electroBeam

Anyone Treating Leo Like Buddha In This Forum?

32 posts in this topic

Whenever I answer questions to someone, I frequently quote something Leo says for evidence to an answer to a question as if his words are a fundamental truth. Or I will point to one of his videos for evidence.

Anyone else doing this and should I try and stop worshipping Leo a little lol? Is this damaging the community?

Hm, that's kind of what I am experiencing too, just right now, I wanted to point to Leo's video in which he talks about how you should not worship anybody :D

On one hand, seeing as how just about everyone here is influenced by him in some way (and wouldn't be here having these discussions if he hadn't started up the forum), citing him is a fairly natural thing to do.

However, if trying to make a point about something, I think it's pretty weak to point to someone else for proof. Depending on the subject, of course, but this sort of "appeal to authority"-style of discussing can easily suggest that the writer isn't really thinking about the subject themselves and are just parroting another's views and opinions. I should stress that this isn't even close to always being the case - sometimes, someone else has simply articulated the point so well that it's simply better or more efficient to quote them, rather than trying to say it again with one's own words.

But I think that pointing to one of his videos as a way to "win" a discussion or to provide a final answer to the problem being discussed - that's not how it should be done; and it'd be problematic if other participants in the conversation would think to themselves "Oh well, Leo says that it's like this, so that's the end of this discussion". And I'm fairly sure that Leo would agree with this, that his videos are not the final answer or ultimate truth or anything, and can (should, even) be criticised just as much as anything anyone else says.

And on that point, I'd like to end with a little quote:

"Indeed, I counsel you to go away from me and guard yourselves against Zarathustra! And even better: be ashamed of him! Perhaps he deceived you.

[...]

One repays a teacher badly if one always remains a pupil only." Thus Spake Zarathustra: "On the Bestowing Virtue".

I can't worship him as Buddha, he is not fat enough.

Although he is bald, it helps a little bit.

Edited by kalter000

17 minutes ago, kalter000 said:

I can't worship him as Buddha, he is not fat enough.

Although he is bald, it helps a little bit.

This is my sentiment. 

Endless nuance

On the serious note, I think this is a good thing to consider. 

I think we can all have role models and be inspired, but there is a balance between that and start becoming a delusional fanatic about one person.

I think the best of worlds is to take whatever good you can perceive from a role model, and add your own take on it, without failing to see that they are another human being. Isn't the apex of teaching when you've helped someone surpass your own ability? :) 

I'd say, give him the respect of not holding him as a jesus figure :D 

Endless nuance

He has more experience than most of us, he is a good guidance, but you have to figure out by your own experience if that quotes apply in your  life. Leo is a person too, he could be wrong or could be right, we don't know anything certainly. But you could expand your horizons by just wanted to experience this facts  before you believe in them. 

I've stalked him a lot so far

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

@kalter000 @Simon Zackrisson  The buddha wasn't fat though, he never was fat. That's a misconception. His agent was actually a fat fuck and that's what you see everywhere in the statues. But the buddha always was athletic.

Just now, The Alchemist said:

@kalter000 @Simon Zackrisson  The buddha wasn't fat though, he never was fat. That's a misconception. His agent was actually a fat fuck and that's what you see everywhere in the statues. But the buddha always was athletic.

I was under the impression that he was both a fat fuck, and a starved fuck? : D 

Endless nuance

1 minute ago, Simon Zackrisson said:

I was under the impression that he was both a fat fuck, and a starved fuck? : D 

Come on man :D he was neither as far as the buddhists are concerned, or at least their tellings and the recordings about the buddha. Why do you think that? It says he was fit and athletic. Well maybe starved at some point, I don't know everything from out of his life. But they say that fat buddha figure was not the actual buddha but some agent of him or whatever.

@The Alchemist yeah, I've googled it afterwards. The power of stereotypes, I guess.

And he was hairy unlike Leo :P

Edited by kalter000

1 minute ago, kalter000 said:

@The Alchemist yeah, I've googled it afterwards. The power of stereotypes, I guess.

And he was hairy unlike Leo :P

lol, when your head is full of knowledge and wisdom like Leos your hair gets pushed out. That's how you tell that most are not as far as Leo is :P

@Simon Zackrisson He is called Budai or the laughing buddha. He's from China, they say he brings good luck and wealth. He's not actually Buddha. Buddha's real name is Siddhārtha Gautama.  

http://www.google.com.mm/search?q=gautama+buddha&biw=1440&bih=740&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI9ZeFkP_KAhWDU44KHZTeApEQ_AUIBigB  I couldn't help but correct you about Buddha's true image. (I don't know if you are being sarcastic though.) 

5 minutes ago, Study said:

@Simon Zackrisson He is called Budai or the laughing buddha. He's from China, they say he brings good luck and wealth. He's not actually Buddha. Buddha's real name is Siddhārtha Gautama.  

http://www.google.com.mm/search?q=gautama+buddha&biw=1440&bih=740&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI9ZeFkP_KAhWDU44KHZTeApEQ_AUIBigB  I couldn't help but correct you about Buddha's true image. (I don't know if you are being sarcastic though.) 

Thought it was obvious. Just joking around bro.

Although it's good, me and @kalter000 learned something today (= 

Endless nuance

Sri Leo-ji Baba is the living manifestation of Truth itself

Edited by Naviy

I think that sometimes, if you have an answer to someone's question based on what you found through actualized and you know Leo formulated really clear in a video or you have a quote that gives the essence of what you wanna say it's alright. That's where it should stop, in my opinion.

Just put a disclaimer stating that you don't have the absolute truth if you're not sure about you're answer :)

Being of the Gee U R U mentality, I like to be pragmatic.  When tools work, they work.  If they happen to be Leo tools I don't mind.  ;)  Its working for me at the moment, but I also mix things up.    ;)

O.o 

Is Leo Buddha??? 

:P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16