Kazman

I Hit Access Concentration!

16 posts in this topic

A while ago I made a looong post about my experiences on an Enlightenment Intensive retreat.

One thing I didn't mention in that post is that at one time during the retreat, I hit Access Concentration. Leo mentioned it in his video about Concentration Practice. After a long time of continuous inner work I finally didn't have to struggle to keep my attention on the subject of my contemplation. My brain "clicked" and I could just keep it there with almost no effort.

I wanted to write this to put a little perspective on this thing. Because ever since I saw that Actualized video(don't remember the exact title, something about concentration), I added 1-5 mins of concentration practice to my daily routine, and I've been waiting for "Access Concentration" to happen. 

So, how long did it ACTUALLY take me to reach it? 20 minutes? 3 hours? No.

It happened to me after 1,5 DAYS of CONSTANT contemplation.

So there you go, just a little perspective on what to expect. :)

ps: here is a link to the full retreat experience post: 

Forget there’s anything to forget and remember there’s nothing to remember

and how much time the whole process? how much time could you concentrate before the retreat? I have been doing it for about a month and im still at 2 min :P

@Kazman I'm not sure if I've done it or not. Does it feel like awareness came to a point of perfect focus or order?

@IlyaHow much time the whole process? I don't understand the question.

When it happened during the retreat I could enjoy it for 10 mins or something.

In my everyday practice I sometimes manage 2 mins, but often its more a practice of calmly returning to my center again and again, and getting lost again and again.

@cetus56 It was like getting your head above the water. As if you've always been swimming underwater and trying to breathe in an ocean of disturbing thoughts and distractions and suddenly it's all calm and you can just breathe fully and do your thing with zero to none disturbance. I didn't feel something in particular happened to my awareness, my mind just quieted down.

Edited by Kazman

4 minutes ago, Kazman said:

I don't understand the question.

sorry. I meant for how long did you already practice the concentration technique before the retreat, also do you think that the practice affected your results in this retreat?

@Ilya ok I see!

I practiced concentration maybe 1-2 months before the retreat. 

It's really hard to say how much of my previous work affected my retreat results. All I can say for sure is: every effort you make counts. 

@KazmanThis was distinctly different from my usual level of concentration. Maybe it was the first time I experienced a truly empty mind that made the concentration stand out so much.  I'll ask this, Is access concentration similar in any way to what happens in reaching orgasm?

51 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@KazmanThis was distinctly different from my usual level of concentration. Maybe it was the first time I experienced a truly empty mind that made the concentration stand out so much.  I'll ask this, Is access concentration similar in any way to what happens in reaching orgasm?

No.

Not for me anyway.

But there are many sorts of orgasms, maybe a truly mindful tantric union crescendo of an epic hourlong lovemaking session can get you access concentration. But just rubbing one out doesn't have anything to do with it in my experience.

"It happened to me after 1,5 DAYS of CONSTANT contemplation."

What means contemplation exactly? This is not meditation right? So does contemplation mean just thinking about spiriual stuff? 

THere is no video about contemplation how to do it so I ever ask me what is meant by that

@OBEler actually there is an episode! 

in this case for me it was the contemplation technique specifically taught at Enlightenment Intensive Retreats, which is a small series of steps you repeat over and over again. It involves focusing on your self and being open and mindful, so in many ways it is very similar to meditation, although not exactly the same.

@Kazman Hmm. I was looking at http://www.enlightenmentintensive.com.au/ after reading your post, which I could possibly make for the 4.5 day option.

Do you think it could be easily replicated, with a friend / stranger who'd be keen?

It would be a lot cheaper to have someone stay round my house for a few days and commit to it. That said, it might be hard not being in an environment where going deep is the only option, being hammered by questions and little distractions. 

Did the Guru provide a lot of guidance? That you feel that you needed? 

@Voyager in my view it would be very difficult to do by yourself at home. Also, it might be difficult with someone you know too well, you may not be able to be fully open, you might be scared of being judged.

also, you need somebody else to keep track of the schedule, food preparation etc. All of those distractions are taken care of when you go to the retreat.

my suggestion is to go take the repeat at first, get the full experience, then be the judge if it's something you think you'd be able to replicate in your living room with a mate

@Kazman It's those sneaky distractions, as you say, that keep us from going deep with the work. Perhaps I can get my mum to cook my food and gong when its ready, not a good idea unless I like everything burnt :'D I'm pretty keen to try it. I've done a few silent retreats but they don't have this angle to them, just a lot of meditation. 

@cetus56 i noticed something you said and thought this may be helpful or relateable. When I reached a day to day state of non thinking, the first time I had an orgasm I noticed right away that there was not the change in my head / brain. As in, I realized that orgasms naturally were putting my brain in non thinking, when there was no change to be experience, it was immediately clear. . I'm struggling to put this into words. Lol. Hope you get what I'm trying to say. Anyways, yes, if you had a mind state just like during orgasm, ime, that was an experience of non thinking. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Voyager I'm sure you could set something good up at home that will get you results, just don't expect that you'll perfectly replicate an Enlightenment Intensive retreat, ESPECIALLY if you've never been to one. The people who hold them have to go through long trainings before they can host their own retreats.

Best luck!

I have a question about access concentration, if I may.

I am using a candle light, at an arms lenght. This is due to my huge facination of fire in general, and its seducing me naturally.

I am using a lot of focused energy to keep all attention on it, and tossing myself back when thoughts arise or my awareness lingers.

My questions are; 

Is it better to use a fixed point in your breath, as this is more "portable"? Or will the flame work just fine in lenght?

And is 1 hour of practice enough each day? I can get "pumping sensations" around and in my skull after 1 hour of hard focus.

Thanks! :-)