r0ckyreed

The Missing Element of Actualized.org

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A thought just came to me from reading Leo’s recent blog post on leftist politics. I was just thinking that it is ironic that Leo has a focus and deep critical thought about politics, but he doesn’t really have any content about morality. All of his content so far has been about self-help, metaphysics, epistemology, and politics. There is no content I have found except for the video he made called Why Good and Evil Do Not Exist. But this is a metaethics video and does not tell us anything about morality and the best ways to navigate through moral dilemmas

This is what I feel is missing from Actualized.org. It is a deep inquiry and analysis of right action. Yes, morality is relative, but that doesn’t mean we should dismiss all conversation about it. Self-help is relative but we discuss that. Think of morality as another part of self-help that we can call other-help. Morality is the biggest issue in our society. Leo has discussed about corruption but there is nothing on normative ethics. Normative ethics and applied ethics are the missing pieces. We know morality is relative, but that means that there are true and false answers within the context that we arbitrarily define. 

For instance, we could say that health is relative based off of our definitions of health and other factors like epigenetics. But within our defined scope, there are true and false answers such as eating this mushroom will damage your health.

In this same light, we can have true and false answers about morality if we have the parameters defined such as being focused on creating social harmony and social well-being, which those would also have to be further defined. I get the problem. Within every concept we have, people have different definitions but yet we are still able to refer to the same thing. This is the paradox of language.

We need to talk about morality more because this is an essential part of our lives and personal growth. How can a Devil learn how to be moral if we never focus on answering the question of how to be moral? Why be moral? If we just say morality is a waste of time because it is relative, then you are missing the point. Your health is relative. Morality is social health.

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

4 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

here is no content I have found except for the video he made called Why Good and Evil Do Not Exist.

But this is a metaethics video and does not tell us anything about morality and the best ways to navigate through moral dilemmas

Leo has tons of content on morality. It just doesn't look like what you want.

You essentially want Leo to create a moral code that will tell you how to behave. But this would actually be a lesser form of morality than what Leo teaches, because true morality cannot be codified or made into some sort of algorithm. 

If you want lesser morality, join a religion. They have plenty of that already.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, aurum said:

Leo has tons of content on morality. It just doesn't look like what you want.

You essentially want Leo to create a moral code that will tell you how to behave. But this would actually be a lesser form of morality than what Leo teaches, because true morality cannot be codified or made into some sort of algorithm. 

If you want lesser morality, join a religion. They have plenty of that already.

Please point out a video he has that analyzing all the normative ethical theories such as utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics, contractarianism, Confucianism, etc., as well as articulated the limits of each theory and creating a grand big picture of morality. I am not interested in a moral code. That doesn’t work. I am interested in contemplating the grand picture of what makes a human good, what is the right behavior, what makes human flourishing possible, how to be moral, how to navigate through moral dilemmas, and why be moral. We are making moral decisions every day even when we don’t think about it. I don’t need Leo to answer these questions, I just found it ironic that he has been more political as time goes on and I find it interesting that there is no analysis of morality at a normative ethics and applied ethics standpoint. If there is a video, I have looked and have not found it.

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Please point out a video he has that analyzing all the normative ethical theories such as utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics, contractarianism, Confucianism, etc., as well as articulated the limits of each theory and creating a grand big picture of morality.

You don't need all that. It's fine to explore but these ethical theories are not where morality comes from.

9 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

I am interested in contemplating the grand picture of what makes a human good, what is the right behavior, what makes human flourishing possible, how to be moral, and why be moral.

Literally this:

Edited by aurum

You need some sex. Is that moral enough.

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time.

12 hours ago, aurum said:

You don't need all that. It's fine to explore but these ethical theories are not where morality comes from.

Literally this:

We operate off of these theories whether we think about them or not. I am a mental health counselor and I have to do ethics all the time and I have to consider my ethics in my decision-making. I tend to use different ethical theories in my work. I treat clients as ends and not as means (deontology), and I weigh the consequences when faced with an ethical dilemma (utilitarianism).

That video on Goodness is not what I am talking about. It is too metaphysical and disconnected from everyday human affairs. If a Devil were to watch it, they still wouldn’t know how to act good in society.

10 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

You need some sex. Is that moral enough.

It depends on how I get the sex. 

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

It depends on how I get the sex. 

lol. Not to the Universe, but hey that's what this is about experiencing duality when there's really none. Part of the delusion is not applying this same reasoning to everything else, so we get stuck, stuck in a loop.....oh well, I understand this is the relative but we still have to live in the relative and I understand from the Absolute perspective there's no such thing as morality or morality is subjective or this or that then this and that is trying to detangle itself from the web of self deception and now threads like these get borne followed by comments like these leaving the recipient confused as to what is being said, You tell me if that's not utter insanity. 

Edited by Princess Arabia

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

That video on Goodness is not what I am talking about. It is too metaphysical and disconnected from everyday human affairs.

This right here is exactly what I'm talking about in my comment. Perfect example how we mentally disconnect from the Absolute and then try to solve something that they say is too metaphysical because we're dealing with worldly affairs, when the worldly affairs stem from the Absolute. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, r0ckyreed said:

If a Devil were to watch it, they still wouldn’t know how to act good in society.

If "being a devil" and "acting good" are relative it cannot be measured. So saying "they would still know how to act bad" is arbitrary.

Posted (edited)

😂

His videos on Integrity, Wisdom, Happiness, the 60 principles of Actualized.org

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

All of morality just boils down to minimizing the suffering your selfishness causes others.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

how moral i am is the extent to which i undo self bias

in recognition that you are just as important as i am

to be moral is to walk the tight rope of implementing and not obstructing both our agendas

if you live closeby, you are my moral imperative, i assume responsibility for your needs ... if my next door neighbour is hungry then i willingly go hungry

if you live far away then less so since i cannot help everyone

Edited by gettoefl

Posted (edited)

@gettoefl What if your compassion for 1 kills 20,000?

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

All of morality just boils down to minimizing the suffering your selfishness causes others.

Right. That is simple on paper but is so complex in practice. Your blog post suggests that it is so difficult to implement morality in practice. We can create laws that are out of good intentions but turn out to have horrific outcomes. I went to Portland, Oregon and saw how the drug decriminalization has negatively impacted that state. Liberals can have utopian ideas that seem good on paper, but when implemented, they don’t turn out the best.

Even ethics when it comes to mental health is so complex because mental health is complex. I can be selfless and compassionate and still make dumb mistakes out of my best intentions. I would say that it is more than selflessness vs selfishness. It is about wisdom vs ignorance. Reality vs deception. I consider myself really selfless, but my desire to defund the military out of a selfless desire to end innocent killings could lead to more innocent deaths. 

Edited by r0ckyreed

9 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@gettoefl What if your compassion for 1 kills 20,000?

i am here to save you and nobody else

to save one is to save the world

you are my beloved because you are in front of me, the masses elsewhere better find their own savior

@gettoefl huh

◭"89"

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It seems you like boiling a lot of stuff down, this is why I like your “Leo’s Super Healthy Vegetable Soup” video. :D

The problem is that people don't realize that morality is relative.

3 hours ago, r0ckyreed said:

Right. That is simple on paper but is so complex in practice.

When it comes to building government, yeah.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.