TimStr

Is Researching Conspiracy Theories Worth It?

11 posts in this topic

Let me quickly explain, how this question arose for me: For some time now, I tend to stumble about all sorts of "conspirative" theories. I have a couple of friends that are somewhat into it and I also get approached by random people in the street, that are trying to sell me on their alternative world views. Everything from 9/11 was an inside job, chemtrails and the toxicity of flourinated water which seem to be kind of common theories to far out stuff, like nazi zombies living on the back of the moon and a friend of mine, who believed, that he was part of the MK Ultra program and thought, he was designed to be a weapon of mass destruction of the US government (he had to spend one year in closed mental institution).

Especially the last two are way past the boundary of what the common masses would call insane. However, I just couldn't cope with the answer: "All of this is delousion!" There must be a bigger lesson to be learned.

Probably half a year ago, I had a shift of how I relate to this: In my opinion, conspiracy folks are not much different than "ordinairy" people. They had certain model of how some aspect of the wolrd (politics, health, pharmacy, government) works, that they clung to. Then, they got presented with some alternative data (the conspiracy) and changed their mind, to accept the new "conspiracy" model. HOWEVER I see non of them truly learning the lesson.

For me, when I heard about some of the theories, my mind went: "Oh, I believed this, but here is another reality to believe in, that is contradictory to the first one. So in fact, neither of them is the actual truth, but my understanding of truth has to expand, in order to encompass both of them. That means, both, the old and the new model are just theories that point to the actual truth, but truth can't be found in any of them."

I find the perspective, that there is no actual truth, to be much truer, than any perspective to cling to as truth.

So here is my question:
May it be worth it to research conspiracy theories to deliberately shatter some of my believes about politics, world history and government?
Knowing more different theories, but clinging less to them for me seems to be one way out of the web of believes. Also this might play into the concept of not-knowing.

Edited by TimStr
typos

@TimStr Conspiracy theories can be fun and I do agree that they help expand a closed mind to more possibilities. In fact, I think they had an impact on me going from strict baptist christian to where I am now, believing in more of a universal consciousness type God and reincarnation. My whole belief system changed (which can be a huge shock on the mind and on ego), and I accredit much of it to listening to coast to coast and Art Bell. I don't cement the conspiracy theories to my belief system, but they have definitely cracked open the door to new understandings and possibilities. 

So, I don't think they are a waste of time at all if you enjoy listening and reading them. Just do it with an open mind and a grain of salt. 

First start by researching the conspiracy theory called "self".

If any questions are left that's done, feel free to research whatever you want.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, starsofclay said:

So, I don't think they are a waste of time at all if you enjoy listening and reading them. Just do it with an open mind and a grain of salt. 

Yep, that's the approach, I have in mind.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

First start by researching the conspiracy theory called "self".

If any questions are left that's done, feel free to research whatever you want.

@Leo Gura
Makes sense to get this one handeled first, since this is the ultimate conspiracy.

In your videos about psychedelics you're talking a lot about the barriers of real vs. unreal and sanity vs. insanity breaking away. How does this manifest in your experience, while tripping? Like, what do you hear, see, feel... after you corssed that point?

@TimStr All conspiracies are stories and are not real. It is a story that cannot be proven factually (not truthfully). Once proven then the conspiracy story becomes fact (not truth). Truth is not based on logical conclusions like facts are, but on personal experience and perspectives.

Facts feed the head where the ego resides. Truth feeds the heart where the soul resides.

I have a book at home on conspiracies. Every few years I have a read of it. Every time I read it, all I see is deception. It reminds my to not get caught up in it because I will end up with a mind of deceptive stories. It's not worth it.

I know people who got hooked on conspiracy theories. It didnt benefit them at all, and just gave them a more negative, paranoid outlook on the world. The attraction to these theories seem very ego based. "I have understood this important truth that the naive,  brainwashed masses hasn't. This makes me supperior to them".

There is also a lot of confirmation bias involved. F.i a lot of people hated the Bush government. Becourse of this, the idea that they were responible for 911 just kinda felt right for a lot of these people. It reinforced and justified their existing belief that Bush was evil, making them feel that they got it right, and had been right all along. The way this manifest itself in conciousness is simply the intuition that the theory "make sense" and seems plausable, combined with a subtle good feeling. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

Worth it? What do you wanna get?

Happiness , knowing yourself & knowing your life purpose , opening up to infintiy??

Whatever of those it is, no , researching conspiracies is only marginaly help...

if you wanna entertainyourself, have some fun, enage in the monkey mind, just distract yourself after a hard day, and enjoy some fantacizing , then YES! it is worth it...

peace bro

7 hours ago, TimStr said:

In your videos about psychedelics you're talking a lot about the barriers of real vs. unreal and sanity vs. insanity breaking away. How does this manifest in your experience, while tripping? Like, what do you hear, see, feel... after you corssed that point?

It's too direct to put into words. Things become knowing directly, without language or concept. It's like hyper-intuition. Nothing in particular is heard, seen, or felt. Deep truths just dawn on you out of the blue, and you know they are 100% correct.

It's not a logical linear process, but a massively multi-parallel process.

As David Hawkins once said:

"We know things by holistic pattern recognition."

Not through logic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

A young guy that owns the channel "Destroying the Illusion" is my fave conspiracy investigator, most of their arguments make sense, clearly explained in a board with understable language.

@Maxx @see_on_see @Falk

Like I said, I want shatter my believes by using the conspiracy theory to point out to myself, that there are different "truths" out there to believe in and that all of these are not actual Truth.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:46 PM, Visitor said:

@TimStr All conspiracies are stories and are not real. It is a story that cannot be proven factually (not truthfully). Once proven then the conspiracy story becomes fact (not truth). Truth is not based on logical conclusions like facts are, but on personal experience and perspectives.

Facts feed the head where the ego resides. Truth feeds the heart where the soul resides.

I have a book at home on conspiracies. Every few years I have a read of it. Every time I read it, all I see is deception. It reminds my to not get caught up in it because I will end up with a mind of deceptive stories. It's not worth it.

Yep, you‘re definately right, but my idea was, to use the stories, to expose mainstream theories as being just stories, I started to believe in, as well. Breaking down my web of believes by exposing myself to counter-believes and grasping that both of them are just believes but not actual truth.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:54 PM, Erlend K said:

I know people who got hooked on conspiracy theories. It didnt benefit them at all, and just gave them a more negative, paranoid outlook on the world. The attraction to these theories seem very ego based. "I have understood this important truth that the naive,  brainwashed masses hasn't. This makes me supperior to them".

Yep, that's my main concern as well. That they would just feed into my ego because it would use them to feel superior. However, I think, that I am quite aware of that.

@Leo Gura

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's too direct to put into words. Things become knowing directly, without language or concept. It's like hyper-intuition. Nothing in particular is heard, seen, or felt. Deep truths just dawn on you out of the blue, and you know they are 100% correct.

It's not a logical linear process, but a massively multi-parallel process.

Wow, sounds like it has to be experienced, to grasp it. So, I assume, this is basically how stage turquoise thinking works.

Does this kind of knowing then somehow get translated by your mind?

Because, that was what I experienced on AL-LAD. Some sort of mystical truth is experienced and then translated into conceptual language by the mind. So mystical truth becomes conceptual insight, if the mind is able to grasp it. An I think, that‘s why it is important to learn the theory of non-duality. For the mind to become a better translation device and actually make "sense" of what is experienced, because otherwise, it just spits out nonsens all the time, while tripping.

But in a sense by translation into conceptual language the mind actually makes nonsense out of the mystical experience, because the experience is much "truer", than its conceptualization. :D