend everyone give it a try. Its become effortless to wake up at whatever time i would like to.

The key that makes this habit work is that you train the subconscious to do all the heavy lifting. That resistance of getting up when you dont want to is virtually not there anymore. In this more willpower if freed up to be used towards other more important things. Why waste willpower when you dont have? 

i have the loudest alarm clock i could find. I set it on,the otherside of the room. When it goes off it forces me to jump out of bed, walk across the room and turn it off... then i quickly go back to my bed and fall asleep again....this happens everyday. The only exception is when i have to go to work, where i even find myself waking up before the alarm clock goes off....

Maybe this is a good example of wage slavery.

Edited by Spence94

18 hours ago, Spence94 said:

i have the loudest alarm clock i could find. I set it on,the otherside of the room. When it goes off it forces me to jump out of bed, walk across the room and turn it off... then i quickly go back to my bed and fall asleep again....this happens everyday. The only exception is when i have to go to work, where i even find myself waking up before the alarm clock goes off....

Maybe this is a good example of wage slavery.

Same here:D

On 2/27/2018 at 7:08 AM, Steph1988 said:

Nice i solved this problem by putting my alarm at the other end of the room so i have to walk over that works as well and after couple of days i don't have to do it anymore i just wake up and get up, i cheat my way to self improvement :) 

I did the same thing, works like a charm.