The White Belt

Meditation Practice Feels Like A Mess

8 posts in this topic

Hi.

I'll start with some background on my practice. 

I started about two/three years ago but it was on and off, so then I decided to commit to a daily practice, and I haven't missed a day in about ten months. I sit for one session of 45 minutes in the morning before breakfast in the weekdays, or before I leave he house on weekends. 

But this last month my sittings have been so messy. I'm caught up in stories almost constantly, feels as though I'm barely mindful, I scratch as soon as I need to without being able to stop myself and I crick my neck. Just last month I could sit mostly still and I could count my breath and bring myself back from the mind chatter really well and it was more efficient.

I think one thing is that I'm really excited and happy about the progress of my life purpose and this excitement is spilling into my practice. I'm mostly planning my lp during meditation.

It's starting to feel like a bit of a waste of time. Is this normal after 10 months, is this apart of the growth? Is it good? 

Thanks. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

I'm gonna recommend what worked for me. Before your meditation session grab a notepad and write all your ideas or pending issues, take your time and dont left anything in your subconscious. Then start your meditation and let go of yourself, just melt in the moment.

I have gone through that same problem. At the time, Leo recommended a more rigid practice, like mindfulness.

What really helped me has been pranayamic exercises, especially the one you alternate the nostrils. 

Good luck! You need to release your energy.

And then meditation will feel pleasant :)

@The White Belt Instead of "meditating", try to sit normally, like you would on a park bench waiting for a friend, and JUST BE CONSCIOUS. Be conscious of being. Take a small object in your hand like a pen or pencil, and start wondering what it is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@The White Belt Instead of "meditating", try to sit normally, like you would on a park bench waiting for a friend, and JUST BE CONSCIOUS. Be conscious of being. Take a small object in your hand like a pen or pencil, and start wondering what it is.

Along these lines, one of the "reality checks" I do to promote lucid dreaming is to get into a mindset in which I am really curious if I am awake or dreaming. . . I'm just conscious of all sensation as I wonder if I am dreaming. If I was in a dream, it would be amazing - look at all the detail, sounds and colors. So clear and vivid. Then, you do a "reality check" (such as checking your watch). This exercise can take me out of the "monkey-mind" mindset into one where I'm more conscious. Yet, I'm not sure it it's a silly type of trickery.

I've found better success with four 15 minute sessions per day than the longer sessions.  Sometimes I will meditate for 1 hour though if I feel like it.  Just recently I did a 2 hour session for the first time.  It was pretty cool.  That's a long time!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I've found better success with four 15 minute sessions per day than the longer sessions.  Sometimes I will meditate for 1 hour though if I feel like it.  Just recently I did a 2 hour session for the first time.  It was pretty cool.  That's a long time!

Joseph I have been doing the same. I aim for an hour but at 15 mins or 20 mins or 30mins. I feel like forcing myself will backfire on me as I always feel not great after when I do I am going through a lot in my life at the moment so I think that is why I am so restless.

@The White Belt are you going through something big as well? Or maybe it's your excitement about your life purpose that is bringing all that energy. 

As Jesus said something like "all that is hidden shall be revealed". It surely is part of the process and I don't have an answer to it.