egoless

How To Practice Speech

11 posts in this topic

I always feel that I have valuable wisdom and knowledge to share with the people but sometimes I can't. As an introvert it is hard for me to accept the spotlight and be comfortable in public speaking. I have tried many times to work on this skill but it seems like I lack some techniques, discipline. What kind of effective exercises do you know? Maybe book recommendations, Youtube videos, courses anything really. 

Toastmasters

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Anything, but not Toastmasters

I mean it can be good, but you need to have a luck and find a good group. I know a guy who was going to their meetings for 3 years and you know what? He still sucks (he has made improvements fod sure, but yeah...). And you need to pay for that. It's just that the results/price ratio of Toastmasters doesn't look appealing to me.

What I would suggest is a 10 min exercise you probably have seen somewhere. Take an item (ex. roll of toilet paper) and talk to it for 10 minutes everyday. If you goal public speaking then give it a speech, if your goal is to learn pick up then seduce it, if your goal is to become funny then say random shit and throw there from time to time a funny story from your life. Simple and effective, you can do that while sitting on the toilet (like me). :D

Put on a priest "dress?". Then go into a church and talk about our "lord and saviour" Jesus. If you're lucky the actual priest likes you let's you continue.

No but many colleges and universities have speech classes you can attend. If not you can create a meetup on meetup.com for public talking. So you can gather a group of strangers to practice.

@Girzo God you are cheap. Toastmasters is something like $30 per quarter. It's cheaper than a Netflix subscription!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Hey, you said you practice meditation for 2 hours everyday, do you get a silent mind regularly?

Why do you think you havent reached enlightnment?

I did those exercices in order to exercice myself for a fire-pitch (in a startup weekend) of 60 seconds. That really helped me:

• For a special speech: Prepare the speech if you are not yet confortable with public speaking
  • For a special speech: Speak in front of mirror as if you really want to convince
  • For all kind of public speaking: Do some exercices with your mouth before going to a bar to meet friends, going to a date, presenting your week schedule at your workplace. I found a short video with 5 mouth exercices / breathing exercices on YouTube. That was great.
  • In life: try to inject humor and "plot" whenever you are speaking about something. Master the silence. I heard it is important. You will catch people's attention.

Think, try, adapt for your case ^_^

45 minutes ago, Ether said:

@Leo Gura Hey, you said you practice meditation for 2 hours everyday, do you get a silent mind regularly?

Why do you think you havent reached enlightnment?

Because Leo will never "reach "Enlightenment", neither will you. It is just realization that happens without you or any personality involved...

Edited by egoless

If your goal it's to improve interpersonal communication take  method acting and improv  classes, read books with lot's of dialogue, go out and talk to people. if your goal it's to be a better speaker toastmasters it is!  

Talk about something you like for 10 minute and record it. Watch the video. Repeat. Eventually you will just be comfortable with it. Everything we practice becomes no big deal. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE