pablo_aka_god

Is it the end of dating apps?

6 posts in this topic

I've noticed a trend this past year. People are increasingly leaving Dating apps and prefer to join in person activities like lang exchange meetups, book clubs, etc.

Do you also feel this trend or is it just me? 

I moved to a less populated part of the city recently, so could be biased bc of this, but I've also seen this trend among acquaintances

Edited by pablo_aka_god

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I think social circle events are getting way more popular since people are getting tired of the digital world and also the AI revolution is making people anxious about technology. I think it's great and it's reinforcing the importance of third places.

Online dating is still great and I would highly recommend incorporating it in your dating strategy though. No easier way to get consistent dates if you take the time to set up a proper profile instead of uploading 4 random pictures and then giving up on it forever.

Edited by LordFall

Building a global media agency. Follow my progress on Instagram

The dream is not easy but each day we're getting closer 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah for some reason I only get matched to trans folks mostly even though I’m straight AF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pablo_aka_god said:

Do you also feel this trend or is it just me? 

I've noticed people put in more effort to go out and make new friends, which in my country is definitely a big shift since people liked to keep to themselves and their established friend groups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m meeting more girls through dating apps than ever before. Though I heavily support the idea of meeting people IRL. It should be the primary way you date and meet people.

However if you can make apps work for you, they’re great to have running in the background. Time spent building an excellent profile pays dividends for years with little effort on your part.

There are three things I don’t like about them though.

Firstly, they get repetitive. Same conversations over and over and over which can give you a kind of burnout feeling. 

Secondly, these companies are pretty sketch, and I think they should be regulated quite heavily given how influential they are. They’re almost certainly up to some automated fucky shit to get people to pay. For example, my tinder gold membership expired last week for example and now miraculously I got more likes in 1 week (that I can’t see) than I did in 3 weeks prior with gold, and there are ads teasing me about gold unlocking them every time I open the app. I’ve had similar experiences before as well where I feel like I’m being manipulated by a dating algorithm crafted to keep my attention and extract money.

Thirdly, I fucking hate how they handle bans. My hinge account got banned while I was travelling. I hadn’t even talked to anyone on the app in a week when it happened.

Permanent. No reason given. No option to appeal. Comprehensive fingerprinting which immediately detects matching face, photos, phone IMEI, phone number, IP, email, Apple/Google account, so creating a new account is near enough impossible without significant measures.

Edited by something_else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good. I don't consider them healthy for our society. They can be done in an ethical way perhaps, but the current way they operate is beyond toxic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now