ElenaO

Repeating Sore Throat

35 posts in this topic

I keep getting sore throats every month. Sometimes even more often than that. It's very annoying, and it takes at least 5 days to recover fully. I wonder if anyone has had to deal with this? Is there some way to stop this cycle?

Btw, yes, I do eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, so I should be getting more than enough of Vitamin C.

@ElenaO Yes vitamin C is really good for sore throat. The seasonal sore throat could be due to seasonal allergies. Make sure to gargle with hot water. I know how annoying it is,

Drink lots of water. Water imbalance also causes it. Make  sure to keep your room and house absolutely dust and pollen free. If it is caused by air conditioning switch to other methods of cooling like fans or something.

Eating honey helps when you are experiencing the soreness.

However I would also suggest to meet with a doctor to check for any hidden lung infection/sinusitis or inflammatory conditions of the throat.

Take care.

Edited by Loreena

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Loreena thanks! I am positive it has nothing to do with allergies. It's most likely that it's some hidden infection. 

And yes, I am sure I am getting enough of vitamin C. Also honey doesn't help in such cases. I know drinking lots of water helps, that's what I do. 

@ElenaO try removing lactose and sugar from your diet for 2 weeks and see what happens. those 2 are inflammatory substances for our body.

unborn Truth

5 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@ElenaO try removing lactose and sugar from your diet for 2 weeks and see what happens. those 2 are inflammatory substances for our body.

By sugar you mean any carbohydrate? It would be quite tough. Even veggies have carbs.

16 minutes ago, ElenaO said:

By sugar you mean any carbohydrate? It would be quite tough. Even veggies have carbs.

no, i mean white sugar.
i don't know how popular it is where you live but it's extremely popular in brazil.

01-too-much-sugar-opener.jpg

unborn Truth

7 hours ago, ajasatya said:

no, i mean white sugar.
i don't know how popular it is where you live but it's extremely popular in brazil.

01-too-much-sugar-opener.jpg

Well, it is popular all over the world, I guess. I will try this out - no sugar or milk for 2 weeks. If that cures me of this constantly reappearing infection, I am ready to give it up.

Raw garlic is an incredibly powerful antibacterial and anti-inflamatory food. 

Chop it or blend it with your smoothie, add banana or mango to blunt the nasty taste, alternatively hold your nose while drinking that. Make sure you get organic garlic as the usual gets irradiated to grow larger and faster. 

Hope that helps :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@ElenaO

Lifestyle and home remedies

Regardless of the cause of your sore throat, these at-home care strategies can help you ease your symptoms:

• Rest. And rest your voice.
  • Drink fluids. Fluids keep the throat moist and prevent dehydration. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate you.
  • Try comforting foods and beverage. Warm liquids — broth, caffeine-free tea or warm water with honey — and cold treats such as ice pops can soothe a sore throat.
  • Gargle with saltwater. A saltwater gargle of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of table salt to 4 to 8 ounces of warm water can help soothe a sore throat. Gargle the solution and then spit it out.
  • Humidify the air. Use a cool-air humidifier to eliminate dry air that may further irritate a sore throat or sit for several minutes in a steamy bathroom.
  • Consider lozenges or hard candy. Either can soothe a sore throat, but don't give them to children age 4 and younger because of choking risk.
  • Avoid irritants. Keep your home free from cigarette smoke and cleaning products that can irritate the throat.

Prevention

The best way to prevent sore throats is to avoid the germs that cause them and practice good hygiene. 

• Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after using the toilet, before eating, and after sneezing or coughing.
  • Avoid sharing food, drinking glasses or utensils.
  • Cough or sneeze into a tissue and throw it away. When necessary, sneeze into your elbow.
  • Use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as an alternative to washing hands when soap and water aren't available.
  • Avoid touching public phones or drinking fountains with your mouth.
  • Regularly clean telephones, TV remotes and computer keyboards with sanitizing cleanser. When you travel, clean phones and remotes in your hotel room.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick

I quick remedy i used to make for sore throat is combine virgin coconut oil, raw honey and lemon and heat on low to make a syrup and slowly sip it and swallow it as slow as possible few times a day. Not sure what are the exact amounts i used but find what works for you :) You could also add cinnamon to boost and spice things up a bit but optional.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

17 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

@ElenaO

Lifestyle and home remedies

Regardless of the cause of your sore throat, these at-home care strategies can help you ease your symptoms:

• Rest. And rest your voice.
  • Drink fluids. Fluids keep the throat moist and prevent dehydration. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate you.
  • Try comforting foods and beverage. Warm liquids — broth, caffeine-free tea or warm water with honey — and cold treats such as ice pops can soothe a sore throat.
  • Gargle with saltwater. A saltwater gargle of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of table salt to 4 to 8 ounces of warm water can help soothe a sore throat. Gargle the solution and then spit it out.
  • Humidify the air. Use a cool-air humidifier to eliminate dry air that may further irritate a sore throat or sit for several minutes in a steamy bathroom.
  • Consider lozenges or hard candy. Either can soothe a sore throat, but don't give them to children age 4 and younger because of choking risk.
  • Avoid irritants. Keep your home free from cigarette smoke and cleaning products that can irritate the throat.

Prevention

The best way to prevent sore throats is to avoid the germs that cause them and practice good hygiene. 

• Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after using the toilet, before eating, and after sneezing or coughing.
  • Avoid sharing food, drinking glasses or utensils.
  • Cough or sneeze into a tissue and throw it away. When necessary, sneeze into your elbow.
  • Use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as an alternative to washing hands when soap and water aren't available.
  • Avoid touching public phones or drinking fountains with your mouth.
  • Regularly clean telephones, TV remotes and computer keyboards with sanitizing cleanser. When you travel, clean phones and remotes in your hotel room.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick

Thanks for the list, but I am aware of literally all of those. In fact, quite a few of them I do follow almost  religiously. It's a sort of OCD. I still get the infection though. I'm suspecting that my immunity has gone down significantly. No idea why. Maybe because of the surgery I have had couple of months back. Though I was getting sick even before that. It seems that my throat is the weak spot. Will keep researching about what I could do. 

17 hours ago, pluto said:

I quick remedy i used to make for sore throat is combine virgin coconut oil, raw honey and lemon and heat on low to make a syrup and slowly sip it and swallow it as slow as possible few times a day. Not sure what are the exact amounts i used but find what works for you :) You could also add cinnamon to boost and spice things up a bit but optional.

Thanks! How effective the remedy is in your opinion? How would you rate it on the scale of five? I have tried similar things, eg honey and I barely notice any improvements. 

1 minute ago, ElenaO said:

I'm suspecting that my immunity has gone down significantly.

To improve health and immunity, learn how to live meditatively.

Once a man falls ill, the vibrations of the disease enter the soul, and that is why often the disease persists even after the body has been given the treatment and is cured. This persistence of the disease is there because of its vibrations which echoed all the way to the innermost being of the person and for which medical science has no solution so far. So medical science will always remain incomplete without meditation. We will be able to cure the disease but we will not be able to cure the patient.

Medicine catches the diseases in man very superficially. Meditation gets hold of man from deep within. In other words it can be said that medicine tries to bring about the health of a person from the outside; meditation tries to keep the inner being of a person healthy. Neither can the science of meditation be complete without medicine, nor can the science of medicine be complete without meditation.

6 hours ago, ElenaO said:

Thanks! How effective the remedy is in your opinion? How would you rate it on the scale of five? I have tried similar things, eg honey and I barely notice any improvements. 

HoneyLemonCoconutOilSyrup600.jpg

Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat over low until coconut oil is melted.

Take warm syrup by the spoonful as desired. You can also mix the syrup into hot water or tea.

Once the syrup is cooled the coconut oil will harden.

Store in refrigerator for up to a month. Gently warm the syrup up before using.

Try it :)

B R E A T H E

What do you eat on a regular basis? Tell me what you eat in a day?

(Example:

8:00 Oatmeal

10:00 banana...........)

Edited by mudita

1 hour ago, mudita said:

What do you eat on a regular basis? Tell me what you eat in a day?

(Example:

8:00 Oatmeal

10:00 banana...........)

It varies. I try to follow  paleo as much as I can. So I eat eggs, vegetables, fruits, small amounts of meat (very small and rarely), nuts. From times to times I would eat also sweets and bread. And more often than that I would eat dairy. 

On 2017-5-8 at 8:45 PM, ElenaO said:

It varies. I try to follow  paleo as much as I can. So I eat eggs, vegetables, fruits, small amounts of meat (very small and rarely), nuts. From times to times I would eat also sweets and bread. And more often than that I would eat dairy. 

Maybe intolerant to bread, nuts or dairy? Try to skip it for 2 weeks, eat it again and see how you feel after it. 

I think you probably are running short on some nutrients since you rely mostly on eggs, vegetables and fruits? 

• Eat fish on the low end of the food chain like sardines and salmon
  • Eat grass-fed beef (if it isn't grass-fed only eat the leanest meats possible, but generely try to avoid eating conventional meats)
  • If going for dairy only drink raw milk & dairy products
  • Don't cook in oils but use coconut oil, tallow fat (animal fat) or grass fed butter to cook in since this is way more stable on higher temperatures
  • For carbs try to eat mainly from fruits and potatoes (paleo mostly eats 50-150 grams of carbs a day)
  • Pasture raised eggs <3
  • Cheat meals aren't a crime but try to cheat as less possible
  • Nuts are alright but try to avoid peanuts
  • Get food from locally farmers as much as possible
Edited by mudita

@mudita coconut oil is an oil just like any other, the deep molecular structure is not that different. It is still fat. Any fats when used for cooking become rancid and release free radical that oxidide your cells and can cause cancer in longterm. There is no "good fat" when it comes to cooking in high temperature. 

Dairy contains high levels of IGF(insuline growth factor) growth hormone which is a cause why young calf grows to be 2000 pounds, it has no place in human body. We are primarily herbivores as our digestion track is too long to get rid of the animal food fast enough because they start to decay.  Even if the cows is the most organically fed on earth, the amounts of hormones are high for any human to process. We produce IGF when growing naturally however adding animal amounts is certainly not helping.

Not to mention that animal protein increases the acidity of your organism, robing your bones of calcium to compensate for it hence causing even more sickness along the way. At the same time the very same protein blocks the absorption of the calcium in animal food so it stays in your digestive track, turning kidneys and bones into stones, that's why you see older animal eaters limping and walking funny with their joints lacking flexibility. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 What are your suggestions for an animal protein replacement? Or did you talk only about dairy, but not the meats?

10 hours ago, ElenaO said:

@Michael569 What are your suggestions for an animal protein replacement? Or did you talk only about dairy, but not the meats?

Screen_Shot_2014-11-09_at_4.28.01_PM.jpg

Every food has a little bit of protein, by the end of the night you should get more than enough we only need about 0.8 - 1.2g/kg body-weight.

I know people that consume even less and still are healthy and strong, the body adapts well as long as you eat more real whole food you should be fine :) These proteins are more alkaline, you absorb them better and more digestible to the human body thus not needed to consume as much as you would meat gram per gram.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E