Sheeba

Spending time in college which probably doesn't have to do with your LP

12 posts in this topic

So, I'm studying something at a university which probably doesn't have to do with my life purpose, and I don't know what my life purpose is.

But, I'm interested in the matter which I'm studying and I find it interesting. 

Besides university, I'm developing myself and doing a lot of different things in life. 

So, is it a strategic blunder to spend 5 more years at university studying something I study only because of knowledge?

I am having a dilemma because I'm not sure if those 5 years are well spent and if I can afford to spent those 5 years like that. Even intuitively I can't figure that out, do I want to spend 5 years doing that.

@Sheeba

If it's truly something you're interested in studying, then it's no blunder. Sometimes life purpose just looks like curiosity. I spent five years in college and I don't feel it hindered me at all.

@Sheeba 5 years in college is a long ass time, and chances are you come out of it still not knowing what you want your career to be.

Figure out your life purpose ASAP so you don't piss it away.

I would not invest 5 years of the prime of my life into something that wasn't what I was really passionate about and which didn't advance my career.

You need to figure out how you're are going to meld your top passions with putting food on the table. That is your core challenge at your age. If you don't figure it out now, chances are, you never will. It will be MUCH harder after you are in the workforce. You will not have the free time to explore options, develop the right skills, or build a portfolio of work -- you will be working like a mule 8 hours per day.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Ether Quit and be homeless?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Sheeba In my honest opinion everything is happening for a reason. I also had the similar situation like you. I did my bachelors in the career which did not resonate with me much. But with all the negatives and struggles it also made me stronger, more resilient, more adaptive and flexible. So college is not only about the studies. It is also about the life experience and how you deal with the difficulties.

So my suggestion is: If you already paid the money and leaving the university means to loose huge amount of money than it is not worth to leave it. Complete your studies and on the way decide what you really want to do in your life and how your studies may help you in your goals. 

If you did not pay money then just leave it and decide what you really want to do. But again it is very tricky. Because at such a young age you are constantly developing and changing so you may still end up in a "wrong place".  But ultimately there is no wrong place! It's all about you... How will you use that experience. What kind of meaning you will make out of it!

To conclude it is not about what you study mostly. It is more about the life experience you are gaining from it. Every single detail of your life makes you wiser. So don't worry so much and trust yourself!

Edited by egoless

On 12/31/2017 at 10:37 AM, Ether said:

@Leo Gura nah quit ur job and focus on whathever u want to do

Lmao Leo's point is that the bills need to paid somehow.

You think you can just quit your job and put all your focus on whatever you want to do? What's gonna pay the bills then?

"Whatever you want to do" often doesn't pay the bills straight away, and takes a very long time before it does.  

On 2017-12-30 at 11:38 AM, Leo Gura said:

@Sheeba 5 years in college is a long ass time, and chances are you come out of it still not knowing what you want your career to be.

Figure out your life purpose ASAP so you don't piss it away.

I would not invest 5 years of the prime of my life into something that wasn't what I was really passionate about and which didn't advance my career.

You need to figure out how you're are going to meld your top passions with putting food on the table. That is your core challenge at your age. If you don't figure it out now, chances are, you never will. It will be MUCH harder after you are in the workforce. You will not have the free time to explore options, develop the right skills, or build a portfolio of work -- you will be working like a mule 8 hours per day.

This is why I have suicidal thoughts

Why am I doing any of this work if I’m already basically a doomed wage slave? 

What’s the point of me living? 

Even Leo himself has said he would kill himself if he was a wage slave. So, what the hell. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

How deep are you into your university course? I quit 1 year into Mechanical Engineering and went to Psychology cause I knew I would be miserable as an Engineer. I thought deeply about my future and I would probably out myself cause the work would bring me too little joy. If your major doesn't help you to advance in your life purpose, yes , It would be better to quit. And I do have lots of ideas I could implement in this domain of work.

You don't have a life purpose yet? What the hell are you doing then? Find it. You don't have infinite time in the relative domain. Time to start thinking about this.

It being "interesting" isn't enough. It has to be interesting but also have demand and contribute a great deal to society. If you have a novel, ground-breaking idea in your field maybe it'll work. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

That being said, you have to have a backup plan. You can't just outright quit and do nothing all day. Are you going to be an entrepreneur or what? Do you have any practical skills?

I'm just offering some tough love here. Don't take it personally; I've gone through a phase like yours some time ago.

Edited by Espaim

On 19/07/2022 at 7:53 AM, Thought Art said:

Why am I doing any of this work if I’m already basically a doomed wage slave? 

@Thought Art

What makes you think you are already a doomed wage slave?

And even if you were already a doomed wage slave, why would you not do any of this work?