Max_V

No Drawing Inspiration

11 posts in this topic

So I've been drawing since I was really young, mostly cartoon character that is. But since I've really stopped with watching tv as much, my inspiration is gone.

How do you take creativity out on paper? I would really like to create something unique and that I can be proud of, but I simply don't know where to start.

I've almost always copied stuff and drawn that, but now I want to make something of my own

Where do I start?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

To be honest creating something out of your mind is more difficult  than copying something. 

But really?  Is that a problem? 

Do it because you like it, not because of the outcome.  

Personally I enjoy the process of drawing and most things I've created are copies. So what. I'm still proud. Hehe

@egoeimai Well I really enjoy drawing characters, but I want to create something with which I can express my spirituality and creativity with, something unique. 

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Max_V describe yourself. Pick 3 adjectives. Pick a couple values. Draw that. Then crumble the paper up an throw it on the floor. Do it again. After some number of times, your creative juices are flowing. Then just be fucking awesome for the rest of your life. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Max_V Try doing this. 

consciousex_0491.jpg

Once you feel integrated and lightweight in your body,take a piece of paper.Hold your pencil or pen. and let your body do the expression.(Be aware of any resistance that creates subtle heaviness in the feeling body-- (they restrict expression)--- and let them go.).Let me know if this helps.

Edited by harisankartj

@Max_V

Here are a few ways that work to inspire me (I am a musician):

1. Explore, what other artists are doing. Just spend some time going to galleries, browsing the internet or watching a movie. Get some input.
  2. Face the blank canvas. Sometimes it's not actually lack of inspiration, that's holding you back, but resistance to the work of coming up with something. Set a timer for 2h or do and commit to spend that time to do nothing else but drawing. (That's basically what The war of art by Steven Pressfield is about.)
  3. Challange yourself to do something new. Maybe try not to create a character but something you have never drawn before. 
  4. Meditation. Whenever I sit down to meditate my monkey mind sort of goes through a few phases. At some point it tries to distract me with creative ideas about whatever I thought about a lot, that week. It works great with the first tip. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by TimStr

Awesome replies so far, I will try all of them out and let you guys know if it worked :) 

I am really happy that I have decided to pick up drawing again, it's such an awesome way of expression

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

Have you tried to draw on or after psychedelics? (Good weed/hash can also work to an extent, but it doesn't compare.)

Considering your age, I don't know if that is or should be an option for you. However, psychedelics can have an amazingly powerful effect on all kinds of creative processes.

@Max_V How about drawing your dreams? To me dreams are incredible fascinating and unique, so in my opinion this is something worth drawing. 

You can also go into nature and make pictures of creatures, the world of tiny insects for example. You can make a photo of it and use it as inspiration, this way it might feel more personal. 

Good luck! 

Have you tried drawing random lines and shades on a piece of paper for 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 3 hours? At the beginning more as movements of the body that feel nice, and as things proceed, you can get more and more deliberate. Listening to good music to shut the mind off can work great with that. Whenever I did that and just continued long enough, I discovered new possibilites, which not only made a cool result by themselves, but also became part of my toolbox for later works. 

@Max_V

• Take a pen and just start to doodle like a lunatic.
  • Look at your work and try to identify an object in there (like looking at the clouds, your subconscious will pick sth. that is relevant)
  • Take that as a starting point and find associations towards your highest values.
  • Create a story with that.

It's just about eliminating the pressure in the beginning, after that it's easy and fun. If you have done these steps, I would be excited to see it :)