Huz

Drinking And Substance Use

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering that do enlightened people partake in drinking and substance use or is their level of consiouseness in realty so high that they dont feel the need to do it

12 minutes ago, Huz88 said:

I was wondering that do enlightened people partake in drinking and substance use or is their level of consiouseness in realty so high that they dont feel the need to do it

I'd imagine that a person who had this problem and then became enlightened would probably still need to detox if they were physically addicted. But it would likely be easier to quit from an enlightened mindset. I would think that an enlightened person would be far less likely to partake because they accept reality as it is. So, they're far less likely to try something addictive in the first place. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

My take and understanding is part of the path is an opening up of the nervous system.  There is a physiological component to enlightenment (which is why physical yoga postures are one of the eight limbs of yoga).  Anything that causes damage to the nervous system is a no no.

yeah i agree with that, but couldn't they also see it as another facet of reality. So do you think some enlightened people occasionally have a night out where they get smashed without an addiction? I am asking this because thats similar for me at the moment. I enjoy drinking one night in a couple weeks, but have it under control. I just see it as another fun activity and not as an addiction. If one to become enlightened would their mindset change so drastically that they would see it as a mundane experience not living up to reality

My take is enjoy your self and have fun.  I know my journey has lead to more enjoyment  of life and social situations however I have cut back drinking alot.   As your awareness expands I think you will naturally drink less over time so there is no need to force this on yourself.  It will happen naturally in due course for you.

Enlightened person would not get much out of alcohol. It is so low consciousness that drinking would only lower their consciousness and it would not be fun for them. They can do it but it will not be as enjoyable as their everyday awareness so I don't think they would be guided into doing something like that.

17 minutes ago, Huz88 said:

yeah i agree with that, but couldn't they also see it as another facet of reality. So do you think some enlightened people occasionally have a night out where they get smashed without an addiction? I am asking this because thats similar for me at the moment. I enjoy drinking one night in a couple weeks, but have it under control. I just see it as another fun activity and not as an addiction. If one to become enlightened would their mindset change so drastically that they would see it as a mundane experience not living up to reality

I think one aspect of being Awake or Enlightened is to not take yourself so damn seriously. I can't see the harm in having a beer now and again.  Perhaps a glass of wine?  Like anything in the spiritual realm, as long as we don't identify it with who we are, we'll be fine. 

I cannot remember who this was, but an enlightened teacher once took LSD cause his pupil insisted but it did not have any effect on him. I think it is because all these substances are so low consciousness and connected to the sensory elements of the body that when you have fully enlightened, you just do not get lost in the sensory experiences of body or life anymore and that is why it has no effect.

I would say its possible but very unlikely to achieve enlightenment without meditation. During meditation you can experience something called jhana - which is a state where you become fully immersed in meditation. There are different stages of jhana but one of them is is suppose to have a blissful experience that outrivals any substance, orgasm, or euphoric feeling. I don't see why they would want to drink or use unless they were trying to fit in more with the crowd.

When things go wrong in your perspective, remember it's not about you ?

When I had my first major realization the ego really took a hold of me. I was even less conscious than before the realization. I was determined that I had to become something (because unconsciously I knew I didn't exist). I stopped with tobacco and alcohol and started exercising. I ate healthy food. I started my own company. Four months went by and then POP. I was awake. I write POP because it was like popping a big ego balloon. My life just stopped right there.

I stopped exercising (well atleast running and going to the gym), i've started with tobacco again (not smoking, swedish Snus), I take a beer sometimes. Why do I do it? I enjoy it plain and simple.

There are so many beliefs about enlightened people, that just is not true, because all the famous ones are saints! Are all unenlightened people like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Justin Bieber?

Also didn't Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj smoke? Only reason he stopped was because he got cancer.

• Alcohol is shit. It switches of your brain. Why would I ever want that?
  • Weed is okay for sex.
  • LSD is great, I absolutely love using it to gain new insights. What makes it so fun is that it has a learning curve, you need to learn to deal with it just like life. Also the effects are highly random which keep it interesting. The people I have taken LSD with are the ones I value the most. 

I strongly believe in not fighting/resisting your desires. Just go with your gut feel. However it is essential to keep your ultimate goal(for me it's seeking truth, happiness, and love) as your overarching beacon light. If smoking and drinking are indeed hindrances to the goal, I strongly believe your psyche will naturally know to expel them. Otherwise, I think it's fine to indulge in a controlled manner.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by entesupremo

Addictions are developed to cover up core personal wounds. Enlightened persons have transcended those wounds through "losing the persona". So, no personal wound, no addiction. Normally, addictions will just drop off naturally. That being said, there is a lightness of the being that would not partake either or. Addiction to alcohol or against alcohol, has the same energy ;) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Carl Jung wrote in a letter to Bill W. Founder of Alcoholics Anonymous that Alcoholics drink alcohol(spirits) because they have a low level thirst to be at one with their creator (spirit). The oneness is never realized yet the elusive draw is ever present. When an alcoholic could achieve an enlightenment experience of sorts through spiritual growth or practice, along with meditation etc., freedom from alcoholic addiction would happen almost at once. This was further evidenced by the enlightenment experience Bill experienced which resulted in freedom from alcohol with no cravings or desires for the remainder of his life, 40 years or so. This phenomena has occurred many times over in the fellowship he founded. I realize there are those who debate this but it's a good illustration nonetheless. 

I know the question at hand here was about alcohol or substances in general and not addiction however I would venture to guess that someone of enlightened consciousness would not be inclined to alter their state. not saying it never happens, I would just think the inclination isn't there.

Any use of substances which affect awareness are detrimental to the development of it.  Fundamentally, the nature of using substances which alter consciousness is rooted in the conception that there actually is an "out there" which is separate from "in here."  By using substances even recreationally (not that I am chastising....I promise) you are further entrenching yourself in the idea that you are here, in the body, separate from everything else.  

Now, I do find myself open to the idea of using psychedelic's which bring one to question the nature of one's direct experience.....but honestly, if you are already awoken to the fact that there is a misunderstanding with regard to 'what' exactly YOU are, there is no reason to extend your journey to realizing the nature of your True self.     

Hang Zen,

Myke

When I drink a generous amount of clean mountain spring water, I feel a body high all day with no come down, and there is no hangover.

The idea behind that is to maximize one's health, (food, water, exercise), which results in the brain producing and utilizing the chemicals properly, which includes feel goods like seratonin.

On another note, there is Ayahuasca, which is orally taken DMT brew from two plants in the Amazon. DMT is also a naturally occuring chemical in our brains. It is a highly potent hallucinogen, responsible for visions inlcuding NDE, OBE and possibly even dreams & visions of past lives, precognition, and etc. This entheogen is not addictive and has been shown to help addicts quit hard drugs like heroin.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti