VictorB02

Stepping Out of The Comfort Zone - Traveling Solo Internationally

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After my recent breakup, I knew I needed a change. So, I have decided to commit to a solo international travel journey, first to Bali, Indonesia - Then to somewhere in Thailand, and then possibly India or Vietnam after.

Has anyone here solo-traveled internationally before? I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions if you have.

I'm excited, a bit afraid, and also deeply called to take this trip. I know it will be worth it for the growth, and who knows what cool experiences and people await me. It quite literally feels like the next step on the path to the evolution of my soul. It feels quite mystical, like I'm "supposed" to do this.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Cheers!

Edited by VictorB02

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

I’ve not necessarily solo traveled. However, I can relate in another way. A couple years ago I decided that I want to know what it’s like to live on my own. Before that I always lived with family.

Living in a house solo has reaped me a ton of inner and outer growth. Learning how to live in new ways is where it’s at!

“Why was the math book always alone? Because it had too many problems to solve on its own!“ -Claude 3 Opus

6 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I’ve not necessarily solo traveled. However, I can relate in another way. A couple years ago I decided that I want to know what it’s like to live on my own. Before that I always lived with family.

Living in a house solo has reaped me a ton of inner and outer growth. Learning how to live in new ways is where it’s at!

That’s awesome. I feel the same way. I’ve traveled in the U.S. before, with my family, friends, and girlfriend, but never alone, and never to another country. It’s like the perfect challenge for me, and I know this is exactly what I need. I really can’t explain the feeling. It’s a very deep spiritual call. 

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

Posted (edited)

I've just come back from my "travelling through India for three months" solo trip...

...which in the end turned into a travelling through India for four-and-a-half-months solo trip. :D And it was absolutely amazing.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I for one LOVE travelling alone. You're free as a bird, you can be completely spontaneous and just do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it without needing to have endless discussions with other people all day long... and the chances of getting into unexpected adventures with random folks that you meet along the way are much higher when you are on your own; for me, it's these chance encounters that are the real spice of travelling abroad. The best things that happen while you're on the road are usually the ones that you didn't plan beforehand, and they are much more likely to happen when you travel solo.

So yeah, go for it. Apart from pursuing spirituality, travelling to foreign countries by yourself is the best thing you can possibly do to expand your consciousness and turn life into an adventure. I'd probably do it full time if I could... well, never say never! 

;)

Edited by Bazooka Jesus

Why so serious?

4 hours ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

I've just come back from my "travelling through India for three months" solo trip...

...which in the end turned into a travelling through India for four-and-a-half-months solo trip. :D And it was absolutely amazing.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I for one LOVE travelling alone. You're free as a bird, you can be completely spontaneous and just do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it without needing to have endless discussions with other people all day long... and the chances to get into unexpected adventures with random folks that you meet along the way are much higher when you are on your own; it's these chance encounters that are the real spice of travelling abroad imo. The best things that happen while you're on the road are usually the ones that you didn't plan beforehand, and they are much more likely to happen when you travel solo.

So yeah, go for it. Apart from pursuing spirituality, travelling to foreign countries by yourself is the best thing you can possibly do to expand your consciousness and turn life into an adventure. I'd probably do it full time if I could... well, never say never! ;)

Couldn't agree more, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of lifestyle leads to the greatest maturity.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

18 minutes ago, Razard86 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this type of lifestyle leads to the greatest maturity.

Hear hear.

If someone would ask me to name one thing that I wish I had done more during my younger years, it would definitely be travelling. But better late than never, I guess.

Why so serious?

Posted (edited)

Hi, i actually solo travél often within Europe and i Love It,actually the norm for me. (Once i travelled internationally) i definetly recommend. But im an introvert so yeah.

It gets me out of a Rut, can think, introspect Life and its refreshing to be alone, well at least from my perspective. Leo talks about this in his satisfaction meditation video, travelling solo and embracing It, not needed the external world to validate and satisfy you. 

Edited by cjoseph90

Posted (edited)

All I've done is solo traveling, although not willingly, the key is to meet people on your trip, the more the merrier. My opinion of each country has largely been shaped by the people I met, even if the people I met weren't native to that country.

To fall in and out of love, make tangible and intangible friendships, get a little hurt, get lost, learn something, and experience something new. That's the perfect trip. 

Additionally, If I was to design a perfect trip for myself, I would do a few more things: 

1. Hitchhiking - This is how people traveled in the past, a highly structured trip almost takes away from the experience, In an ideal world I wouldn't even book an apartment or room, I would look for one once I'm there, or sleep somewhere else, maybe in a tent or someone's truck. You'd be surprised.

