SFRL

How To Improve Sleep?

15 posts in this topic

What do you do to improve sleep. 

Especially the uniterupted time you sleep.  

For me that worked best: eating healthy, supplements, CBD Oil, working out, meditating/Tai Chi/Yoga.

Besides what has already been mentioned

• Avoid your exposure to blue light at least 2 hours prior (tablets, phones, laptops...) 
  • Get a bit of fresh air
  • Drink warm beverage ( without stimulating substances) 
  • Read a book ( not on PC or phone) 
  • Meditate
  • Journal
  • Go to bed between 9-10:30 pm. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 2017-6-7 at 6:57 PM, Outer said:

Take 0.3 mg (300 mcg) of Melatonin an hour before bed, or a couple hours before, 

I wouldn't advise taking chemical hormones to help with sleep, not even small doses.

The body starts secreting enough melatonin after 10pm to put you in sleep as long as you don't do things like watching TV to numb it down. Whenever you start supplementing something that is naturally being released by your body, you are asking for trouble. Same with taking testosterone and same with using inhalers instead allowing adrenal glands to do their work, and same with drinking coffee...  

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Outer  very decent arguments all of it. 

Yet still, humanity is getting overly dependant on outer help. Be it sleeping pills, be it antidepressants, be it performance or sexual stimulants. Having done a quick google search I found couple articles that say that it can actually be harmful to take Melatonin from external source and that it stops working over time however that would be the same if I were to ask if Avocado is healthy, no doubt i'd find someone telling me it isn't. 

The problem is that we get overly attached to stimulants on an emotional level. Most of us could go on our daily lives without coffee but we choose not to because it is emotionally the easiest thing. Even though you say Melatonin supplementation is cheap and non addictive, there might still be someone who get emotionally so hooked on it that they'll never be able to sleep without it. 

That being said i agree with your point that Melatonin secretion is killed by Blue Light which is reason why we can't go to sleep after hours of browsing in the night. The solution here is not to take supplements, but to optimise one's lifestyle and daily schedule which in our mainstream culture is getting increasingly difficult. 

@SFRL

Intend to get a good night sleep. It is optional, choose it. If you repeatedly invoke a good feeling when you choose a good nights sleep I don't think you would need any of the below suggestions....

Divorce floride & aluminum deoderents all together. They can clog the pineal and mess up your melatonin. Alcohol can have this effect too. 

Notice the itch you get on your body while laying down to go to sleep. Don't scratch it. It's a signal from your brain checking to see if your body is awake.  The brain can't tell the difference between external and internal 'reality'. Don't scratch the itch and you'll be asleep within 10 minutes. 

If you aren't sleeping through the entire night. Meditate every day for at least 20 minutes. Still not sleeping, try taking melatonin. Consider cutting out caffeine after around 1pm. 

If still not sleeping, address a strong & deeper belief. Consider that the need for sleep is a collective belief. You really only need rest. Know that, be content with the rest. Sex or a rub out changes brain chemistry in a very sleep favorable way also and after a few nights may get you back in a pattern of good sleep. Good luck! Hope something helps. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Last two nights I have been sleeping solid. 6 - 8 hours straight. 

Lately I have been consuming a lot more Magnesium and Zinc trough foods and suplements. Also Vitamin D but not a consistent. I think now after a while this supplementation might be having effect. 

I also have been taking effort of getting rid of all light sources in the room like the alarmclock and the little red light on the TV. 

How to improve sleep? Easy: make sure you have no children around. Done! ;) Just kidding. Sort of.

Get a lot of fresh air during the day and relax before going to bed.

Polyphasic sleep. I only need 3 hours and some naps to feel good.

6 hours ago, HikiNEET said:

Polyphasic sleep. I only need 3 hours and some naps to feel good.

To feel good, but it isn't healthy. You will never go into the good REM sleep which you need a lot. For health i do not recommend sleep hacking but improving sleep would be a good idea. 

Edited by mudita

38 minutes ago, mudita said:

To feel good, but it isn't healthy. You will never go into the good REM sleep which you need a lot. For health i do not recommend sleep hacking but improving sleep would be a good idea. 

I don't think you actually studied about polyphasic sleep. Monophasic sleep has less REM time and more light sleep. If you take a nap of 1~2 hours, you have MORE REM sleep.

Edited by HikiNEET

@HikiNEET I've done Everyman as well with 3,5 hours of core sleep and two 30 min naps. You get used to it and there's not much difference if you make it quality naps. What I did notice though was not enough time for recovery from resistance training. If I were to be more sedentary I'd do Uberman but as of now I'm doing a regular 7 hours a night. Will try out segmented sleep soon. What's your schedule like?

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w