Princess Arabia

Jamaica: The City I Grew Up In.

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I ran across this YT video of the exact city I grew up in. Brought back lovely memories; bad ones too, but mostly good. Thought I'd share. I left a long time ago, so this was cool to see. It's 10mins short.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time.

Cool! I like the first song he played, too.

I often wonder how different the neighborhoods I grew up in will look these days.

10 minutes ago, Willie said:

Cool! I like the first song he played, too.

I often wonder how different the neighborhoods I grew up in will look these days.

Where did you grow up?

@Princess Arabia

So beautiful just like  you. No wonder you are Caribbean, i was thinking you were in an African country, you never felt American in your energy. 

My bestie lives in Southern Africa and she said in Africa they changed the song title to African Queen, i never knew that. 😀

How long did you live in Jamaica for and where do you live now? 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

8 hours ago, Yimpa said:

How long did you live in Jamaica for and where do you live now? 

I lived there about 20yrs. I live in Nj now.

Beautiful. Hope you reunite with your homeland one day. I grew up in Damascus, Syria and also have good and bad memories from there 

Just now, integration journey said:

Beautiful. Hope you reunite with your homeland one day. I grew up in Damascus, Syria and also have good and bad memories from there 

Definitely enjoyed growing up. Good and bad. Had lots of fun as a child. The bad wasn't too bad. Normal shit.

Posted (edited)

Typical residential suburb of an average equatorial country :ph34r:

Edited by Schizophonia

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

@Princess Arabia

On 2024-04-13 at 2:55 AM, Princess Arabia said:

I ran across this YT video of the exact city I grew up in. Brought back lovely memories; bad ones too, but mostly good. Thought I'd share. I left a long time ago, so this was cool to see. It's 10mins short.

Yes, also the city that gave Reggae music!

40 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Typical residential suburb of an average equatorial country :ph34r:

Nope. Kingston would be considered more urban in Ja. That isn't nothing compared to the rural areas where the mountains and woods are prevalent. If I can find a good video showing that, I'll share. Here is the US, yes, it'll be considered suburban, but not in Ja. We do have cities where it's more urban as in downtown Ja and New Kingston; but for the most part where I grew up wasn't considered suburban but the city. In ja Kingston would be like the NY of the US. The other parts were considered country.

16 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Princess Arabia

Yes, also the city that gave Reggae music!

It's not the city that gave reggae music, but the country overall. Bob Marley grew up, in Trench Town which was more impoverished than a lot of other cities. Saying the parish, would be a better way since my city didn't really borne reggae music. Kingston is the parish and Patrick City, where I grew up was a city within the parish of Kingston. I remember going to Bob Marleys home once and saw the bullet hole where they shot at him. It was like a museum at the time. Do you know of Peter Tosh - fun fact: I dated his son for a short while, which wasn't so fun😂 - pain in the ass, I was a late teenager then.

45 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Nope. Kingston would be considered more urban in Ja. That isn't nothing compared to the rural areas where the mountains and woods are prevalent. If I can find a good video showing that, I'll share. Here is the US, yes, it'll be considered suburban, but not in Ja. We do have cities where it's more urban as in downtown Ja and New Kingston; but for the most part where I grew up wasn't considered suburban but the city. In ja Kingston would be like the NY of the US. The other parts were considered country.

I see, I say that because my cousin now lives on Reunion Island and it seems a lot similar.

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

I see, I say that because my cousin now lives on Reunion Island and it seems a lot similar.

Where is Reunion Island?

7 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

you know what you were right in calling it suburb. That means part of urban. My bad

Short clip on what the country side looks like.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

Where is Reunion Island?

Near Madagascar. 

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

Short clip on what the country side looks like.

Gorgeous 

Edited by Schizophonia