Peter Zemskov

Is Lord Of The Rings An Enlightenment Story?

23 posts in this topic

After reading Lord of the Rings I got a sense that it's a metaphor for enlightenment. I am not sure but some things just don't make other sense. J.R.R. Tolkien was an intelligent writer and I wonder if he knew about enlightenment. What are your thoughts on this topic?

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Enlightenment has no story.

It is not found in time.

I mean is it a metaphor for enlightenment?

2 hours ago, Captain Flint said:

@Peter Zemskov Are you familiar with Campbell's Hero's journey structure?
LOTR is about Hero's Journey. And Hero's journey is about enlightenment among other things.

It's very easy to spot those stages in LOTR for every major character (Frodo/Sam/Aragorn, also Gandalf to some degree):

• Call to Adventure
  • Meeting with the Mentor
  • Crossing threshold
  • Temptation
  • Inmost cave and Rebirth
  • Returning with elexir

Yet, It is possible that LOTR being about "enlightenment" is just byproduct of using Hero's journey structure.

Didn't know about hero's journey. Thanks for telling!

One consiousness to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!?

Lord of The Rings is one of the best trilogy for enlightenment 

Posted (edited)

On 8/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, Peter Zemskov said:

What are your thoughts on this topic?

I think any book can be a pointer towards higher truths. 

An example of a book that alludes  to Infinity is The Midnight Library.

Edited by Yimpa

“Within the garden of your mind, every thought is a seed that can bloom into a galaxy of wonders." -ChatGPT 4

Posted (edited)

On 8/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, Peter Zemskov said:

After reading Lord of the Rings I got a sense that it's a metaphor for enlightenment. I am not sure but some things just don't make other sense. J.R.R. Tolkien was an intelligent writer and I wonder if he knew about enlightenment. What are your thoughts on this topic?

I refer to it a lot - mainly pertaining to Gandalf the Grey's battle with the Balrog, where he dies and returns as Gandalf fhe white.  This is analogous, in my opinion, to ego death and enlightenment - dying and being reborn. 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

23 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

I refer to it a lot - mainly pertaining to Gandalf the Grey's battle with the Balrog, where he dies and returns as Gandalf fhe white.  This is analogous, in my opinion, to ego death and enlightenment - dying and being reborn. 

Good analogy.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

Everything is, if you choose to see it that way.

But also, no, it's The Matrix.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Razard86 said:

Good analogy.

Thanks ...i forgot to add that although Tolkien was brilliant i don't believe he was enlightened or knew much about mysticism.  But his mind flowed with mystical thoughts.  I believe he actually knew some visionary scientists who played fundamental roles in the discovery of quantum physics. 

And yes I know this is a thread from 2017 but as a huge Tolkien fan I couldn't resist. 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

5 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

And yes I know this is a thread from 2017 but as a huge Tolkien fan I couldn't resist. 

I wasn’t even aware that this thread was from 2017 until you mentioned it!

“Within the garden of your mind, every thought is a seed that can bloom into a galaxy of wonders." -ChatGPT 4

Posted (edited)

@Inliytened1

I think Barad-dûr represents the ego of all characters, with the ring showing their true characters, and the destruction of it (the tower and the ring) is the awakening of the characters. Imo, the existence of Sauron represents them being unaware of their egos, but without Sauron, they couldn't be aware of it.

Edited by Nemra

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Nemra said:

@Inliytened1

I think the tower of Saruman represents the ego of all characters, with the ring showing their true characters, and the destruction of it (the tower and the ring) is the awakening of the characters. Imo, the existence of Saruman represents them being unaware of their egos, but without Saruman, they couldn't be aware of it.

That's an interesting take - I like that a lot!  I never thought of it in that context but it makes perfect sense!   The ring itself, you could say has a lot of symbolic meaning.  The slow, but steady corruption of the mind via selfishness and greed.  And the need for power.   Yet breaking free of the Ring in a sense is the liberation of self or ego falling away.   But the longer one holds onto the ring, the more difficult it becomes.  Until it completely consumes the individual and any selflessness and goodness that was there has vanished under the power of fhe ring.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

I think symbolism in LOTR is beautiful.

Light vs Dark. Temptation. Power. Deceipt. Courage. Innocence. Friendship. Beauty. Demons. Ego. Mighty compions. Inner Guidance. Desires. Inner devil taking control. Good wins. Evil is destroyed forever. 

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found merely a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse of that one the world is no longer worthy." - Jesus

"The way that we teach Love is not through words and not through behaviors. The way we teach it is through the quietness in our mind." -Ken Wapnick

The writer was into depth psychology. I think all human stories are stories of the archetypical hero. And all lead to the quest for enlightenment.

In Tate we trust

Posted (edited)

@Inliytened1

Also, the ring always belonged to Sauron, regardless of what others believed. Sauron was using their egos with the ring to fulfill his desires, not knowing that there could be someone whose ego could battle his persuasions and keep the ring for themselves. Sauron overestimated his power because he was also not aware of himself. He created a thing (a ring) that could work against him. He saved everyone by being himself. In a way, he is the greatest teacher.

The story is awesome.

I have watched the trilogy maybe 10 times or more. 😁

Edited by Nemra

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Nemra said:

@Inliytened1

Also, the ring always belonged to Saruman, regardless of what others believed. Saruman was using their egos with the ring to fulfill his desires, not knowing that there could be someone whose ego could battle his persuasions and keep the ring for themselves. Saruman overestimated his power because he was also not aware of himself. He created a thing (a ring) that could work against him. He saved everyone by being himself. In a way, he is the greatest teacher.

The story awesome.

I have watched the trilogy maybe 10 times or more. 😁

I think you are thinking of Sauron not Saruman...but yes those are very good points indeed 😉

Saruman was part of the white council but his mind was bent by Sauron and he became a servant of the Dark Lord.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Posted (edited)

@Inliytened1 

Oh, sorry. Yeah, Sauron.

Also, by the tower, I meant Barad-dûr.

Edited by Nemra

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Nemra said:

@Inliytened1 oh, sorry. Yeah, Sauron.

No worries!  I mean - Saruman started out as part of the white council but then succumbed to his own need for power and went to the dark side.  His strength was at that time greater than Gandalf's.  But Mithrandir returned from his battle with the Balrofg the White One - and was able to defeat Saruman.  Sauron did not exist in body so could not be brought down in battle.  Only the destruction of the Ring could be his demise because his power was wielded through the ring.  And it took a little hobbit- the smallest being on the planet, to take out the largest threat that existed.  If that isn't irony I'm not sure what is.  But Hobbits are humble- so perhaps that makes them taller then they stand by measure of feet and inches.   That symbolizes that it's not stature that is a measure of a man, but rather his heart.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.