2. Make it multiple weeks (hopefully months) long, visit more places/more countries

3. Buy or rent a very old car for cheap, this is how I'm planning on doing a road trip across Australia and Tasmania soon. It's the best tip I have. 

4. Go to festivals, events, beaches, parties

5. Hostels are cheap and you can potentially win the jackpot by meeting great people right off the bat, especially if they're young. However, they are also exhausting sometimes because you can't get proper sleep (at least I couldn't most times).

6. Don't tell anyone you're going and just leave :D (Don't do this)

I wouldn't recommend these 6 things to most people, It would probably leave you exhausted at the end rather than rejuvenated, I hate resting on vacation. In general, the more idiotic and reckless the more memorable. The worst way to spend traveling is to do what everyone else does, eat at expensive restaurants and take pictures of yourself next to famous monuments. Total Waste, most people I know travel somewhere just to sleep and get a tan. Proper traveling is not for the weak-willed.

Don't wear any accessories while traveling alone, in dangerous areas, try not to stall too much, and look like a local instead of a tourist.

Edited by MarkKol

@VictorB02 how old are you?

I’ve been thinking about doing the same, but now I’m 30 I also wonder if it’s too late for travelling around. 

My fear is that although it’ll be fun and exciting, I’d always have to come back home and start again. I might grow as a person but I could just grow internally at home. 

Inner game won’t be fixed by being in a different country. I could be wrong. I’ve got friends that have gone travelling and they always come back happier people

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

To fall in and out of love, make tangible and intangible friendships, get a little hurt, get lost, learn something, and experience something new. That's the perfect trip.

Yeeeeessss! Plus being chased by wild bison while tripping on psychedelics. :D

In an ideal world I wouldn't even book an apartment or room, I would look for one once I'm there, or sleep somewhere else, maybe in a tent or someone's truck. You'd be surprised.

In general, the more idiotic and reckless the more memorable. The worst way to spend traveling is to do what everyone else does, eat at expensive restaurants and take pictures of yourself next to famous monuments. Total Waste, most people I know travel somewhere just to sleep and get a tan. Proper traveling is not for the weak-willed.

Agreed... too much structure, comfort and safety absolutely ruins the adventure of travelling. I'd say don't be a f***ing idiot on purpose, but also don't plan too much ahead; always leave some space for healthy chaos, craziness and coincidence to kick in.

For me, the whole point of travelling is to take a courageous dive into the unknown and trust the universe to take you to new and unexpected shores. If you play it too safe, you are only going to rob yourself of some of the most valuable experiences, lessons and insights that "proper" travelling has to offer; you need to be willing to let go of the reigns (at least to a certain extent) and surf the unpredictable flow of life if you really want to reap the full benefits of venturing abroad. Otherwise, why travel at all?

No risk, no fun. Travelling is supposed to be a real roller coaster ride, not a measly merry-go-round.

Why so serious?

Yes.

Germany, UK, Sweden, Catalonia and a large number of cities in France.

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

That said, travel is clearly overrated these days if you're honest with yourself.

1 hour ago, RawJudah said:

I’ve been thinking about doing the same, but now I’m 30 I also wonder if it’s too late for travelling around.

:DxD:DxD:DxD:D

Man, I am in my forties... and I've never felt more confident travelling abroad than I do these days. Heck, in Nepal I ran into a 70 years old hippie guy from Spain who couldn't even speak proper English, let alone Nepali, Hindi or any other Asian language under the sun, and this dude was having the time of his life over there.

Your age is never a barrier, unless you make it one.

Why so serious?

18 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

That said, travel is clearly overrated these days if you're honest with yourself.

No it isn't. You just need to know how to do it properly.

Why so serious?

5 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

Good thing none of us on here is one years old :P

“Why was the math book always alone? Because it had too many problems to solve on its own!“ -Claude 3 Opus

20 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Good thing none of us on here is one years old :P

Judging from the level of maturity of your comments, you could have fooled me. :P:P:P

Why so serious?

40 minutes ago, Bazooka Jesus said:

:DxD:DxD:DxD:D

Man, I am in my forties... and I've never felt more confident travelling abroad than I do these days. Heck, in Nepal I ran into a 70 years old hippie guy from Spain who couldn't even speak proper English, let alone Nepali, Hindi or any other Asian language under the sun, and this dude was having the time of his life over there.

Europeans in any country besides the US is always a great experience

59 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

If you don’t understand travel, you're not twisted enough.

6 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

Europeans in any country besides the US is always a great experience

Yes

6 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

If you don’t understand travel, you're not twisted enough.

I understand travel.

But i come to the point where the best things i want doesn't need travel. 

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

I understand travel.

You don’t, yur scared

If you come to Australia with me I promise I won’t touch you while you sleep 😃

Unless….

would you actually host an actualized forum user if they came over to australia hahahah